Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was Chogyam Trungpa a Bodhisattva?

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
edited December 2013 in Philosophy
With all the talk about so-and-so being a Bodhisattva, I got to thinking, but not before I paid a rare visit to DharmaWheel this morning.

I was reading a long thread about Chogyam Trungpa and decided it was high time I watched the film "Crazy Wisdom: The Life & Times of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche" again. For those of you who haven't seen or heard, it's a 2011 documentary about, and you guessed it, Chogyam Trungpa, focusing on his life and work in the US.

It's an interesting film.

I've had a long-time fascination with the Vidyadhara. I've spent years trying to reconcile the obvious genius seen in his teaching and the equally obvious humanity, warts and all, seen in his life.

I've always watched - sometimes bemused, sometimes alarmed, and sometimes touched by the broad range of reactions to even the mention of his name out here in forums such as this. I marvel at the continuing devotion in the lives he touched. I find some opinions of him amusing in how far they'll go in an attempt to denegrate his legacy. I become alarmed how prudish we become with regards to his ..... procivities.

I'm also reminded about how he taught all of this to be nothing but spiritual materialism and a profound obstacle to realization - how we foist our preconceptions about how a dharma teacher should be and shut out any who don't conform to those preconceptions. And we don't stop there - we go on an insist, either implicitly or explicitly, that the rest of us should conform as well. It goes beyond spiritual materialism - it goes on to the darkest angels of our nature.

For me, it gives me something to think about and something to bring to the cushion.

My own journey to reconciliation with the Vidyadhara is aided, for better or worse, by the many people I associate with - friends - Dharma brothers and sisters - who knew the man personally, who were taught by him and practiced under his guidance. These are people whose devotion is as sharp, clear and freah as it was on the day the Vidyadhara died. These are people with deep, strong practice. People who I am taught by, both formally and informally.

And I ask myself, how can a man who "violated" so many precepts, who was so controversial, outrageous and unconventional be as realized as everyone who knew him personally says.

Like Ani Pema Chodron says in the film, "I don't know".

And I doubt that I ever will.

Trungpa is an enigma.

Bodhisattvas are said to be governed by standards beyond our ability to understand. They can be a Kurt Cobain, or a Charles Dickens.

They can be a Chogyam Trungpa.

Trungpa was a lot of things, and perhaps a Bodhisattva, manifesting for the benefit of beings.

I like to think that he was.
Jeffrey

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Everyone who knew him personally doesn't say he was realized. Many people were hurt and damaged by him. John Steinbeck IV and his wife, who were followers of his up to a point, say that many of the followers came from abusive, alcoholic family backgrounds (as did Steinbeck), and so they were subconsciously re-creating their family of origin issues within the sangha environment, a terribly unhealthy situation. The Steinbecks eventually realized this, and got out, and sought healing.

Trungpa himself, in his autobiography, says that monks and tulkus, when removed from the highly structured monastic environment, tend to lost their orientation completely, and succumb to all manner of indulgence. That's a very telling observation. Anyone as callous to the suffering he inflicted on some of his followers couldn't possibly be a bodhisattva.

(See: The Other Side of Eden: Life With John Steinbeck, by John Steinbeck IV & Nancy Steinbeck)
    MaryAnneriverflowThailandTom
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Sure I know about Stienbeck (I'm a huge fan of his father) and his wife, and I also know that there are those who discredit his account and motivations.

Who do you believe, whoever's account tend to reinforce your own preconceptions? I know dozens, maybe more than 100 (I've never sat down and counted) who are still utterly devoted to the man? Who have remarkable practice and are themselves marvelous teachers? What do you do about that, discount their devotion and what they gained from knowing Trungpa because of one disgruntled former student?

Have you ever been in direct contact with any of his former students?

How much of his stuff have you read.

How much of my post did you read? Or, are you simply reacting to the title?

Those in the pros category tend to outnumber the cons in my experience. But of course that doesn't mean anything, either.

Noone ever talks about W.S. Merwin. Ever wonder why?

And that's the thing. He was FAR from perfect. He could be incosiderate, and even cruel. No one, NO ONE denies that. Yet, his teachings stand the test of time of masterworks in the Dharma as it was presented to the west in those days.

My post is supposed to be about how to reconcile the obvious shortcomings of the man, to what appeared to be pure genius.

They say that sometimes there's a fine line between genius and insanity.
  • It's not obvious why this is a useful question. If he was a Bodhisattva, what's going to change about your life? If he wasn't, what's going to change?
    BhikkhuJayasaraJeffreyriverflow
    Apparently it was important enough for two other people to offer similar threads.

What I find useful in my life as regards the Vidyadhara is the constant challenge his life offers to my ongoing path.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    fivebells said:

It's not obvious why this is a useful question. If he was a Bodhisattva, what's going to change about your life? If he wasn't, what's going to change?

This..

In all honesty this same debate happens in Theravada but its, was Ajahn Chah Enlightened, was Ajahn Maha Bua, is Ajahn Brahm..no way to know, best not to care and work on your own path.
  • Trungpa is dead. I focus on 'where to go from here'. From that standpoint I rejoice that Trungpa appeard on the earth because I am currently learning in books he wrote. So I focus on the good rather than the bad.

And that's the thing. He was FAR from perfect. He could be incosiderate, and even cruel. No one, NO ONE denies that. Yet, his teachings stand the test of time of masterworks in the Dharma as it was presented to the west in those days.
    Yes. Well said.
    Chaz
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    fivebells said:

It's not obvious why this is a useful question. If he was a Bodhisattva, what's going to change about your life? If he wasn't, what's going to change?

But, on the other hand, why is it detrimental to seek knowledge?

And in this case, it might clarify whether someone should consider him a worthy teacher.

Chaz
    vinlyn said:

It's not. On the other hand, the Vidyadhara's teachings tends to focus on practice as opposed to "knowledge".
    And in this case, it might clarify whether someone should consider him a worthy teacher.
    Quite right.

One thing about CTR, is that while his teachings remain very important, his life and style often flies in the face of teachings of the precepts and about what constitutes a "worthy" teacher - as in Paltrul Rinpoche's "Words of My Perfect Teacher". It can be very easy to dismiss CTR, but is that wisdom or merely a convenient cop-out on thinking for oneself?

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

fivebells said:

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

It's not. On the other hand, the Vidyadhara's teachings tends to focus on practice as opposed to "knowledge".
    Quite right.

One thing about CTR, is that while his teachings remain very important, his life and style often flies in the face of teachings of the precepts and about what constitutes a "worthy" teacher - as in Paltrul Rinpoche's "Words of My Perfect Teacher". It can be very easy to dismiss CTR, but is that wisdom or merely a convenient cop-out on thinking for oneself?

is every teacher in the tradition supposed to be a Bodhisattva? I'm ignorant of such things.

if not then I think there is a clear difference in discussion between the two.
  • "Bodhisattva" is just a word. The value of conceptualizing/"languaging", or designating someone or something with any particular label will vary from person to person.

Human language is ill-equipped to convey the complexity and perplexity of the world and its beings. Chogyam Trungpa seems to have had a positive influence on many (including Pema Chodron), but harmed or exploited others. If you are one of the former, acknowledging the positive influence his teachings had on your life with the label "bodhisattva" may be useful. If you were one of the latter, perhaps not. I've read two of his books, and they were very incisive and have had a deep influence on my practice. But my experience is just my own.

Personally, I don't believe "bodhisattvas" or "buddhas" or "arahants" exist outside the realm of human languaging.
    Chaz
    Jayantha said:

is every teacher in the tradition supposed to be a Bodhisattva?

Of course not.

In the case of CTR, so much is said about his realization and paranirvana and in my own experience the obvious legacy reflected in his students that I know personally, it may be that this particular teacher was.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Here is the scoop on what a bodhisattva is with respect for the Buddhist path.
    http://www.kagyu.org/kagyulineage/buddhism/int/int04.php
    The first, the path of accumulation, has three subdivisions. The first stage consists of taking the first step in the right direction, that is, taking refuge and practicing tranquility meditation (Skt. shamatha, Tib. shinay). The aspect of wisdom that is involved is that of listening to teachings (called the wisdom of hearing), and of reflecting on them with the analytical mind (called the wisdom of contemplation).

