Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The journey to a monastery.

Hello, I'm planning to spend sometime,about 3 months living in a monastery preferably outside the US where I currently reside. This subject is completely new to me and unfortunately I have no idea where to begin my planning for this experience which I hope to be able to go on a year and a half from now. So if anyone could offer me some guidance as to how I can make this idea a reality or where I should begin my search I would be very grateful.

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Do you have any idea about Buddhist tradition and country? I think thats probably the first two things. Then you have to look into getting a visitor visa with said country, in addition of course to speaking with the monastery and finding out if/when you can come.
  • During that year and a half try and visit a USA monastery for a weekend. That should provide a beginning. :)
    BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @adiaz800 - I would second @lobster's suggestion. Try a stay a local monastery before spending a whackload of money on flying abroad and maybe realizing you don't like the whole experience (or the country).

You should also probably get an idea of what tradition you're wanting to delve into.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Are you willing to learn a foreign language, OP? Like Thai, Mandarin, or Japanese?
  • Thanks for the great feed back, I've found a local monastery and I'm going to pay a visit in the upcoming week
    lobster
  • wonderful news. I hope it all goes well. :wave: