Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NT1

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Basics
As some of us may have read in our Book of Shadows:

Noble Truth Won aka NT1
Existence is dukkha (agitation, changeable, distress, stress, ’woah is me' etc)

Is this Buddhist Quantum Mechanics? Most inescapably obvious? Partly true like Newtonian physics? A working theory? Experiential certainty for all time and situations? Tradition? Hard coded dogma? Doom and gloom for the whole family coven?

Be kind guys . . . and have a Nice Day

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    @lobster....Good morning... it would take 'me' a lifetime of study to understand the question and another to give you an answer :) .... more importantly you have a nice day (well make the most of the nice moments!)
    lobsterJeffrey
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Thanks for the post Lobster. It comes down to understanding our situation, this is what life is. If one doesn't even comprehend the board one is playing on, how can one make sense of the game?

• :wave:

Sense?

NT -1 (pre Noble Truth?) Existence makes Sense

There are rules of reality?

The reason I am questing what the NT 1 is . . . to find out if it is self evident, obvious, a life truth, a fact, an assumption, an experiential starting point . . . and if it is indisputable, why only evident to Buddhists or is that not true?

Curiouser and curiouser
    Alice
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Remember what the dormouse said @lobster:
    'Feed your head'
    lobster
  • lobster said:

As some of us may have read in our Book of Shadows:

Noble Truth Won aka NT1
    Existence is dukkha (agitation, changeable, distress, stress, ’woah is me' etc)

Is this Buddhist Quantum Mechanics? Most inescapably obvious? Partly true like Newtonian physics? A working theory? Experiential certainty for all time and situations? Tradition? Hard coded dogma? Doom and gloom for the whole family coven?

Be kind guys . . . and have a Nice Day

I am sure reading your posts gives us a direct insight into the first noble truth.
    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the post Lobster. It comes down to understanding our situation, this is what life is. If one doesn't even comprehend the board one is playing on, how can one make sense of the game?

Curious that you should mention a 'board game'..... the board game 'Snakes 'n' Ladders' originated as a Hindu game to teach the players (mostly young children) what Kamma is all about....
    lobsteranatamanTheswingisyellowpoptart
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Suffering can be broken down into three types

1)Suffering of suffering: This is the obvious stuff like breaking your leg or having a loved one die, loosing a job, etc.

2)Suffering of change: This is the way pleasure turns into pain. The first bite of cake is always the best, the rest of the piece goes down pretty quick. By the end of the second piece things are getting a bit too sweet. By the end of your 5th piece you're feeling pretty sick.

In general it translates into there being no type of lasting satisfaction or pleasure in samsara.

3)All pervasive suffering: This is a type of very subtle suffering that we all have merely by the fact of our existence. I think it isn't really something we can see unless we have penetrated emptiness experientially.

So I think the answer to your question depends upon which type you're looking at. I won't give my opinion but hopefully that might help you clear up your own.
    Jeffrey

• Is this Buddhist Quantum Mechanics? Most inescapably obvious? Partly true like Newtonian physics? A working theory? Experiential certainty for all time and situations? Tradition? Hard coded dogma? Doom and gloom for the whole family coven?

I think it's a simple perspective. Profound, but simple. There are world views that say "Life is beautiful" or "Life is magical." "Life is tremendous, if you'll just consider THIS!" But Buddhism's perspective isn't that at all. Buddhism's perspective is "Life is suffering!"
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Doom and gloom for the whole family coven, and everyone else too.
  • ::snip::
    5. Advice from a Caterpillar
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

'Who are you?' said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, 'I — I hardly know, sir, just at present — at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

'What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. 'Explain yourself!'

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'

'I don't see,' said the Caterpillar.

'I'm afraid I can't put it more clearly,' Alice replied very politely, 'for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.'

'It isn't,' said the Caterpillar.

'Well, perhaps you haven't found it so yet,' said Alice; 'but when you have to turn into a chrysalis — you will some day, you know — and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you'll feel it a little queer, won't you?'

'Not a bit,' said the Caterpillar.

'Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,' said Alice; 'all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.'

'You!' said the Caterpillar contemptuously. 'Who are you?'

Which brought them back again to the beginning of the conversation. Alice felt a little irritated at the Caterpillar's making such very short remarks, and she drew herself up and said, very gravely, 'I think, you out to tell me who you are, first.'

'Why?' said the Caterpillar.

Here was another puzzling question; and as Alice could not think of any good reason, and as the Caterpillar seemed to be in a very unpleasant state of mind, she turned away.

'Come back!' the Caterpillar called after her. 'I've something important to say!'

This sounded promising, certainly: Alice turned and came back again.

'Keep your temper,' said the Caterpillar.

'Is that all?' said Alice, swallowing down her anger as well as she could.

'No,' said the Caterpillar.

Alice thought she might as well wait, as she had nothing else to do, and perhaps after all it might tell her something worth hearing. For some minutes it puffed away without speaking, but at last it unfolded its arms, took the hookah out of its mouth again, and said, 'So you think you're changed, do you?'

'I'm afraid I am, sir,' said Alice; 'I can't remember things as I used — and I don't keep the same size for ten minutes together!'

'Can't remember what things?' said the Caterpillar.

'Well, I've tried to say "How doth the little busy bee," but it all came different!' Alice replied in a very melancholy voice.

'Repeat, "You are old, Father William,"' said the Caterpillar.
    snip::
    lobster