Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is there a Buddhist dictionary for beginners?

Good morning.....I'm enjoying this new learning but at the mo I'm using a samsung tab and I have to keep finding translations of these new words...its time consuming (one finger typing that is!) :) ...thats not the issue its the fact that once I've found the meaning I've forgotten what I was reading about!...help please :p

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You need to be a bit more specific about which terms you're referring to....
    Theravada Buddhism uses Pali.

Mahayana Buddhism tends to use Sanskrit.....

@Jason will probably give you some wise direction - certainly on the Theravada route....
  • jaejae Veteran
    Oh my .... I thought it was a the same
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Metta - Pali.
    Maitri - Sanskrit.

Sutta - Pali
    Sutra - Sanskrit

Dhamma - pali
    Dharma - Sanskrit

Kamma - Pali
    Karma - Sanskrit

Buddha - hell, that's everyone's guy!
    BhikkhuJayasaraanataman
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Fredrica thank you so much for helping but I really have to admit that I am no clearer...I have started with the four noble truths on buddhanet ...are you saying there are different interpretations of these....? Excuse me but I'm only a week into this and don't have a clue :o
    edited December 2013
    No, the above terms are just different spellings of the same things....

I can entirely relate to your desire to know, but honestly, as one who has walked your path, you really don't need a dictionary to know every single term...

Buddhanet is useful....

And this site will be useful for Pali terminology, (main site home page) but don't think you need to learn these by heart; even some of the most erudite and learned scholars of buddhism use English terminology to describe Buddhist terms....
    EvenThirdjaeBhikkhuJayasara
    edited December 2013
    (Ps: It's 'FeDerica', not FRedrica.... I merely mention this because placing an "@" symbol in front of a member's forum name alerts that member to a mention of them - but the name HAS to be as it's presented on the profile, otherwise it won't work.....)
  • A few terms to get you started:

Boddhisatva - Basic Buddha model, keen on being kind
    Buddha - Non sleeping human
    Buddhism - Still awaiting agreed definition
    Emptiness - the space for awakening between ones ears
    Impermanence - Dharma weathering
    Karma - a form of wish and curse fulfilment
    Paranirvana - a post death non event for Buddhas
    Pureland - Quantum dimension for dead Buddhas
    Meditation - sitting around as if it is hard
    Nirvana - A state of being free from Buddhists and other suffering
    Sangha - a flock of monks
    Sutra - dogma, like 'gospel truth', Buddhist style
    Tantra - Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
    Zen - Autistic enlightenment

Hope that is helpful :D
    Theswingisyellowanataman
  • jaejae Veteran
    @federica.....oops noted and thanks again
    @Lobster....great start merci
    @robot.....excellent tres bien
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    google is your friend :) I use it all the time to remember different suttas that i've forgotten the name of.

FeDerica gave you a good link to that glossary of buddhist terms.

also this link "the list of buddhist lists" may be helpful in organizing a lot of the words you're starting to learn - http://www.leighb.com/listlist.htm .... or it may confuse you even more! lol

• jaejae Veteran
    @jayantha....quite possibly! Thanks
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    hi Jae, you can download both Sanskrit and Pali dictionaries at

http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/index.php

I'm curious about something, you seem positively frantic to learn, do you have some sort of deadline? Enthusiasm is a good thing but the dharma is something one spends a lifetime, perhaps many lifetimes learning. What's the rush? Slow down and smell the lotus blossom.

Metta
    federica
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Dobs....Ha yes I hear you...a couple of reasons...

1. Its the way I am (manic maybe!) And yes I want to slow down one day...

2. And prob more relevant at the moment I'm on my 6th day of abstinance from alcohol...my partner is currently sitting next to me with a beer ....learning...chatting...venting my spleen is giving me a better focus...that knot in my core (addiction) is gradually loosening but too often it squeezes my attention ....then I try to look at it contemplate it and it seems to take the pressure off...learning is good for me
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hope I'm making sense!
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I think it helps if you don't translate the buddhist technical jargon into simple one word equivalents in English. The most common result is to get very Christian influence vocabulary, which is misleading, the systems are pretty different. So if you see something translated as sin, salvation, rosary, etc, it's probably giving you the impression that Buddhism is more Christian than it is.

