Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Best Book on Lojong?

Recently, I've become interested in learning about the lojong practice. I like the approach of embracing both the dark and the light, and using both as leverage for creating compassion. Many of the "slogans" seem to bear a direct relationship with the Pali teachings I've studied. For instance, "Observe how all experience is like a dream" is essentially a riff on the first verse of the Dhammapada: "All experience is preceded by mind." And "Recall the nature of unborn awareness" seems to me from the same cloth as the Zen "Remember your original face before you were born."

I'm looking at a few different books on the topic right now, including ones by Pema Chodron, Chogyam Trungpa, and Norman Fischer. Does anyone have recommendations?

Comments

• I am reading Trungpa's Training the Mind and it is quite thorough and eye opening.

I also read Pema's Start Where You Are 2 or 3 times and it is great.

If you have never read anything by Trungpa or if you really like him I would recommend his book. If you are ehhh on Trungpa then try the Pema book.
    Glow
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Start Where You Are is very good as an intro.

Training the Mind by CTR is probably the best handbook on the subject

Check out http://lojongmindtraining.com/
    Glow
  • Thanks guys! Those were the two I had settled on. I think I'll start with Pema's book, as I've read two of hers before and liked them, and also buy have Trungpa's on hand for afterward as his book seems more detailed.

That is a very useful website, Chaz!
    sova
    Glow said:

That is a very useful website, Chaz!

I think so, too.

It's a simple matter to compare different teachers' take on the various slogans, which can be very helpful in getting a sound grasp of them. If CTR's stuff doesn't connect for you, maybe Ani Pema's will. That sort of thing.

A very valuable resource.
    sovaGlow
  • Mahayana Mind Training (Seven sections... just change the "1" at the end of the URL to "2" to get to the next section, etc.)
    Glow
    Ken McLeod is excellent. Good choice!
    sova
  • Yes, he has a bunch of interesting commentary on mind training on his blog, too.
    sova
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    8 Steps to Happiness & Universal Compassion.

www.Tharpa.com
    sovaGlow
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    it makes me so happy to see a thread about lojong :D
    Glow
  • Thank you all. I didn't realize there were so many resources for this available. Seems I'll have more than enough to keep me busy for a long while. :)
    sova
    Something you may find of interest are "lojong slogan cards"

http://www.samadhicushions.com/Lojong-Slogan-Cards-p/s-1488.htm
    Glow