Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

hello everyone I'm new to this.... have a great day

Any advice for a beginners journey much appreciated

Comments

• EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Welcome to NB :)

Im a beginner myself so I'll just link two sites.

(Theravada)
    Articles, including basics of Buddhism and additional resources for study
    Access to Insight:A good general site for reference & learning.

All the best __/\__
  • Welcome, Jae! :)
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Welcome Jae :wave:
  • jae said:

Any advice for a beginners journey much appreciated

:)
    Be kind. Read stuff. Ask questions. Try and listen (that is after all only polite). Be kind . . . even when the dithering repeat themself and above all be kind.

:wave:
    Vastmind
  • jaejae Veteran
    nice to meet you Eventhird and Poptart... hello again Anataman, thanks for the links and saying hello
    EvenThird
  • jaejae Veteran
    Eventhird... I have just read this from your link and I really enjoyed it...

awake n missouri
    TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2012
    Sacred
    Many of us involved in this practice use words like "sacred" and "spiritual" as a way to point to what we hope to find, how we hope to live and what we find helpful or supportive of our effort to live in a way that contributes to inner and outer harmony, compassion and peacefulness. So I was surprised by the strength of my reaction this month when I came across this in a book review in Tricycle magazine:
    "The central message of Jack Kornfield's Bringing
    Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You
    Are is that every part of your life is sacred."
    What rose up in me was that this was not true.

As I reflected on this reaction what came to mind was a conversation I had with Ginny Morgan in 1993. We were driving down a hot Kansas highway after attending a retreat in the Colorado mountains with Joseph Goldstein and Sharon Salzberg. Ginny had been talking about "spiritual" off and on throughout the trip. Finally I admitted, with a bit of shame, that although I was quite committed to meditation after about six years of practice, I had no idea what the word "spiritual" meant, what it referred to.

After about another twenty years of practice, and after having used the world "spiritual" many, many times myself —and knowing I will use it many times more— I still have to admit that I really don't have any idea what it means. But there's no longer shame in admitting that. Instead, there's a sense of relief. This is part of what the practice has done for me. Helped me to see that there is not a reality –sacred or spiritual– where we can live our lives in some way separate or distinct and preferable to this one.

There can be a shift in perception or glimpses of something undefinable. If this happens, our perspective on life can change radically.

But this life is the one we have. It may not be the most convenient or the most preferable life. It may not be the one we thought the practice was going to bring to us. But it is our life. It is the one we have.

Our practice isn't to become some kind of superior spiritual being or to attain some special, preferable kind of reality. Our practice is to more fully become a human being living this life, the only life we have, as fully and completely as we can. Our practice is to find a way to be present in, intimate with, the life we have. When we live in this way the mental chatter that keeps us separate simply blows on through and the heart is open and responsive.

But these are just words, creating another idealized reality. The only way to be intimate with our lives, to realize this is to do the work ourselves, to see when we're distracted from this, whether by greed, by aversion, by thoughts that there is some perfection to attain, or maybe even by thoughts that we've arrived, that we've finally got it.

There's no sacred, no profane. There's nothing to attain. And of course, everything.
    POSTED BY PHILIP L. JONES AT 11:32 AM 2 COMMENTS:

EvenThirdJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    hi Lobster thanks for saying hi, nice to meet you .. lovely words
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    Glad you got something useful out of it :)
  • jaejae Veteran
    it was the simple statement at the bottom of the picture I liked the most... Thank you
    nb.jpg 39.4K
    EvenThirdJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hello Jayantha, nice to meet you... I will try that site and yes as its all new I agree it can be confusing.. I spend my time between tabs as need to know so many new words and phrases... however it keeps me out of trouble so all good ... keep in touch and thanks for introducing yourself
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Hello :)
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hello Vastmind thanks for saying hi I'm so glad I found this site, lots of helpful advice and friendliness
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Welcome @Jae -- hope you find something useful here. Based on the above, I guess I would only suggest that you do what you can to stay away from $10 words like "sacred" or "spiritual." They may sound wonderful and beckon like a $3 hooker, but the fact of the matter is that any (wo)man can only live one life, a life that cannot be sliced up like a pecan pie. Buddhism -- to press the pie analogy -- teaches that all of life is delicious and that trying to elevate one slice and disparage another makes little, if any, sense: It simply doesn't work.

Upshot: Go forward with patience, courage and doubt. Pay attention and take responsibility. Find a practice and practice it. Use what you find useful. And remember that just because there are nuts in the pie doesn't mean the pie is nuts. :)

Wisdom is not what you know, it is who you are.
    VastmindlobsterEvenThirdxtine
    All the above is good advice.

However you choose to take your learning and meditation forward @Jae, remember 3 things - always try and have a sense of humour and compassion for yourself; remember to return to the source of the 4 noble truths frequently as they are the teachings from which buddhist dharma flows; and be mindful in whatever mediation you find helps you return home to your present awareness. Enjoy!

