Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

David Bohm physics and western and eastern thought

This is interesting. David Bohm has a view that sounds like Buddhist.

anatamanZeroDennis1cvalueriverflowpoptart

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    This is brilliant @Jeffrey! Thank you for posting it.

I need to watch this a few times before making a comment - it is as insightful as any dharma talk I have heard.

Mettha
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    What can ya say . . . 'the truth will out'.

It soothes my westernized brain to listen to a genius scientist/philosopher describe what what my (our) heart already intuits. "Interview with David Bohm" is probably no more extraordinary, in terms of human genius, than the suttas and Teachings that preceeded it by 2500 years. But to my painfully western mind, it was amazing and reassuring, so thank you for sharing it @Jeffrey, a great way to spend 50 minutes :)

Gassho :)
  • Very fine. I think David is not well received by the scientific community. His ideas and especially his idea, that there are some things we can't know with science, have made him sort of cast out. But he has great beauty and integrity.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Dennis1 said:

Very fine. I think David is not well received by the scientific community. His ideas and especially his idea, that there are some things we can't know with science, have made him sort of cast out. But he has great beauty and integrity.

I've always been under the impression that he was considered one of the great physists of the last century. If its not the case could you provide some sort of documentation that we maybe shouldn't take his words as seriously.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'm impressed by his career...although we should realize he's been dead for quite a while now...and we should not always be attempting to link Buddhism and science. It always seems odd to me that people on this forum will rail against government + religion, but then try to link science + religion.
    riverflowcvalue
    vinlyn said:

I'm impressed by his career...although we should realize he's been dead for quite a while now...and we should not always be attempting to link Buddhism and science. It always seems odd to me that people on this forum will rail against government + religion, but then try to link science + religion.

Could you say some more about this, particularly the last part about linking science + religion? I think, peering over the edge of it, there is a treasure trove and a minefield of discussion to be had.

If Bohm's description of quantum field theory is in any way true, it almost sounds like someone figured out the Math beneath the unity of all things as described by the Buddha. I already see a lot wrong in my logic, but I'd like to hear what you think is wrong with that kind of logic, too.

Hamsaka said:

vinlyn said:

Could you say some more about this, particularly the last part about linking science + religion? I think, peering over the edge of it, there is a treasure trove and a minefield of discussion to be had.

If Bohm's description of quantum field theory is in any way true, it almost sounds like someone figured out the Math beneath the unity of all things as described by the Buddha. I already see a lot wrong in my logic, but I'd like to hear what you think is wrong with that kind of logic, too.

It isn't the logic of linking any particular science concept with Buddhism/religion that bothers me.

It's the potential of abuse by a religion that is the danger.

For example, go back to the Galileo affair: (from Wikipedia, a brief reminder): "The Galileo affair was a sequence of events, beginning around 1610, during which Galileo Galilei came into conflict with the Catholic Church over his support of Copernican astronomy. In 1610, Galileo published his Sidereus Nuncius (Starry Messenger), describing the surprising observations that he had made with the new telescope, namely the phases of Venus and the Galilean moons of Jupiter. He went on to propose a theory of tides in 1616, and of comets in 1619. He argued that the tides were evidence for the motion of the Earth, and promoted the heliocentric theory of Nicolaus Copernicus... Following mounting controversy over theology, astronomy and philosophy, the Roman Inquisition tried Galileo in 1633 and found him "gravely suspect of heresy", sentencing him to indefinite imprisonment. This was subsequently commuted to house arrest, under which he remained for the rest of his life." One of the greatest examples of what can happen when you attempt to merge science + religion.

Or think of how the Catholic Church could abuse scientific research on abortion.

In my view, to paraphrase, "Render unto science the things that are science, and unto religion the things that are religious". Of course, there's always the possibility that science may prove some religious belief, although I would guess that more often it disproves religion.

Hamsakariverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I think it depends how religion views science and vice versa. We have come a long way since Galileo. Some of the factors that existed at that time do not exist anymore. And of course part of that is people's (I won't say faith) relationship to science. That is an interesting topic. I mean how do we get all of these news stories misrepresenting science? You have to be educated AND intelligent to understand a scientic discovery. Not everyone can read journal articles. Very few can. And even things like understanding what statistical significance are missed out on without an education in natural or social sciences. I think it depends if religion is sincerely trying to understand science on its own merit. It can go wrong if religion is just borrowing 'credentials' from science.
    cvalue
    Jeffrey said:

I think it depends how religion views science and vice versa. We have come a long way since Galileo. Some of the factors that existed at that time do not exist anymore. And of course part of that is people's (I won't say faith) relationship to science. That is an interesting topic. I mean how do we get all of these news stories misrepresenting science? You have to be educated AND intelligent to understand a scientic discovery. Not everyone can read journal articles. Very few can. And even things like understanding what statistical significance are missed out on without an education in natural or social sciences. I think it depends if religion is sincerely trying to understand science on its own merit. It can go wrong if religion is just borrowing 'credentials' from science.

Have we come a long way? Yes.

We've come so far that scientific concepts -- such as evolution -- are never mixed into religion. And in turn, neither scientific nor religious beliefs are never mixed into government. Right, Jeffrey????

riverflow
    edited December 2013
    Thanks @Vinlyn.

I am a lot more clear now. What was unclear before, I think, is how I was conceptualizing 'religion' (as used in your post) and how it seems you were, at that moment.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say what David Bohm said in this interview is stunningly similar to what Siddhartha Gotama said to his monks all those years ago. Buddha proposed a nature of reality, perceived without complex scientific mathematics and hardware; today, with all the high math and particle accelerators, the major egghead geniuses are striking similar conclusions to the Buddha.

"Religion" has a formal Webster's dictionary definition, but colloquially 'religion' has such varied meanings that it's a wonder we understand each other at all. The Buddhism becoming the center of my life is NOT a religion in any sense of the word, colloquial or formal. Buddhism IS a religion, or a variety of them, across the world. I would fight hard against Buddhism, as a religion, to be mixed with politics or science or any public institution.

vinlyn
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

It isn't the logic of linking any particular science concept with Buddhism/religion that bothers me.

It's the potential of abuse by a religion that is the danger.

For example, go back to the Galileo affair [...]

In my view, to paraphrase, "Render unto science the things that are science, and unto religion the things that are religious". Of course, there's always the possibility that science may prove some religious belief, although I would guess that more often it disproves religion.

This kind of linking of science with religion is one of the biggest mistakes of religion, reducing it to mere superstition. To think that Origen, Augustine and many of the Church Fathers did NOT believe the world was literally created in six days! Ironically it was some Christians' LACK of faith that led them to cling to the literal text.

From The Literal Meaning of Genesis by Augustine (354-430):
    Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of the world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason?
    And here is Origen (185-254) in De Principiis:
    What intelligent person can imagine that there was a first “day,” then a second and a third “day”—evening and morning—without the sun, the moon, and the stars? And that the first “day”—if it makes sense to call it such—existed even without a sky?

Who is foolish enough to believe that, like a human gardener, God planted a garden in Eden in the East and placed in it a tree of life, visible and physical, so that by biting into its fruit one would obtain life? And that by eating from another tree, one would come to know good and evil? And when it is said that God walked in the garden in the evening and that Adam hid himself behind a tree, I cannot imagine that anyone will doubt that these details point symbolically to spiritual meanings, by using an historical narrative which did not literally happen.
    These Christians from the the first four centuries of Christianity would be shaking their heads at those Christians today railing against evolution (the Catholic church still has no problem with evolution).

In the case of Galileo, it was primarily the Lutherans who caused the Catholic church to try to save face politically-- it was many Reformers who pointed fingers at the Catholic church (who supported and sponsored Copernicus' efforts), saying "See how devilish these Catholics are-- they don't even believe the earth is literally the center of the universe!" (I'm not defending the Catholic church, here BTW, just putting it in the context of what was actually happening regarding Galileo's imprisonment).

