Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Overcoming laxity

Hi all. I have come full circle since signing up on this forum as a teenager. I'd like to apologise to anyone I offended and say I truly appreciate the concern that was shown on this forum.

To the topic at hand. I'm afraid I'm experiencing laxity in my meditations. I don't get drowsy or sleepy but I go into a trancey stupor rather than experiencing more clarity in my state of mind. I am still able to focus acutely on my breathing at times so I believe this is more of a subtle laxity.

Could someone please clarify? The question is how do I overcome it. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• How do you focus on the breath? How do you conceive of it?
  • I just watch the breath at my nostrils going in and out....
  • Hi retrospecgt,

Here (below) is a doctored (changed) version of my Lama to me when I had the same question. It is not my original thought, but is a version of Lama Shenpen Hookham's e-mail to me with cutting out material that doesn't apply to you because you don't have the course materials I have. Here it is:
    It sounds like you need to really work more deeply on what you want out of meditation. Life can end at any time. Are we ready for that transition? We are so attached to our present sense of who we are and what the world is. When that crashes we don’t just disappear. We are still there. When I think of that I want to realise the truth that goes beyond birth and death just as soon as I can. How can I help others if I cannot help myself? If there is a way of waking up that means I can pass from life to death to life with equanimity, seeing all experience as simply the play of the Mind, being able to actually reach out to help all beings in a really meaningful way, how can I just sit there day-dreaming? To know the truth we first have to be desperate to find it out and then to ponder again and again what is the true nature of our experience. You could of course just put more effort into letting go of thinking and not getting so caught up in it………that is shamata. If you get really interested in your experience moment by moment, then naturally you will have let go of day dreaming and be focused – the interest is the focus………it naturally strengthens shamata. As insight arises your shamata is able to deepen easily. But as you say, the motivation has to be there. The motivation is complete horror at the state of samsara and fear of being trapped in it. It can get worse and worse very fast, it can spin suddenly completely out of control. Only the Dharma shows the way out of that and so our connection with Dharma, the Mandala of Awakening, is the most precious thing possible. Deep reflection about this is needed in order to motivate oneself even for one’s own sake, let alone others. From that initial deep revulsion for the whole samsaric process, the motivation of compassion for others can blossom forth. Deep reflection is essential.

Note: Shamata means calm abiding in meditation
  • @retrospect, when you hit one of those dull states, try some of the alternative perceptions of the breath suggested in the talk I linked. It's a very worthwhile experiment.
  • There are 4 meditative concentrations 1. possesses both ideas and scrutiny.
    2. possesses no ideas but scrutiny alone 3. concentration of mental action which is devoid of ideas and scrutiny. 4. concentration of mental action which is united with delight.
    So, you might try slipping into #4 and developing some delight. If this gets into exhilaration the tonic is enthusiasm-which may return you to delight. good fortune