Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bowing before buddha statues

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
If you bow before a statue of a buddha, when and why do you do it?

Comments

• To take refuge in the Buddha.
    riverflowChazInvincible_summer
  • Also (and same thing as refuge) I use it to shore up my commitment so that I am more motivated.
    anataman
  • @Jayantha, you are an awesome dude too. :p
    riverflow
  • Jayantha said:

Honor to the awesome dude(yes I say awesome dude) sidharta, who showed us dhamma

Sorry! Any opportunity to make a Big Lebowsky reference...!
    BhikkhuJayasaralobsterEvenThirdrobot
  • (actually, the Buddha NON-abides ha)
    EvenThird
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    riverflow said:

Jayantha said:

Honor to the awesome dude(yes I say awesome dude) sidharta, who showed us dhamma

Sorry! Any opportunity to make a Big Lebowsky reference...!
    opportunity gloriously well taken! ahahha. Yes.. Siddhartha does abide :)

also @cvalue I have heard the explanation of bowing as part of lessening the ego. Can't say I've been able to see that quite yet with my own ego blocking the way, but it does make sense to me in a way. It reminds me of the practice I do of letting people get in front of me on the road when i see my ego start to get annoyed at them hah,
    cvalue
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A sign of respect toward Buddha and Buddhism. An opportunity to say, "To the Buddha I go for refuge, to the Dhamma I go for refuge, to the Sangha I go for refuge." An opportunity to begin to focus.
    lobsterriverflowcvalueInvincible_summer
  • As usual I have misunderstood who I am bowing to. The Buddha is my future self. It is not me that is bowing. After all I am empty of inherent being. The statue is empty. All form is empty and emptying is form.

http://dudeism.com/faq/

:bowdown:
    riverflowChazanatamanEvenThird
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    When I enter a shrine room for practice, I do 3 prostrations with a Six-Fold Refuge (Guru, Yidams, Buddha, Dharma, Sangha and Protectors) before each. If I go in the room to clean up or get a book off the shelf I bow when I enter and leave - respect for the space.
    riverflowanataman
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    It's very good exercise. A few dozen prostrations helps offset the motionlessness of sitting meditation.
    riverflowInvincible_summeranataman

It's very good exercise. A few dozen prostrations helps offset the motionlessness of sitting meditation.

Boy Howdy!

I took an extended break from Ngondro and and when I started back up a while back, I was only able to do 27 P's and had to go to visualized P's instead. My legs hurt for a week afterwards.

I'll get back up to 108 soon enough
    :D
    lobstercvaluematthewmartin
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I read the title of the thread and snorted a little, and then noticed my reaction with curiosity. I read the Existential Buddhism link (thank you, great article). My personal reactions to bowing all came up and it's quite a little slide show. "Bowing" is so "asian", and in the West, "bowing" is, or was, a gentlemanly etiquette a hundred years ago, not a religious activity. In Western lore, one bows before one's "betters". These modern days, there are no 'betters' than oneself, but we'll incline our head (any maybe a bit in the shoulders) when we meet someone important to us, or to express a kind of 'humble servant' intention, like when I'm working with patients and families.

The thought of bowing to a statue of the Buddha makes me squint, but I 'bow' all the time, in that head-inclining way, and I do it clearly to express my respect and willingness to help.

Maybe that Judeo-Christian proscription against idol worship really got to me, bowing to a statue, even if it is the veritable savior of humankind, just doesn't seem like something I'd FEEL like doing.

But I really hear you @Jayantha, I recognize that experience you shared. I totally get it. Perhaps I am just not 'feeling the bow' YET.

Physical, ritualistic religious 'humility' acts have always eluded my understanding, I honestly don't get it. That said, I'm open and willing, not opposed, just . . . :shrug:

Gassho :) <----- On the other hand, I DIG 'gassho' and really mean it! I 'get' gassho :)
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Thank you all for your awesome contributions. :bowdown:

When I go into a shrine, I don't bow to the form of the statue, I bow with the mindfulness that the form of the statue is inherently empty, and emptiness is its form.

When I bow to the emptiness within it and in each and every one of us, I am stimulated to take refuge. It brings the 4NT's to life and motivates the pursuit of the path that is the middle way.

Bowing before the image of the buddha enables me to respect and have compassion for myself, and others.