Science and religion both suffer in the process. Dietrich Bonhoeffer warned of this kind of reductionist thinking in his Letters and Papers from Prison:
    How wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the incompleteness of our knowledge. If in fact the frontiers of knowledge are being pushed further and further back (and that is bound to be the case), then God is being pushed back with them, and is therefore continually in retreat. We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don’t know.
    So rather than having faith in God, people are left with mere ideological belief and superstition.

More in relation to Buddhism, what good does it do me to "know" that quantum physics jives with sunyata (assuming that it were an "empirical fact")? The point of Buddhist practice is to to REALize it within oneself, not to prove it. That would be a terrible mistake to make and would be fatal to Buddhist practice, just as many Christians made the mistake of looking to science as an "objective" confirmation of their faith. Why do you think all those Zen masters kept whacking their students?
    robotHamsaka
  • Psychology is one area that we can benefit from Buddhist meditation and views. But of course we have to use the scientific method.
    I don't disagree with that, Jeffrey. The mistake comes for many with significant psychological issues in replacing a correct diagnosis and treatment with only Buddhist meditation.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I agree there, vinlyn. Of course I also find it ground shaking to have the Buddhist view that all beings are sick with greed, anger, and delusion. It is even said that the world is on fire with those three things in a sermon Buddha gave to fire worshipers. In the west we have disease states, like bipolar disorder and we research what things help people who have that diagnosis. I think it's awesome to take a two tired approach and help with symptoms but also help with the poisons which are in common to all humanity.
    @Riverflow said:
    More in relation to Buddhism, what good does it do me to "know" that quantum physics jives with sunyata (assuming that it were an "empirical fact")? The point of Buddhist practice is to to REALize it within oneself, not to prove it. That would be a terrible mistake to make and would be fatal to Buddhist practice, just as many Christians made the mistake of looking to science as an "objective" confirmation of their faith. Why do you think all those Zen masters kept whacking their students?
    Doubting Thomas that I am, it does my heart a lot of good to hear that the leading edge of science jives with sunyata. I don't need science to 'confirm' much for the sake of this individual experience I am having; but it gives me tremendous hope for our species, and a massive injection of validation. I've been seeking and NOT finding nor having doors opening for long enough that I'm effing tired of looking deeply and finding a pile of mumbo jumbo. My education and native intelligence gives me just enough that I can follow a bit of the leading edge of science, understand it somewhat, enough to see the concurrences with what I've individually experienced; that is 'what good' it does, for what it's worth. You are absolutely correct, it's no substitute for REALizing :) but it's not meant to be one.

I appreciate so much the efforts of Augustine and Origen and Meister Eckhart and Thomas Merton among others, who I leaned heavily upon while struggling to REALize the Cosmos as a Christian. It just wasn't my path, apparently, but we owe them too much to put down here. My little problem with 'worshipping' a man dead now for 2000 years and his Father, a reformed sun god called Jehovah, was more than I could manage, even unpacked by the Christian Mystics.

The following paragraph is a rant and a tangent. Sorry in advance. It is the REST of the followers of Christianity, or it's fellow sun god religions, that have created a mockery of religion, one that readily absorbs politics and power, that have produced atrocities from the combo. "American" political Christianity, in particular, is an outright blasphemy. The rest of the world's Christians look at how the conservative politicians have USED Christianity to gather up voters and polluted a peaceful, inclusive Jesus into a gun-toting, Food Stamp-denying, Homo-Hating, Tea Party-drinking mockery of his Teachings.

Riverflow, I don't 'see' that anything fatal could happen to Buddhist practice by acknowledging the relatively recent advent of 'science' also jives or even 'proves empirically' the Buddha's cosmology. Not to us Buddhadharma students :)

As for Zen masters whacking their students . . . I don't understand that in any other way than interpersonal violence, which I can see no good reason for, no matter how dense the student :shrug:

Jeffrey said:

Psychology is one area that we can benefit from Buddhist meditation and views. But of course we have to use the scientific method.

This is actually happening as we speak. Quite apart from the Buddha predicting the 'outer' cosmology he described the 'inner' one so well that many are making modern expositions on the Buddha's psychology.