It is already a real challenge that the Buddha used common Hindu words to describe his system, which to date has created a lot of argument about if the Buddha was just trying to be helpful (sort of the way a computer scientist might call a computer a brain, even though the computer-is-a-brain is at best a strained analogy)-- or was he trying to define Buddhism in contract to hinduism, or is Buddhism just a lightly modified version of hinduism (hinduism for export is a phrase that comes to my mind). Hinduism has the exact same words (dukka, moksha, etc) but uses them differently- imho, different enough as to not be the same. Add to that the fact that by 500-600 AD in India, Buddhism had borrowed just about everything else from Hinduism and it gets really hard to separate the two and how they are using common vocabulary.

And the Buddhist jargon has several layers of meaning-- Buddha meaning "awake (not sleeping)", but also in a jargon sense, "enlightened"-- Bikkhu means monk, but also, its just the ordinary word for beggar, like the one the city police round up every few days and throw in jail.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Matthewmartin thanks for your input..and yes its quite confusing for me at the moment...I really like the last paragraph of your comment
    @jae Good on ya Jae. Whatever works for you I wish you the best. I’m no stranger to wrestling inner demons either. What helps me is that place of quiet awareness as I meditate. My ‘go to’ when nothing else works. Takes some patience to learn but it’s been worth it for me.
    Ever consider a meditation retreat? Would give you a week or two of focus.

Metta
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Dobs...thank you for your kind words of support and understanding...it was downloading a guided meditation track that got me started on this journey..I've been using it at least once a day for the last week or so and its working for me.

I have been thinking of how I would go about finding a retreat would love to do that...
    @jae here's a site that might help, courses are pay what you can if you can

http://www.dhamma.org/en/alphalist.shtml
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Dobs...thanks can you recommend anywhere on the south coast I live in the Channel Islands?
  • jaejae Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Doh...south coast of England @Dobs :-/
    Ah. Note that I say 'colour' not 'color'.... 'harbour' not 'harbor'.... America and the UK: two countries divided by a common language. A bit like Pali/Sanskrit!
    BhikkhuJayasaraanataman
    C'est pour ça que tu parles le Francais de temps en temps, donc?
    Nibbana/Nirvana.

Which do you think is Pali, and which is Sanskrit?
  • jaejae Veteran
    @federica .... First one pali? Less constenants in pali?

I speak a little french not as much as I would like to.... Guernsey was once French...all the road names are in French ....France is closer to us than UK...we even had our own dialect ...sadly not taught in our schools

I have used French as I'm getting bored with the English version and with all the help I'm getting its being well used....

AlsoI have a rather odd facination with learning how to say thank you in different languages! Drives my partner to distraction when we are shopping and I ask the person at the till what nationality they are...he normally legs it at that point :)
    Correct.

Shame about the dialect not being taught. Save it from dying as a language....

I lived in France (Near Dijon) for 7 years or so. loved it. Miss it, a bit, but not in all ways. (That's a whole different topic....)

I think learning other languages is more precious than anything. You inherit a whole new culture, cuisine, way of living through it.

Good job!
    jae
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    federica said:

I lived in France (Near Dijon) for 7 years or so. ....

Why did you leave? Couldn't cut the mustard?

jaeBhikkhuJayasara
  • jae said:

@Dobs...thanks can you recommend anywhere on the south coast I live in the Channel Islands?

http://obcon.org/blog/2012/08/11/jersey-serene-reflection-meditation-group/
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @federica...agreed re the language not being taught...I haven't been that far down.....my retirement dream would be to take the canal from St Malo and end up in the med ...again a whole other storey (attachment) ;)
  • jaejae Veteran
    Nice one @lobster my neighbouring Island thank you
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    federica said:

You need to be a bit more specific about which terms you're referring to....
    Theravada Buddhism uses Pali.

Mahayana Buddhism tends to use Sanskrit.....

@Jason will probably give you some wise direction - certainly on the Theravada route....

A couple of good Pali ones are:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html
    http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/dic_idx.html

Mahayana:

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/glossary.html

Tibetan tradition:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav/n.html_2081523022.html

• jaejae Veteran
    @jason thank you for the links ..nice to meet you
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Yes, actually, there are several Buddhist dictionaries out there. Have you done a search on Amazon? Try: A Concise Dictionary of Buddhism and Zen, and A Dictionary of Buddhist Terms and Terminology. These are good for beginners and advanced students alike. There are others, as well.
  • jaejae Veteran
    Hi @Dakini ...I will certainly have a look...nice to meet you