VastmindJeffreylobstermisterCope
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hello Genkaku nice to meet you....excuse my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by' sliced up like a pecan pie' please?
    @genkaku did you mean to say 'knowledge is what you know, wisdom is what you are'? Or am I being pedantic.
  • jaejae Veteran
    Jayantha I've just watched the video I hope I can learn to still my mind ...thank you
    BhikkhuJayasara
    edited December 2013
    excuse my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by' sliced up like a pecan pie' please?
    @Jae -- Sorry, didn't mean to be obscure. All I meant was that anyone's life is not divided, no matter how hard anyone might try to slice it up into "good" and "bad," "soaring" and "sad," "holy" and "unholy." Tasty bits and bitter pills are all part and parcel of this very individual life, this one and only pecan pie. And Buddhism is a whole-life endeavor.

@anataman -- "Who" or "what" ... get 'er done! :)
    lobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    Understood.... a life long practise and what a lovely thing to learn
    lobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hello Dobs ...I like it a lot (its very new to me though and I've so far only used guided meditation). Good to meet you
  • Our practice isn't to become some kind of superior spiritual being or to attain some special, preferable kind of reality. Our practice is to more fully become a human being living this life, the only life we have, as fully and completely as we can. Our practice is to find a way to be present in, intimate with, the life we have. When we live in this way the mental chatter that keeps us separate simply blows on through and the heart is open and responsive.
    Thank you @jae and @EvenThird
    lobsterEvenThirdzenff
  • jae said:

(its very new to me though and I've so far only used guided meditation)

Excellent.
    Some of need to be reminded of the benefits of guided meditations. Also as a reminder do not listen to dharma talks whilst mindlessly driving a potential Buddha (even yourself) to distraction. Find the time to be single minded rather than monkey minded like me.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm

:thumbsup:
  • Night meditation was very good for me. It's done by placing a white A in your heart and contemplating compassion (universal). When attention wanders you put it back-like vipassana. When you wake up you put it back.... There are good books on this I'm sure you can find one on the net. Compassionate A night meditation. Get a book first before you get hooked up with a group. Thinking of a Sangha sort of like a wife is probably wise. Don't rush in. Read, practice, discover. May the good be yours
  • jaejae Veteran
    Thanks for the comment lobster...hello Dennis 1 once I've looked up vipassana I'll give it a go thanks for the advice
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Welcome Jae, I am new too, at least new to daily meditation, study and committing myself firmly to the Buddhadharma. I discovered Buddhism (among other Eastern traditions) back in my twenties, and they've impacted me deeply, assumed quite a central role in how I perceive what we're all doing here. Even so, the process of being a Buddhist (whatever that means) is the best thing I ever did besides give birth to my kids and keep them alive 'til they could manage it themselves.

I 'came back' to Buddhism via a secular route, and have just followed the fractal paths that rise up before me in terms of what I do in my practice, it's been very intuitive. I don't worry about what's right or wrong, but on what resonates with plain old every day life. Give yourself permission to explore with an open mind, and trust what intrigues you as a sign to look further.

The Buddha said over and over again that we already have what is necessary to Wake Up within us and around us, right now. Meditation, sincere intention, a Teacher or ten, and a pack of Dharma buddies (the sangha) . . . you are on your way :)

Gassho :)

• jaejae Veteran
    Hello Hamsaka thanks for the post and the advice
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    Hello, Jae!

My advice is:

1. Meditate

2. Ask questions

I hope you have a wonderful day!
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • Welcome
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Mrcope ...hello and thank you I've just had a windy walk on the beach with the lovely Rosy...just taken these pics....
    lobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    @sndymorn hi nice to meet you
    a life long practise and what a lovely thing to learn
    @Jae -- I once went for a private interview (dokusan, sanzen) with a Zen teacher. For some reason, on the particular day, I was in a ferociously bad mood... I mean, I was PISSED.

Entering the room, I did the requisite bows and settled myself before the teacher.

"How are you?" he asked mildly.
    "Shitty!" I replied instantly.
    "Every day is a good day," he said in imitation of a great Zen teacher who had once used the same words.
    And that pissed me off even worse. I wasn't about to sit still for some copycat bullshit.
    "Every day is a good day," I snapped, "and some days are SHITTY days!"
    And he started to laugh. I mean really laugh. It wasn't some sissy laugh of a CEO who needs to remain in control: He was laughing as if I had told him the best dirty joke in the world.
    He laughed and laughed and I sat there flabbergasted. When he finally got control of himself, he looked me straight in the eye and said,
    "You're right! Every day is a good day. Some days are shitty days AND ... every day is a good day!"

And he had me by the short hairs. There was nothing I could do but ... laugh.

... Sometimes a life-long practice is a lovely thing to learn and sometimes it really, really isn't lovely at all. Honesty counts in Buddhism.

Vastmindjaeanatamanlobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Genkaku...understood.... I am hungry to learn and frustrated by knowing so little but the little I have learnt is lovely...I guess the more perseverance I have the less frustrating it will be?
    lobster
    @Jae -- Yes, determination counts. But what any of us are determined about remains a strange mystery. Find a practice and practice it. See (don't expect) what happens.
  • jaejae Veteran
    A strange mystery as in why we are here?