Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Make someone's Christmas Special-

MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
edited December 2013 in General Banter
http://www.upworthy.com/perfect-a-gift-for-all-the-people-in-your-life-who-don-t-actually-need-more-stuff-2

$20 buys a "stove" for a family in Haiti. Make a donation today.
This is a legitimate organization legitimately helping! Make someone's (Christmas) day.
;)
VastmindJeffreylobsterDobsTheEccentricDaiva

Comments

• I should have mentioned that in order to donate for a stove, click on the "The Adventure Project" link under the video, and then on the "lump of coal" Christmas gift box picture....
    OR just click here ----> http://theadventureproject.org/home/
  • I would but I am not able to spend my SSI on charity. Honest, I would. ;)
    MaryAnne
  • The Adventure Project has reached their intended goal just in time for Christmas --

10,000 coal stoves donated to Haiti!!
    JeffreyEvenThirdVastmindDharmaMcBum
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Just curious, how do they buy the coal for the stoves? It seems a good thing to do though. My folks usually do this for me at christmas.
  • buying coal doesn't seem to be a problem for them... although the money they need to spend on coal would be better spent on food itself... BUT, these stoves make twice the heat on less than half the usual coal per meal. So that is a BIG help.
    Cool :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Why does this sound like we are sending powdered milk to Africa ,,,again.

Getting fuel for the stoves not a problem?????

Once a lush island covered in trees Haiti is now 98 percent deforested. Twenty million trees are felled each year to meet the demand for the island’s primary fuel source; charcoal. The poor have little choice but to continue to produce and burn charcoal as it is essential to the most basic of needs. The Haitian government has no environmental regulations and provides no subsidiaries for alternative fuels, which has led to a situation of environmental catastrophe. During the rainy season nutrient rich topsoil washes away into the sea making it impossible to grow food and hundreds die from flash flooding. Haiti is quickly reaching an irrecoverable state where the majority of the island will succumb to desertification and become inhabitable.

Anyone checked how many u tube videos there are on how inexpensive it is to make solar stoves? and that's for areas much cooler than Haiti! It's not the only answer but is one that might offer a less damning future for the folks we say we are trying to help.

The folks sending milk protein to areas where the inhabitants could not absorb that protein were also legitimate organizations. Skillful means, as an expression, applies to so much more than just good intent.

DharmaMcBumBarra
    See now I was wondering about stuff like that.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I imagine the coal is imported.... they don't have enough indigenous wood to make their own. Read the website's link provided above. These coal stoves are a HUGE improvement over cooking over an open fire. They explain why. Do you think it would be better to ignore the issue and let them starve or watch more children die from respiratory disease and lung cancers? Solar stoves work great, if you have 3-4 hours to make a pot of soup.... and don't need to use them for three meals a day which gets really impractical.
    edited January 2014
    By the way- the stoves are made ON the island by Haitians themselves, so it creates a "cottage industry" where jobs are badly needed. Also these stoves are only one thing of many things being done by this particular organization. Each small step makes a big difference.

As far as the formula sent to Africa, that was a travesty and a tragedy because the Nestle company sent them the formula they could not sell anywhere else, and failed to realize the lack of Clean, PURE water rendered the formula useless. No, not useless- dangerous.
    Well some say failed to realize, others say they just didn't give a shit about that. (I tend to agree with the latter)
    They also blatantly convinced mothers of nursing children that the formula was "better" than their (so-called un-nutritious) breast milk. These stoves are a far, far cry from that kind of exploitation.
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I believe that Haiti's imports of coal were not only for industrial usage but they have flat lined in my business reports for a number of years along with the economy. It is charcoal that is being produced from a dwindling forest supply, and being called coal.
    I have no doubt that a charcoal burning stove is an improvement over an open fire of charcoal but both of these options are bad.
    &
    I have seen cheap solar parabolic stoves cook just as fast as my gas stove. There are many different types of solar stoves. Some are slow, some are not. It is not the complete answer, just makes me wonder why that Haiti home stove construction isn't also making solar stoves, considering their climate and their soon to be finishing charcoal supplies.
    Calling the production of charcoal burning stoves, helpful for Haitians is in the larger picture, like saying fracking for natural gas is helpful for us.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Could it be that Haiti is a frequently overcast country?
  • ^^ yea, I figured I wouldn't even bother going there, @vinlyn. Also wondered how people would cook at night after the sun went down, or even only an hour or two before the sun went down.... solar stoves are not practical for that particular environment. But I didn't think it was worth the argument.... I'm tired.
    I'm dumb. I hadn't even thought of the dusk, dawn, night scenario. :o
  • If they could store energy in rechargeable batteries that problem (sun etc) would be ok.
  • Well @Jeffrey, I think people living in tin shacks and rag-tents with open sewage everywhere in ditches around their hovels don't have the means for solar panels or battery storage areas. These families live on the equivalent of about $2 a day.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @MaryAnne
    So sorry for bringing up something not worthy of investigation if it questions what you were promoting.. Sorry that it makes you tired!

Maybe there are mystery imports of coal for residential useage/Maybe Haiti is often overcast/ Maybe a stove with no fuel costs isn't something that a poor family would use because cooking in the dark is really what is most important to them?

Even with a monthly Haitian average of 175 to 300 hours of sunshine a month, and a tropical solar cooking potential of 12 hours a day, it is not worth considering?????
    Not even using solar part time, as a way of slowing down the eventual collapse of their already struggling quality of life?????

edited January 2014
    ^^^ So start a new program of donating solar stoves to Haiti and other desperate countries, @How.
    I don't know what else to say. Why do you feel the need to tear down something GOOD that people all over the world are contributing to? Maybe you should ask yourself that. And try watching the video... these particular people are squashed into small areas with NO ROOM outdoors for solar stove set ups where no shadows are cast and no kids won't knock things over. They cook IN their tents and shacks... and I imagine they may even use stoves in their 'homes' when things get wet and/or chilly? Even tropical areas do get (relatively) chilly weather from time to time, especially at night, no?
    DharmaMcBum
  • MaryAnne I was just brainstorming. It sounds like a wonderful program.
  • No problem @Jeffrey. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I don't think this is about whether solar will work for every one. Nothing works for everyone.
    People contribute with the best of intent to many things that don't help those they thought it would. If no one is prepared to objectively ask the hard questions, then good intentions that may be harming folks (as we have mentioned previously) just continues and who is really responsible. Nestle or us?
    I am a middle aged white guy in a relatively affluent country who isn't on the ground in Haiti. Both of us care about folks who are suffering. I am only questioning what I see as the eventual intensification of Haiti's suffering. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe even if I am right, