Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism? Religious Buddhism? Why not both? Or neither?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited December 2013 in Philosophy
On this forum (and on others that I won't mention for fear of retaliation :eek: ), like in real life, there seems to be this "battle" when it comes to secularism and religion.

"We don't need silly superstitions. Just follow the 8FP and 5P. It will do you good to be more secular with your Buddhist practice".

"No! Don't ignore what *insert sutra here* says. A rebirth in one of the hells must be avoided"!

That being said, I would like to say that I understand the appeal of secular Buddhism and the rejection of more supernatural claims. However, I also understand the appeal of ritual, deity yoga, mantras, pujas, etc.

With this in mind, why does there need to be (a bit) of a confrontation between these two seemingly opposite spectrums of Buddhist practice? Why can't one, say, be both secular and religious with their practice? Or neither?

Let me use myself as an example. Let me start off by saying that, in the political sense, I'm definitely secular. I also do hold some secular Buddhist beliefs as well. I don't believe that scriptures or monks & nuns are infallible. I believe that all three are subject to criticism if A.) there is a passage we don't agree with or B.) a monk/nun says or does something that seems to go against what one views as right views, speech, etc. I also don't believe in literal Karma, and am agnostic to rebirth (although I do relatively believe in it). Humanism is also a fairly big part of my philosophy.

However, I do hold many religious views as well. Leftover from my Hindu days, I like pujas and will start performing them soon. I believe in a mini-pantheon of deities (Hindu, Buddhist and otherwise) as Dharma protectors (not as the supreme god of the universe). I believe that ritual, when done mindfully, can help us center on our practice. I also can't help but to chant along with mantras when one begins and find great spiritual value in them. I also am giving Pure Land Buddhism a chance (even though I have my own interpretation of what exactly Amitabha and the Pure Land are); when, not even weeks ago, I would have discarded it due to it having a "savior figure".

What is the point I'm trying to make with this? Well, despite the fact that we humans like to create a black and white duality with virtuality everything, there is no need for internet bickering over labels such as "secular" or "religious". Don't get me wrong, while I love a good discussion, and while they certainly have their place in vocabulary, it eventually gets to the point where the words are so overused, they they almost become meaningless.

As practitioners of Dharma (this also includes Hindus, Sikhs and Jains), the general goal is to attain enlightenment/nirvana/moshka/liberation/union from the cycle of birth and death (literal or metaphorical). While, of course, what "enlightenment" exactly is is incredibly subjective, we are all pretty much in the same boat. We all suffer, we all have sorrow and anger. But we also experience joy and happiness as well. We are all Buddhists, no matter what words we use to label such. I think that's much more important than how one practices; as long as they practice with all of their heart and mind to the best of their abilities. That is much more important than whether one is "secular" or "religious".

:om:
lobsterCinorjerriverflowmisterCopeDavidInvincible_summerseanjaeTheswingisyellow

Comments

• The battle is internal, eternal and sometimes infernal. We have different needs and understandings at different times.
    For example I see The Virgin Mary as an emanation of Tara, I see some atheists as deeply spiritual truth seekers and Islam as a personification of peace. In fact if I saw 'the Buddha on the road', chances is he would have been killed by the local Buddhists . . . That is how deluded I have become. I am a hopeless case. :crazy:

and now back to the battle grounds . . .
    anatamanVastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @poptart - you have summed it up…

If you have studied comparative religions all come to similar conclusions on many things, whatever the theism. All appear to emphasise developing a working meditation practice to become liberated from the human condition.

Hinduism, appears to have derived similar conclusions regarding time and space as modern day science, but through meditation and contemplation rather than experimenting with particles and waves.

However you approach it, just hold these terms loosely and not get bound up in the argument - it goes nowhere!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    DaftChris said:

Well, despite the fact that we humans like to create a black and white duality with virtually everything...

Yes, I think that's the problem - over-simplistic dichotomies. And we all get attached to our opinions, which leads to point-scoring rather than balanced discussion.
    edited December 2013
    Cinorjer said:

....Buddhists who so easily come to unshakable belief and faith...

I haven't come across any western Buddhists like that, and most of the people I've known struggle with this kind of stuff. I think it would be good if we could get away from simplistic stereotypes like this.
    Chaz
  • Cinorjer said:

I haven't come across any western Buddhists like that, and most of the people I've known struggle with this kind of stuff. I think it would be good if we could get away from simplistic stereotypes like this.
    How about "appear to so easily..." This is from my own, highly skeptical mind's point of reference. And to me, it does seem other people come to belief easily. Doesn't mean it feels that way to the people I'm debating, of course. Part of the whole different languages thing.

betaboy
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

How about "appear to so easily..." This is from my own, highly skeptical mind's point of reference. And to me, it does seem other people come to belief easily. Doesn't mean it feels that way to the people I'm debating, of course. Part of the whole different languages thing.

I cannot say i have unshakable faith(really the word is best translated as confidence) in the buddha and his teachings yet, because im not a stream winner.

What i do have is a strong confidence, because so far in my practice what the buddha said has been confirmed. I can see someone having unwavering confidence in the practice, so long as the buddha's dhamma continues to be confirmed. If it stops being confirmed then im sure my confidence would end.

Its similar to the confidence someone has when they get into a plane. regardless of irrational fears, there is a extremely strong confidence based on experience that the plane will land safely and you will continue to live.

Saddha - Pali word of the day

saddha [saddhaa]: Conviction, faith. A confidence in the Buddha that gives one the willingness to put his teachings into practice. Conviction becomes unshakeable upon the attainment of stream-entry (see sotapanna).- from Access to Insight, “A Glossary of Pali 
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Sorry, no time to read the responses in between, sorry if I repeat anything. And caveat -- you all can believe what ever you like, more power too you & you don't even have to call me a Buddhist if you don't want to. So back to the question:

Being simply a-religious means your ethical code is the Ohio Revised Code (if you live in Ohio) and Federal laws, i.e. ethics becomes just secular law. This is a pretty dull sense of ethics-- Buddhists have been thinking about ethics in a sophisticated manner for 2500 years, so they have a head start on what ever competing secular systems exist.

You can't get rid of culture-- there will still be excuses for holidays, even for atheists. Tomorrow is Bodhi day, I'll celebrate it-- it's a reminder to practice & an excuse for a celebration.

The Marxist interpretation of religion is that it is simply paracitism, i.e. some holy man tricks the less smart into giving money for no benefits, i.e. no more benefit that I'd get from buying ocean front property in Arizona. However, I take the position that stuff that looks like religious activity is in direct competition with psychologists, psychiatrists and ethical and illegal drug dealers, and to some extent in competition with consumerism (i.e. buying stuff to become happy and to have meaning and identity in life). Buddhist practice offer a solution to the problems that atheists are trying to solve when they pop prozac, chug vodka, or shell out money to therapists (or spend money on status symbols)--- and the objectively efficacious part of practice doesn't call for magic or gods or an afterlife. (Again, if people are in Buddhism only for that part, more power to them, but for secular people, there is still a point to it all even if one is atheist and extinctionalist)

Of all the organized (and unorganized religions), Buddhism is the only religion that isn't reduced to pointlessness if you remove the afterlife and supernatural. You can't do the same trick with Christianity-- if you remove God from Christianity, there is nothing left of interest to any one-- a big stilted book about superstitious events and a cruel system of ethics. If you suspect Buddhism collapses without supernatural Boddhisatvas and a heaven-like nirvana or rebirth, you maybe be imagining that Buddhism is Christianity with the names swapped out, which it isn't.
    jae
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

...And caveat -- you all can believe what ever you like, more power too you & you don't even have to call me a Buddhist if you don't want to. ...

Of all the organized (and unorganized religions), Buddhism is the only religion that isn't reduced to pointlessness if you remove the afterlife and supernatural. You can't do the same trick with Christianity-- if you remove God from Christianity, there is nothing left of interest to any one-- a big stilted book about superstitious events and a cruel system of ethics. If you suspect Buddhism collapses without supernatural Boddhisatvas and a heaven-like nirvana or rebirth, you maybe be imagining that Buddhism is Christianity with the names swapped out, which it isn't.

First, do you call yourself a Buddhist? Do you act in a Buddhist way? Then I call you a Buddhist, whether secular or religious.

Well now, the ego of Buddhism (at least as expressed here) that Christianity would collapse with God. No. There is still a widely adopted moral code, particularly as expressed in the New Testament.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    DaftChris said:

On this forum (and on others that I won't mention for fear of retaliation :eek: ), like in real life, there seems to be this "battle" when it comes to secularism and religion.

"We don't need silly superstitions. Just follow the 8FP and 5P. It will do you good to be more secular with your Buddhist practice".

"No! Don't ignore what *insert sutra here* says. A rebirth in one of the hells must be avoided"!

That being said, I would like to say that I understand the appeal of secular Buddhism and the rejection of more supernatural claims. However, I also understand the appeal of ritual, deity yoga, mantras, pujas, etc.

With this in mind, why does there need to be (a bit) of a confrontation between these two seemingly opposite spectrums of Buddhist practice? Why can't one, say, be both secular and religious with their practice? Or neither?

That may be kind of tricky because we are all so unique. I don't think I could fall into either category exclusively because although I scrutinize all I hear, some things make sense to me that wouldn't be considered secular. I don't bother having faith in beliefs that can't be proven so to the more religious, I am not considered religious.
    Let me use myself as an example. Let me start off by saying that, in the political sense, I'm definitely secular. I also do hold some secular Buddhist beliefs as well. I don't believe that scriptures or monks & nuns are infallible. I believe that all three are subject to criticism if A.) there is a passage we don't agree with or B.) a monk/nun says or does something that seems to go against what one views as right views, speech, etc. I also don't believe in literal Karma, and am agnostic to rebirth (although I do relatively believe in it). Humanism is also a fairly big part of my philosophy.

However, I do hold many religious views as well. Leftover from my Hindu days, I like pujas and will start performing them soon. I believe in a mini-pantheon of deities (Hindu, Buddhist and otherwise) as Dharma protectors (not as the supreme god of the universe). I believe that ritual, when done mindfully, can help us center on our practice. I also can't help but to chant along with mantras when one begins and find great spiritual value in them. I also am giving Pure Land Buddhism a chance (even though I have my own interpretation of what exactly Amitabha and the Pure Land are); when, not even weeks ago, I would have discarded it due to it having a "savior figure".

What is the point I'm trying to make with this? Well, despite the fact that we humans like to create a black and white duality with virtuality everything, there is no need for internet bickering over labels such as "secular" or "religious". Don't get me wrong, while I love a good discussion, and while they certainly have their place in vocabulary, it eventually gets to the point where the words are so overused, they they almost become meaningless.
    However one labels themself is none of my business but when exclusivity of truth rears its ugly head, I like a good game of whack-a-mole. Especially when threats of hellish realms awaiting non-believers accompanies it.

Believing in hell realms other than what goes on here may be beneficial to some but it has absolutely no bearing on whether a person has a decent combination of wisdom and compassion.
    As practitioners of Dharma (this also includes Hindus, Sikhs and Jains), the general goal is to attain enlightenment/nirvana/moshka/liberation/union from the cycle of birth and death (literal or metaphorical). While, of course, what "enlightenment" exactly is is incredibly subjective, we are all pretty much in the same boat. We all suffer, we all have sorrow and anger. But we also experience joy and happiness as well. We are all Buddhists, no matter what words we use to label such. I think that's much more important than how one practices; as long as they practice with all of their heart and mind to the best of their abilities. That is much more important than whether one is "secular" or "religious".

:om:
    That's a big part of why I am non-sectarian.

• Everybody can believe what they want. Whatever floats your boat! In my practice I am probably more a 'religious' Buddhist. That doesn't mean I don't respect others practice because I know just like me that they want to be happy. And they are doing what works for them. But I think 'right view' includes views such as karma and dependent origination (the latter whipes out a physical world independent from mind.. at some interpretation).
    Cinorjer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jeffrey said:

Everybody can believe what they want. Whatever floats your boat! In my practice I am probably more a 'religious' Buddhist. That doesn't mean I don't respect others practice because I know just like me that they want to be happy. And they are doing what works for them. But I think 'right view' includes views such as karma and dependent origination (the latter whipes out a physical world independent from mind.. at some interpretation).

I agree with you but isn't the distinction between religious and secular more to do with rebirth and gods and/or a God-type thing?

• @ourself, I think there are bodhisattvas and Buddhas, but no Gods. Yes to rebirth. For me it is part of the mind's nature. http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/20103/the-quantum-and-the-lotus#latest
    David
    edited December 2013
    For me, it is as well @Jeffrey. We may disagree on a few things but I still think you have a great practice as you seem like a good hearted and wise person.

I think gods only exist in the minds of those who believe but that on some level they suffer and deserve to be freed. I also believe that the universe itself is undergoing a process of self discovery and that's the closest thing I could conceive as comparable to God/Brahman (Or even the manifestation of Maitreya if nobody will beat me for such blasphemy)

I don't have faith in these things but they make sense to me.

Secular, religious... These are just labels. I don't care which teachings appeal to which because their making sense is more important. I can't believe just because I want to believe.
    Jeffrey
    ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

Everybody can believe what they want. Whatever floats your boat! In my practice I am probably more a 'religious' Buddhist. That doesn't mean I don't respect others practice because I know just like me that they want to be happy. And they are doing what works for them. But I think 'right view' includes views such as karma and dependent origination (the latter whipes out a physical world independent from mind.. at some interpretation).

I agree with you but isn't the distinction between religious and secular more to do with rebirth and gods and/or a God-type thing?

Is a buddhist monk who is agnostic over rebirth and gods, a religous Buddhist, or a secular one?
    Jayantha said:

ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

Is a buddhist monk who is agnostic over rebirth and gods, a religous Buddhist, or a secular one?
    I'm not sure but in my eyes, they would certainly be a wise one.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Cinorjer said:
    But in my secret heart, I envy those Buddhists who so easily come to unshakable belief and faith, just a little. Sometimes I feel like a hungry man looking through a window at people sitting at a table to feast.
    You've had your post re-posted and chopped up into pieces quite a bit already, and now it's my turn :D

So I'm RELATING, sincerely, with this statement!! For what it's worth, growing up surrounded by a Christian milieu I felt always like the stomach rumbling outsider left out at the feast. While pastors and youth leaders, friends and even family have put in extreme effort on my behalf -- hell, *I* myself wanted it too -- it is as though the Christian religion spat me back out like an olive pit.

It's not that I couldn't see for the life of me what Jesus dying on the cross 2000 years ago had to do with MY eternal soul, it's that I lack a basic function when it comes to religion: faith based belief. When Jesus said "Blessed is he who doesn't see but believes", well, I am not blessed and never have been.

I discovered Buddhism in my mid twenties; though it can appear to be a faith-based religion (karma and rebirth for example) it is more like an 'approach' to life that proves itself each step of the way. The only 'faith' I ever needed was to take a chance to apply a principle to my life or take a stab at meditation.

CLEARLY, to me anyway, Buddhism coming from Tibet or Thailand or China through Japan is clothed in the trappings of the culture it took root in. Those trappings are adornments to a Teaching, they are not immutable PARTS of the Teaching, but ladders and ropes TO the teaching that sprang up for the individuals of that culture to access the Teachings.

In the West, where there is growing disinterest (lightly put :D ) in metaphysics of all sorts, a 'secular' Buddhism is just beginning to coalesce around the Teachings. To me, 'secular' Buddhism is just Western Buddhism TAKING ROOT. Finally taking root!

It's fine to be a Soto Zen westerner, and even though I squint when someone calls themselves Roshi Albert Smith (I don't get it, OK?) 'secular' Buddhism is merely Buddhism without the cultural trappings of OTHER cultures where Buddhism has taken root.

Buddhism becomes faith-based, for me, when I get the impression I have to 'believe' something that I do not or have not experienced. I have not, to my knowledge, experienced rebirth, or visitation by Avalokitashivara though a couple of Tibetan demons are looking a lot like certain individuals from my past.

When I say "I do not or have not experienced" I mean I can't really relate it to my 48 years of experience living on Planet Earth. Buddhist Teachings carefully (and lovingly) dissected from Indian, Tibetan, Sri Lankan/Thailandic and Oriental cultural trappings RESONATES like, well, like big Zen bowls within me :) No faith necessary! Just doing! Just being :)

Gassho <------ I just like what that word means, OK???? :D

Cinorjer

• DaftChris said:

That's a very good question. I've never understood why people on Buddhist forums have been hostile toward secular Buddhism. Here on NB, generally, some of us promote the "different strokes for different folks, it's all good" spirit. And there's one Buddhist forum that really supports secular Buddhism and posts discussions and podcasts by Stephen and Martine Batchelor, which is refreshing. But some forums are more dogmatic than others. Choose carefully, and do your own thing.

• Jayantha said:

This was where Stephen Batchelor found himself after his stint in a Tibetan Buddhism monastery. This is what lead him to write about his path to secular Buddhism.

edited December 2013
    Dakini said:

I've never understood why people on Buddhist forums have been hostile toward secular Buddhism.

Most of the hostility I've seen on forums is directed at those expresssing traditional views.
    Chazcvalue
    Jayantha said:

Is a buddhist monk who is agnostic over rebirth and gods, a religieous Buddhist, or a secular one?

Somewhere in between. I think in practice there is a continuum and it looks like a bell curve ( a normal distribution ). There are a few people at one end ( completely secular ) and a few at the other ( completely religious ), but most people are somewhere in between.
    Chaz
    I count myself as a self identifying Buddhist.
    vinlyn said:

Well now, the ego of Buddhism (at least as expressed here) that Christianity would collapse with God. No. There is still a widely adopted moral code, particularly as expressed in the New Testament.

The moral code in Christianity doesn't have any rule generating principles. They are rules that are rules because they are rules. (God made them, evidenced by a book, enforced by post mortem reward and punishment.) To try to extract out of that something secular is sort of like trying to pull quantum physics or biological evolution out of ancient pali texts. Maybe it can be done with mental gymnastics, but what is the point? That edifice is creaky, unrepairable.

I follow C J Lewis's advice : "Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. " ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis's_trilemma

I think he was a fool and possibly ahistorical.

Dakini said:

I've never understood why people on Buddhist forums have been hostile toward secular Buddhism.

Most of the hostility I've seen on forums is directed at those expresssing traditional views.
    I've seen it come from a few directions but I don't think I've seen any hostility exactly. Not on this forum anyways.

I've seen a bit of aggression from the secular towards the religious, the religious towards the secular, the veggies towards the meat eaters, the meat eaters towards the veggies, the vegans towards the veggies, the veggies towards the vegans (not so much), the fundamentalists towards the skeptics, the skeptics towards the fundamentalists and some towards individual posters because of how they express whichever view.

On the whole, this is the most realistic Buddhist board I've come across. One that transcends our petty disagreements in perception.

Chazriverflow
    Cinorjer said:

You want to know the first and most impressive thing I noticed about this great NewBuddhist forum here? The great folks who run it didn't divide the thing into "Here's where Zen Buddhism comments are allowed, and here's where Tibetan Buddhism comments go, and we'll have one little area where debates are allowed but everywhere else nobody gets to disagree and we'll jump in and immediately delete an OT post..." And everyone migrates to their own little spot and nobody really communicates. Real dialog is messy and wanders around a bit and I learn fascinating things from people.

That's funny, I feel somewhat (note, somewhat) the opposite. I think some of our little tifts come when someone expresses a Zen viewpoint versus a Theravada viewpoint (for example), without us knowing which perspective the person is coming from. Sometimes I later find myself thinking, oh I get it now, different school of thought. On the other hand, this tendency has widened my perspective a bit.

In terms of moderation, anyone notice a distinct change lately?

The moral code in Christianity doesn't have any rule generating principles. They are rules that are rules because they are rules. (God made them, evidenced by a book, enforced by post mortem reward and punishment.) To try to extract out of that something secular is sort of like trying to pull quantum physics or biological evolution out of ancient pali texts. Maybe it can be done with mental gymnastics, but what is the point? That edifice is creaky, unrepairable.

And yet, half of Ten Commandments parallel the 5 Precepts. And, in fact, pretty much follow the rules of most major religions. And many major laws of most countries follow those rules, so that's where the secular aspect comes in.

riverflow

• Most of the hostility I've seen on forums is directed at those expresssing traditional views.

What forums are you on? I haven't seen that at all. Even on NB, when the Batchelors and Secular Buddhism come up as a topic, the going gets pretty rough against them. I'm encouraged by how well this thread is going, though. :) There are advantages to a highly fluid membership, with a steady influx of newbies.

vinlynanatamanHamsakariverflow
    http://secularbuddhism.org/2012/07/09/what-is-a-secular-buddhist-and-what-do-they-believe/

http://middlewayphilosophy.wordpress.com/secular-buddhism/
    Dakini said:

What forums are you on? I haven't seen that at all. Even on NB, when the Batchelors and Secular Buddhism come up as a topic, the going gets pretty rough against them. I'm encouraged by how well this thread is going, though. :) There are advantages to a highly fluid membership, with a steady influx of newbies.

I couldn't agree with you more @Dakini. Especially when I have been disagreeing on other threads on NB - equanimity prevails ;-)
  • It's a little frustrating when you are suffering a problem with meditation and people just tell you to do another method. Now mind you I am better off asking my teacher and I do that.

At the same time I treasure the other opinion of meditation so long as I have time and energy to check up on their sources.
    edited December 2013
    Jeffrey said:

It's a little frustrating when you are suffering a problem with meditation and people just tell you to do another method.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Perhaps this is inevitable on a pan-Buddhist forum?
    Dakini said:

What forums are you on? I haven't seen that at all.
    I've been on most of the forums at one time or another. I can think of several that are dominated by people with secular views, but none that are dominated by people with traditional views.

• I wonder how many of you noticed that every Buddhist online forum, whether secular, non-secular, or mixed, no matter where it originates, or which 'tradition' of Buddhism is its main focus - is unquestionably dominated by males.
    Just a curious point, no?
    Hamsaka
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited December 2013
    MaryAnne said:

I wonder how many of you noticed that every Buddhist online forum, whether secular, non-secular, or mixed, no matter where it originates, or which 'tradition' of Buddhism is its main focus - is unquestionably dominated by males.

Why do you think that is?
    It's possible that women have more and closer friends to talk to. Men overall are lonelier.
    Or maybe men need to grind through things more than women in order to understand.
    Or maybe women are less talkers, more doers when it come to Buddhism.
  • @MaryAnne why do you think this is? After all, except for what details we choose to divulge, an online forum should be gender neutral. Nothing but words.
  • MaryAnne said:

I wonder how many of you noticed that every Buddhist online forum, whether secular, non-secular, or mixed, no matter where it originates, or which 'tradition' of Buddhism is its main focus - is unquestionably dominated by males.

Aren't there more males on the internet generally? Genuine question, I have no idea.
    MaryAnne said:

Ive heard statistics that more females are buddhists in the west then males(I've also seen more females then males in most places I've been to), maybe they are all too busy actually practicing dhamma to come on here and debate ?:P
    MaryAnneTheswingisyellow
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Poptart

Interesting question... I have no clue about the male-to-female statistics as far as internet use goes. Wonder if we can google it. But then again, we're not limited to just the US (on this or most forums) so I doubt the numbers are accurate everywhere...
    Among my friends, I think it's pretty even as far as which gender uses the internet in general. :: shrugs:::

Edited to add. There seems to be no shortage of women /girls using the internet for female related sites, as well as sites like facebook, Pinterest, parenting sites, etc.
    edited December 2013
    Anyone have any experience with Christian forums - or other religious forums? Do you or did you notice a big difference in the male vs female participation?
    I have very limited experience on Christian sites, but what I did see was that they are generally run/maintained/managed by men, but the participants run slightly to the female side. But like I said, I have a very limited experience with that...
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

Anyone have any experience with Christian forums - or other religious forums? Do you or did you notice a big difference in the male vs female participation?

I have participated in Christian forums, even as a Buddhist. I was involved with a controversial and some say heretical Christian group about 40 years ago and these forums supported duscussion of that group.

The male/female ratio was similar to what we see here.
    re: gender & website usage

People seem to segregate by gender on the internet. Women also are more likely to stick to "walled gardens" (such as face book), less likely to show up in anonymous online communities, more likely to participate as "gender neutral", i.e. you can't tell from their name or posts what gender they are.

If some % of potential new Buddhist women kept moving after reading things like the Medicine Buddha's 8th vow, well, I can't blame them.

"12. To help women who wish to be reborn as men achieve their desired rebirth."
    ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhaisajyaguru#The_Twelve_Vows
    Hamsaka
    Jayantha said:

Ive heard statistics that more females are buddhists in the west then males(I've also seen more females then males in most places I've been to), maybe they are all too busy actually practicing dhamma to come on here and debate ?:P

Yes, more than likely. ;)
  • @Chaz said: " The male/female ratio was similar to what we see here. "

With none of us knowing the actual numbers for 'here', what would your guestimate be?
    I'm guessing it's about 80% male, 20% female. With actual participation being somewhere around 90% - 10%.
    About right...but your voice makes up for a lot of it! :lol:
    MaryAnneriverflowjae
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

Not at all, it's about beliefs and meaning. If someone holds ANY Buddhists beliefs they are subscribing to that belief system. The Four Nobel Truths, for instance, are religious beliefs. A "secular" Buddists who believes the FNTs is fooling themselves, or they are merely abusing the term.
    Nevermind said:

Not at all, it's about beliefs and meaning. If someone holds ANY Buddhists beliefs they are subscribing to that belief system. The Four Nobel Truths, for instance, are religious beliefs. A "secular" Buddists who believes the FNTs is fooling themselves, or they are merely abusing the term.

No, I don't agree with that.

In fact, I don't see anything about the 4NT that is particularly religious, any more than most other wisdom is religious.

riverflowChaz
    edited December 2013
    I was just about to say the same thing (as @vinlyn) .... there is nothing overtly 'religious' about the 4 noble truths nor the 8 fold path. They are more or less "observations" (about suffering) and the "instructions" to reduce and/or eliminate one's suffering....

No mention of 'god', heaven, hell, ghosts, demons, or any "otherworldly" spiritual stuff.

vinlynriverflowanataman
This discussion has been closed.