When I was younger, foolish and sceptical I regarded it as a nonsense, and for religious fanatics. Now I see it as a powerful and inspirational practice for mindfulness.

Mettha

riverflow
  • We're not worthy.

A dharma friend of mine was a non practicing Jew. In deference, in effect bowing, to his historical lineage, he would at the time not bow to statues. Many of us have associations of enslavement, dharma aristocracy and idle Idols from our past, perhaps from attending rock concerts, church or temple.

Sometimes people forget when they bow to the ideal, rather than the idol, a thousand Pure Buddhas bow back . . .
    anatamanriverflow
    Hamsaka said:

I read the title of the thread and snorted a little, and then noticed my reaction with curiosity. I read the Existential Buddhism link (thank you, great article). My personal reactions to bowing all came up and it's quite a little slide show. "Bowing" is so "asian", and in the West, "bowing" is, or was, a gentlemanly etiquette a hundred years ago, not a religious activity. In Western lore, one bows before one's "betters". These modern days, there are no 'betters' than oneself, but we'll incline our head (any maybe a bit in the shoulders) when we meet someone important to us, or to express a kind of 'humble servant' intention, like when I'm working with patients and families.

The thought of bowing to a statue of the Buddha makes me squint, but I 'bow' all the time, in that head-inclining way, and I do it clearly to express my respect and willingness to help.

Maybe that Judeo-Christian proscription against idol worship really got to me, bowing to a statue, even if it is the veritable savior of humankind, just doesn't seem like something I'd FEEL like doing.

But I really hear you @Jayantha, I recognize that experience you shared. I totally get it. Perhaps I am just not 'feeling the bow' YET.

Physical, ritualistic religious 'humility' acts have always eluded my understanding, I honestly don't get it. That said, I'm open and willing, not opposed, just . . . :shrug:

Gassho :) <----- On the other hand, I DIG 'gassho' and really mean it! I 'get' gassho :)</p>

I don't even know what Gassho means, although it is a word you could have some grammatical fun with right off the bat LOL..

first I think we need to understand the concept of bowing from the eastern perspective, which appears to me to be more of a sign of respect and not necessarily anything more.

I think with regards to idols and the like, that there are various levels of worship with the Buddha statue. There are those in some traditions that seem to revere him more like a god or at least a supernatural being and bow to the statue for reasons related to that. Then there are those who revere him only as the awesome dude who found a way out of suffering and use the statue as a way to ground themselves and remind themselves of the teachings.

now of course we know these days the whole buddha statue thing was actually an invention of the west... there were no statues of the buddha before Greek influence some 500 years later, which coincidentally is also about the time the teachings started to be written down. Did you know that there were Buddhist schools and viharas in Alexandria? who knows what Buddhist knowledge we lost when the great library was destroyed(in addition to it setting the human race back 1000 years).

Before the Greek influence brought in statues, the symbol of the buddha was a footprint with the dhamma wheel at the heel

so of course what is lost, or what is unknown, is whether there were any sort of bowing or devotional practices in those first 500 years.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • I do three bows at the beginning and end of my little sadhana, which is really nothing more than Refuge, Bodhisattva Vow, Bodhicitta Prayer, Pure Land Rebirth Dharani, prayer for well-being of all beings and dedication prayer. I also sound the bell three times. Because the shrine is in a common area (corner of the dining room/living room), and though I may not be dressed "properly", I'm developing the habit of bowing, or at least making the anjali mudra as I approach or pass. I wish I had a more secluded or private space for the shrine. But alas, we can only do the best we can do.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    My Zen teacher's teacher was once bowing at the entrance to the meditation hall. A student walked up beside him and asked, "Why are you bowing to a statue? I spit." The teacher replied mildly, "I bow. You spit."

For the purposes of hope and belief, those instigators of action, it is good practice to bow. But with practice comes experience (the experience that trumps hope and belief) ... at which point hope and belief are no longer so necessary.

And at such a point, bowing is just bowing and spitting is just spitting ... same stuff differently expressed.
    anatamanChazriverflowzenff
    ^^^ I love Zen stories.
    @Chaz -- If you haven't already seen it, you might enjoy -- ho-ho-ho in keeping with the season -- "The Cucumber Sage."
    That background gave me a headache!

• @genkaku, that was really your teacher from the story? I had heard that one too.
    edited December 2013
    ^^^^^ @Jeffrey -- It was my teacher's teacher, Soen Nakagawa Roshi. Here is what I imagine is a more accurate version of the story.
    Jeffrey
  • riverflow said:

In the Plum Village tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh (Vietnamese Chan/Zen), before prostrations the monastics chant: "The One who bows and the one who is bowed to, both of them are, by their nature, empty."

In bowing to others, I bow to Buddha (what is not Buddha?). I used to bow to my cat every time before I did zazen.

For myself, bowing before the Buddha is first and foremost a sign of gratitude for the teachings and the embodiment of those teachings-- not merely the embodiment by the individual referred to historically as Shakyamuni (i.e. the nirmanakaya) but Buddha as manifested anywhere and everywhere (i.e. the dharmakaya). Bowing is one of the most beautiful of Buddhist practices I think.

Riverflow:
    Your thought is beautiful and I'm sure it has great value. Yes we are alike in emptiness.
    I also Have gratitude for teachings I have received. The Buddha represents all of my kind and generous teachers-so many. I have never bowed to a statue. I think it might be stiffness I developed from my Christian childhood. I do think on emptiness whenever I see one of my Buddha statues-I love having them around. Best, Dennis

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    @Jayantha; thanks for your response, and the image of what originally signified the Buddha -- absolutely wonderful. I haven't obtained or made any 'visual' representations of the Buddhadharma for myself or home, but this foot image may start something.

Yes, 'bowing' as simple respect is no hurdle for me. Bowing in simple respect to another person is no hurdle, either. Bowing at a statue or image doesn't resonate as much. I don't think I even know what a puja is nor have I seen someone do one (that's what YouTube is for!). It makes perfect sense, in a heart-sort of way, for there to be physical movement expression of respect, and it makes sense that the prayerful 'bow' or puja is a heckuva lot more powerful and meaningful as a doing than me trying to understand it on an internet forum.

"Gassho" is Japanese, and basically means your hands together before you, at face level, and a kind of small bow. It's a gesture of bodhicitta, and the hands-together is a mudra, I believe. These are the things I am least knowledgeable about. I picked up "gassho" in an instant of recognition, what it meant to me when I discovered it. You could use 'sincerely' or 'love' or 'with metta' after a post to acknowledge your respect for those who will read it, kind of the same thing :)

Gassho :)
  • but this foot image may start something.

Well instead of bowing, we might be kissing feet as they do in some lobsterian visualisations and ritual enactments . . .

When the Temple guardians of the future become roboticized we may just shake hands with a guarding Garuda or cyber sangha.

for now . . .
    riverflow
  • Dennis1 said:

Riverflow:
    Your thought is beautiful and I'm sure it has great value. Yes we are alike in emptiness.
    I also Have gratitude for teachings I have received. The Buddha represents all of my kind and generous teachers-so many. I have never bowed to a statue. I think it might be stiffness I developed from my Christian childhood. I do think on emptiness whenever I see one of my Buddha statues-I love having them around. Best, Dennis

Thanks, @Dennis1 - It took a while for me to get used to bowing (especially full-on prostrations) - it seemed foreign and artificial. But this is probably true of any religious practice. There came a moment for me when it "clicked." Maybe one day it will "click" for you too. I think the physical activity itself-- embodying this acknowledgment -- is beautiful, not unlike making the sign of the cross (I was raised Catholic, so ritual at least isn't too "exotic" for me).
    edited December 2013
    lobster said:

but this foot image may start something.

Well instead of bowing, we might be kissing feet as they do in some lobsterian visualisations and ritual enactments . . .

When the Temple guardians of the future become roboticized we may just shake hands with a guarding Garuda or cyber sangha.

for now . . .

The new pope is a Franciscan, oddly enough growing up in the catholic church I always had a strong affinity to Franciscan Monks.. might be because they are about as close to a Buddhist monk as anything Catholic will ever be haha.

humility and humbleness are good qualities in a human, regardless of religion.
    EvenThirdlobsterriverflow
    My English teacher when I was at sixth form college was a Franciscan monk - he helped me see the poetry of life.
    BhikkhuJayasarariverflow