The contemplation appropriate to this stage is known as the four applications of mindfulness, which is an examination of the true nature of (1) the body, (2) the feelings, (3) the mind, and (4) all phenomena. By logical analysis it is possible to come to the intellectual understanding that all of these are merely names for interdependent occurrences that lack any true self-existence, this prepares the way for an acceptance of the idea of emptiness (Skt. sunyata; Tib. tong-pa-nyi).

The second stage of the path of accumulation involves the abandonment of negative actions and the cultivation of virtuous actions, by which merit is accumulated. The third stage consists of the development of four qualities, without which further progress on the path will not be possible: (1) aspiration (strong determination to practice Dharma), (2) diligence (enthusiastic effort), (3) recollection (not forgetting the practice), and (4) meditative concentration (one-pointedness of mind without distractions). What was developed on the first path becomes stronger on the second, the path of unification, which is a linking of the ordinary level to the exalted. On this path the practitioner experiences greater tranquility, more joy in virtuous action and fewer negative thoughts; confidence, energy, reflection, concentration, and wisdom increase, and tolerance of obstacles

Finally the highest possible mundane realization is reached, a momentary experience that occurs during meditation, in which the nature of emptiness is perceived directly. After having this perception, the practitioner is called a noble or exalted one (Skt. arya; Tib. pag-pa), one who has immediate insight into the four noble truths. This experience is like that of blind person whose blindness is cured and who sees colors for the first time; therefore, it is called the path of seeing.

On this, the third path, subtle obscurations remain; the practitioner directly perceives emptiness when in a state of meditative concentration, but when not meditating continues to perceive as before, only with the awareness that the perception is illusory, like a person watching a magic show and seeing through the magician's tricks. This is the level of the first stage (Skt. bhumi; Tib. sa) of the bodhisattva path, and from this stage there is no possibility of falling back.
    zenff said:

This “dark angel of my nature” - as you put it – simply says that there’s a moral code for spiritual teachers. That’s not so weird.

Nope, but back in the day, what constiuted "moral" was in constant flux. The "moral code" my parents lived by, was tossed right out the window long before CTR set foot on american soil.

Everybody was screwing everybody and those that weren't wanted to.
    There’s a pretty strict moral code for my job as well. When I break it I lose my job.
    If you think what was going on in CTR's sangha was "weird", read up on what was happening at Apple Computer about that same time. Nobody demonizes Steve Jobs for the near-constant orgy that was reportedly going on at Apple.

I don’t mind the idea that Trungpa maybe was a Bodhisattva. I do object the suggestion that it is somehow very narrow minded to insist that dharma teachers keep some basic rules of behavior.
    the thing is, it is kinda narrow-minded, though.

• Please note that emptiness 3rd path is not realized until the 1-3 of the 5 stages.

1 You need to take refuge AND develop some degree of calm abiding (shamathai)

2 abandon negative actions

(1) aspiration (strong determination to practice Dharma), (2) diligence (enthusiastic effort), (3) recollection (not forgetting the practice), and (4) meditative concentration (one-pointedness of mind without distractions).
  • vinlyn said:

in this case, it might clarify whether someone should consider him a worthy teacher.

I think it's pretty clear that in this case someone's mind is already made up on that point.
    lobster
    edited December 2013
    I have no idea whether he's a worthy teacher, and since he's not Theravadan, I don't care.

I do care that you hold the idea that if something's not going to change "your life", that it's not worth contemplating.

This very much goes back to my teaching science. It was less important to me that my students learned scientific facts, than it was that they learned how to think in a scientific manner.

• Trungpa was essentially raised, groomed and educated to be a monk - a teacher of the Dharma...
    Just because he was trained thoroughly and trained well, and as a gifted "student" absorbed all that was necessary to regurgitate that Dharma knowledge, even if he CAN claim moments of keen insight, still makes him no more than a man, essentially raised, groomed and educated to be a monk.
    But he was a monk that broke all the rules, many times over, in many ways - and also truly hurt people along the way, and soured the taste of the Dharma for many others. He drank, he did drugs, he banged everything that moved, (and often encouraged those in his Sangha to do the same); he was the Guru to the Stars and the Rich.
    He fell deeply into the well of Ego, Wealth and Celebrity Power.
    Trungpa cursed and spoke ill of people who challenged him; he often flew into rages, he often disrespected women... all in all, he was a real gem of a "holy man" wasn't he?

Only those who wish to idolize him and excuse his wretched behavior (that no other Catholic priest, Christian clergyman or rabbi would EVER get away with, I might add), try to say he was a Bodhisattva.
    I may be wrong, but As far as I know, no learned, respected, higher echelon Lama, Teacher or monk claims Trungpa was a Bodhisattva. As a matter of fact, most of the time they avoid mentioning him at all. And I can understand why.
    riverflowlobsteroceancaldera207
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    The difference between Trungpa and Catholicism is that Trungp was open with what he did. He was not a hipocrit because he let be known all of his shenanigans.

@MaryAnne, do you know what a Bodhisattva is? If not well then how can you offer an opinion?

Also Trungpa is exceptional even with respect to other monks who trained at a young age. He is a genius.

I've had sex outside a commitment. What is the difference between that happening once in my life and having that happen 100s of times? Or should I feel guilty for having sex outside of a commitment? If not then why is it worse if it happens 100 times?
    MaryAnne said:

Trungpa was essentially raised, groomed and educated to be a monk - a teacher of the Dharma...
    Just because he was trained thoroughly and trained well, and as a gifted "student" absorbed all that was necessary to regurgitate that Dharma knowledge, even if he CAN claim moments of keen insight, still makes him no more than a man, essentially raised, groomed and educated to be a monk.

This touches on something I think about from time to time.

CTR was, according to the traditions of his people, literally born to be a monk. He was recognized as a tulku at 18 months. he would spend the rest of his life up to his exile, in a monastic environment.

The would he encountered outside Tibet was markedly different from the one he lived in.

As he came better known in the west, and if the stories I hear from people who were there (women as well as men) are to be believed, women (and men) were throwing themselves at him. For a young man in the prime of life, it must have been a big temptation. You would have to have been made of stone to not respond to that.

That's not to excuse anything, of course, but if you're going to condemn him for being as human as everyone else, you might consider casting the light on yourself, first.

I can't condemn they guy. I drink, I've used drugs, I've slept around, I've used people who trusted me, and I've hurt people in ways CTR never would or did. I'm not any better or worse than him, so condemn him? Not on your life.

If you're better than that, I applaud you.
  • @Chaz,

Where am I condemning the guy? The topic at hand is Do you think Trungpa was a Bodhisattva? I don't. And I gave the reasons why I don't believe so.
    I don't "condemn" him for being an ordinary man, with issues and flaws.
    I'm just saying he's not a Bodhisattva and shouldn't be revered as one.
    He was a lousy Buddhist (if one is going to judge by behavior and adherence to the precepts, etc - which is done nearly every damn day right here in this forum), and a lousy example as a monk.

riverflowlobstervinlynoceancaldera207
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Jeffrey-

To answer your question;

* The bodhisattva vow is the commitment to put others before oneself. It is a statement of willingness to give up one’s own well-being, even one’s own enlightenment, for the sake of others. And a bodhisattva is simply a person who lives in the spirit of that vow, perfecting the qualities known as the six paramitas [perfections]—generosity, discipline, patience, exertion, meditation, and transcendental knowledge—in his effort to liberate beings.

Taking the bodhisattva vow implies that instead of holding our own individual territory and defending it tooth and nail, we become open to the world that we are living in. It means we are willing to take on greater responsibility, immense responsibility.
    In fact it means taking a big chance. But taking such a chance is not false heroism or personal eccentricity. It is a chance that has been taken in the past by millions of bodhisattvas, enlightened ones, and great teachers.

In taking the bodhisattva vow, we acknowledge that the world around us is workable. From the bodhisattva’s point of view it is not a hard-core, incorrigible world. It can be worked with within the inspiration of buddhadharma, following the example of Lord Buddha and the great bodhisattvas. We can join their campaign to work with sentient beings properly, fully, and thoroughly—without grasping, without confusion, and without aggression. Such a campaign is a natural development of the practice of meditation because meditation brings a growing sense of egolessness.

By taking the bodhisattva vow, we open ourselves to many demands. If we are asked for help, we should not refuse; if we are invited to be a parent, we should not refuse. In other words, we have to have some kind of interest in taking care of people, some appreciation of the phenomenal world and its occupants. It is not an easy matter. It requires that we not be completely tired and put off by people’s heavy-handed neurosis, ego-dirt, ego-puke, or ego-diarrhea; instead we are appreciative and willing to clean up for them. It is a sense of softness whereby we allow situations to take place in spite of little inconveniences; we allow situations to bother us, to overcrowd us.

Taking a bodhisattva vow means that we are inspired to put the teachings of Buddhism into practice in our everyday lives.

By taking the bodhisattva vow, we actually present ourselves as the property of sentient beings: depending on the situation, we are willing to be a highway, a boat, a floor, or a house. We allow other sentient beings to use us in whatever way they choose. As the earth sustains the atmosphere and outer space accommodates the stars, galaxies, and all the rest, we are willing to carry the burdens of the world.

IMO- As usual, Trungpa talked a good game, said all the right words, but yet it's pretty hard to do all the above while drunk, stoned or busy bedding young teen girls or other people's wives, no? He was no bodhisattva, as evident by his own description of one....

(Bold and italics are mine- for emphasis)

* From The Collected Works of Chögyam Trungpa, Volume Three, edited by Carolyn Rose Gimian. © 2003
    riverflowlobsterJeffrey
    Jeffrey said:

The difference between Trungpa and Catholicism is that Trungp was open with what he did. He was not a hipocrit because he let be known all of his shenanigans.

Yes, and everyone who was there say the same thing. It was out in the open. No secrets. Recent scandals resulted more from secrecy that sex.
    @MaryAnne, do you know what a Bodhisattva is? If not well then how can you offer an opinion?
    She's a secularist. The Bodhisattva is predicated, in part, on reincarnation, something far outside the realm of the "secular" Buddhist.
    Also Trungpa is exceptional even with respect to other monks who trained at a young age. He is a genius.
    And contrary to previous opinion is has had considerable influence in the years following his death.

I've had sex outside a commitment. What is the difference between that happening once in my life and having that happen 100s of times? Or should I feel guilty for having sex outside of a commitment? If not then why is it worse if it happens 100 times?
    Welcome to the human race.
  • She's a secularist. The Bodhisattva is predicated, in part, on reincarnation, something far outside the realm of the "secular" Buddhist.

So now you are implying I'm Stupid? How charming...
    lobstervinlynChazzenff
  • If it walks like a duck...

But if it doesn't walk like a duck...
    lobsterzenff
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I'm not very enlightened so I expect more conventional "good behavior" from my Bodhisattvas, which I mostly see as role models. So if they don't have behavior or aspirations I'd like to copy, I'm not so excited about them. This guy, though, wrote books, which I intend to read and presume I will learn something of use. Even an alcoholic can have some useful advice, and maybe his advice is useful precisely because he was an alcoholic (dunno, haven't read his books yet). But not a role model.

re: Secular Buddhism and Boddhisatvas.
    Can only speak for myself, they are useful as role models. Harry Potter could be a role model without believing in magic or Harry Potter.
    riverflowMaryAnnelobster
  • I think reading his books and comparing it to his life can provide a context. I have read some of his books, but I don't really know what happened in his life. One time he was asked about his drinking and he said that it helped to tune in on the compassion for other alcoholics.

I was not an alcoholic (probably) but I was drinking too much for awhile after I broke up with a girl I was head over heals for. The example Trungpa made of wisdom mind cut through a lot of the rubbish (shit) I was dealing with. Because CTR was also an alcoholic it was an inspiration that I was still worth something and that helped to get OFF the drinking. I used a method of compassion, with letting go (of meditation) to get off of drinking. I also used 'sitting with difficult states', and that is also meditation.

So I might not be here if not for Trungpa.
    Chaz
    MaryAnne said:

So now you are implying I'm Stupid? How charming...

Of course.

Exactly.

Hardly.

That's about as much response as it deserves.