The scientific method means the result can be measured, and the experiment reproduced and the same results will be gotten each time. So far, there have been applications of scientific method to measure results in those using 'mindfulness meditation', which show significant results. The problem is the scientific method tends to knock over and smash the delicate little psychological things it's trying to test. A work in progress, I hope.

• A few key passages from Thich Nhat Hanh I feel has relevance here:
    The notions of impermanence, not-self, interbeing, and emptiness are means aimed at revealing the errors of knowledge rather than giving a description of the objects of knowledge rather than at giving a description of the objects of knowledge. These notions must be considered as methods and not as information...

...Why are ideas the source of errors that must be corrected? Because the idea is not the reality...

...reality is only reality when it is not grasped conceptually. What we construct through our concepts is not reality... The practitioner of the Way must enter into direct contact with reality without allowing concepts to separate him from this reality. Reality cannot be conceived, not can it be described in words. reality is reality, it is thus. This is the significance of the word thusness (tathata)...

...Many go too far in seeing emptiness or tathata as the ontological basis of everything. The idea of an ontological entity, as we already know, is the notion of an absolute self in disguise, which is the enemy of Prajnaparamita. All that can be said is that emptiness or tathata is non-conceptual reality. All concepts about tathata are the enemies of tathata.
    Thich Nhat Hanh, Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice (pgs. 110-113) [italics in the original text]

Expounding on this in my own way in my own scribblings earlier this year:

Buddhist doctrines are not meant to provide objective information about the world “out there.” Even when these doctrines happen to coincide with scientific discoveries, it must be remembered that the methodology and aims of science are very different from those of Buddhism. The truth that the scientific method discovers is conceptual. Within the context of science, this is certainly laudable. Such discoveries may even help one’s understanding of Buddhism. But science cannot prove Buddhism to be “true”—this is to misunderstand the purpose of Buddhism, its practices, and its doctrines.

The “truth” of Buddhism is insight—and this insight is not a concept: it cannot be replicated; it cannot be grasped. It is neither “objective” nor “subjective.” It can only be real-ized intimately through the lifelong process of self-inquiry and daily mindfulness. Buddhist doctrines function as upaya, skillful means. They are like lenses designed to bring clarity to self-inquiry. They are insightful methods to examine our perceptions and thoughts. Approaching Buddhist doctrines as information about the world is to not real-ize their fullest potential—in fact, as information, these doctrines are reduced to just another view about reality. This can potentially lead to dogmatism, which is counterproductive in learning non-attachment (including non-attachment to views).

Rather than providing information, Buddhist doctrines are a means to develop insight into the interbeing of one’s own “self.” Emptiness, dependent co-origination, impermanence, no-self, etc. may appear to be objective propositions about the world. If we approach Buddhism as only information rather than as methods for awakening, it becomes all too easy to misunderstand Buddhism as merely nihilistic. Buddhism can only appear to be nihilistic when we cling to the notion that emptiness and impermanence are negative qualities about “existence”—and that life ought to be otherwise.

But the purpose of Buddhism is to help cultivate self-inquiry and compassion. Emptiness and impermanence are the very basis for compassion in Buddhism. It is because of impermanence that there arises the opportunity for nourishing positive seeds within ourselves and in others. It is because of emptiness that we can real-ize that compassion for ourselves and for others are seamlessly interwoven together. Gaining insight through emptiness and impermanence helps to deepen one’s compassion.

The Buddhadharma is a path upon which one walks—it is not a body of “correct information” that one should simply agree with. Rather, Buddhist doctrines provide a means of skillfully guiding oneself one step at a time down the path of awakening understanding and compassion.
    Extremely well written, Riverflow.
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    All that can be said is that emptiness or tathata is non-conceptual reality. All concepts about tathata are the enemies of tathata.
    Yes, The universe is fluxional, has a heart or 'feeling', is finely structured and not an amorphous blob, and appears and dissapears... fades out and then a radiant flash of awareness. Always diffusing out and then coming clear.