• MaryAnne said:

She's a secularist. The Bodhisattva is predicated, in part, on reincarnation, something far outside the realm of the "secular" Buddhist.
    I'm goint to skip the rest of this conversation. However, A Bodhisattva is a creature of the Mahayana. A Bodhi has a sense of Bodhichitta. Enlightenment for the sake of others. There are some vows. Vows should be kept-period.

It isn't my view that being a Bodhi is predicated on reincarnation. In fact, I think the Mahayana is pretty light on Reincarnation. Even when I read Shantidiva's 9th chapter
    he seems pretty unre....It's easy to get into the eternal being living forever through lots of lives but that is surely not what the Buddha Taught in the Prajnaparamita.

I see more reason to go along with the reincarnation idea for a Theravedan but even then the concept of emptiness goes against the idea. So, I also want to say, Being a Bodhi has more to do with having Bodhichitta and seriously taking the vows. If a man falls (or woman) they should stand up. It's not someone else's place to judge them.
    Certainly judgment from a distance is a regrettable habit. I only read one of Trungpa's books and it was fine. mtgby

edited December 2013
    @Dennis1

Just to clarify.... "MaryAnne" didn't say: "She's a secularist. The Bodhisattva is predicated, in part, on reincarnation, something far outside the realm of the "secular" Buddhist. "
    That was the ever smug Chaz saying that about me; a secular Buddhist.

As for the rest of your post, not much I can disagree with, except the last part about "judging" others. A question was asked regarding a specific person being a Bodhisattva. The question was answered with opinions. Personally, I don't care who chooses to idolize Trungpa or not. Every man is entitled to their hero-worship... no matter how silly.

vinlyn
  • MaryAnne said:

@Dennis1

Just to clarify.... "MaryAnne" didn't say: "She's a secularist. The Bodhisattva is predicated, in part, on reincarnation, something far outside the realm of the "secular" Buddhist. "
    That was the ever smug Chaz saying that about me; a secular Buddhist.

As for the rest of your post, not much I can disagree with, except the last part about "judging" others. A question was asked regarding a specific person being a Bodhisattva. The question was answered with opinions. Personally, I don't care who chooses to idolize Trungpa or not. Every man is entitled to their hero-worship... no matter how silly.

You have your celebrities to idolize, chaz (and others) has his. Get over it!
  • If a doctor discovers the cure for cancer, and you find out he has murdered someone, do you disregard any truth's he has discovered?
    edited December 2013
    ^ No, but you don't give him a medal and idolize him, either. He gives us the cure for cancer and he goes to Prison for murder. One doesn't cancel out the other...

Trungpa is not the Buddha, he didn't "discover" the truth... he merely retells it. He said what has been said thousands of times before he said them. We each are given access to that "Truth", it's up to us to realize it for ourselves.
    riverflowvinlyn
  • MaryAnne said:

^ No, but you don't give him a medal and idolize him, either. He gives us the cure for cancer and he goes to Prison for murder. One doesn't cancel out the other...

Trungpa is not the Buddha, he didn't "discover" the truth... he merely retells it. He said what has been said thousands of times before he said them. We each are given access to that "Truth", it's up to us to realize it for ourselves.

In spite of his short-comings, he taught many, and some of those have gone on to enrichen others lives as well. Pema Chodron learned a lot from him. She satisfies herself with taking the useful, pertinent teachings he offered, and let the rest of it go. Regarding the man with contempt benefits no one.
    JeffreyHamsaka
    edited December 2013
    I'll say it again, I don't regard the MAN with contempt.
    I merely see the reality of who he was- a man with flaws and delusions.
    No better, no worse than any other lay person. However, I do believe he was not up to par with anyone who deserved to be called a "monk". And I think he knew it, too, which is why he took off the robes. He knew.

All that said- I just find the notion that he was some sort of a sacred "holy man" with powers of a Bodhisattva a little astounding...
    riverflowlobster
  • There are just too many instances where a person who has made bad choices, has actually contributed greatly to society. Trungpa's contribution has not yet played out, and we don't really know how it all turns out in the end. Would the world be a better place if he was never born? Or if he never became Buddhist? We don't really know. All we can do is take the best of what he had to offer, and not live in the suffering of resentment.
    Chaz
    MaryAnne said:

^ No, but you don't give him a medal and idolize him, either.

Uhhhhhh ...... yes, you do.
    He gives us the cure for cancer and he goes to Prison for murder. One doesn't cancel out the other...
    People get away with murder all the time for far less noble reasons than finding a cure for cancer.

If I was on the jury, I'd sure give him a pass.
    Then it's obvious that you've never read or heard a single one of his teachings, and if you have it's equally obvious that you did't get it.

No, I'm not calling you stupid.

If a doctor discovers the cure for cancer, and you find out he has murdered someone, do you disregard any truth's he has discovered?

Not the same at all.

A Buddhist teacher is supposed to be a reference on how to learn how to live a certain type of life, and he is teaching things including the Precepts and how to end suffering.

A doctor is treating physical illnesses. Totally different realm.

There are just too many instances where a person who has made bad choices, has actually contributed greatly to society. Trungpa's contribution has not yet played out, and we don't really know how it all turns out in the end. Would the world be a better place if he was never born? Or if he never became Buddhist? We don't really know. All we can do is take the best of what he had to offer, and not live in the suffering of resentment.

When I was at University, and could take courses from multiple professors, I always attempted to enroll in the class with the best professor for that topic. I would think a lay Buddhist would do the same.

MaryAnne
    vinlyn said:

When I was at University, and could take courses from multiple professors, I always attempted to enroll in the class with the best professor for that topic. I would think a lay Buddhist would do the same.

Right.

I had some great professors in college. The best of them were sleeping with their students and drinking heavily.

It had no bearing whatsoever on how well they understood the subject or how good they were at teaching it.

vinlyn said:

A Buddhist teacher is supposed to be a reference on how to learn how to live a certain type of life, and he is teaching things including the Precepts and how to end suffering.

Hmmm...

I think a Buddhist teacher isn't supposed to help you live a certain type of life. A teacher is supposed to lead you to awakening.

Maybe those more a more secular outlook are more interested in Buddhism as if it were some self-improvement strategy.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I was always under the impression that a bodhisattva was an enlightened being. Let's not get into a kerfuffle about what "enlightened being" might actually mean.

How can anyone know if someone else is enlightened? In 40 years, I have only found one answer that fills my bill: In order to recognize an enlightened being, the one doing the recognizing would (ipso facto) have to be enlightened him/herself. The chances of an unenlightened being recognizing an enlightened being are precisely nil.

I realize that recognizing an unenlightened being carries with it similar strictures, but we can leave that for another day. :)
    lobsterHamsaka
    Eliminating or reducing suffering is not an improvement?
    vinlyn said:

Eliminating or reducing suffering is not an improvement?

Yes, that's an improvement.

But not as a result of living "a certain type of life". You have to wake up. That's what a teacher's for.

It certainly is living a type of life as set out in the Precepts and other basic principles of Buddhism.
  • There definitely are teachers who have lead an exemplary life, but they tend to be few and far between. If we can only be taught by "perfect" Buddhists or citizens or plumbers for that matter, this will be an extremely ignorant planet.
    lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I was a student of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche from 1964- until his death....
    Thats it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    A bodhisattva realizes that everyone has a path to enlightenment right in their lives. That is an earthshaking realization. Remember as I said you have to complete the first 3 of the steps of the path to even become a Bodhisattva.

Please note that emptiness at the end of 3rd path is not realized until the 1-3 of the 5 stages.

1 You need to take refuge AND develop some degree of calm abiding (shamathai)

2 abandon negative actions

(1) aspiration (strong determination to practice Dharma), (2) diligence (enthusiastic effort), (3) recollection (not forgetting the practice), and (4) meditative concentration (one-pointedness of mind without distractions).
    So you could say Trungpa didn't meet 2. Unless there is something I am missing.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2013
    And there's the rub..
    I don't think what CTR represented had anything to do with stages, or processes, or gradual attainment of anything. I don't think he was a Bodhisattva because I think that whole concept is a later accretion, as is the 'arhat' concept.
    I am pretty sure that he thought that too.
    He was a Essence Mahamudra adept. Everthing else was window dressing.
    He was also an awful person..one has no bearing on the other.
    Chazlobster
This discussion has been closed.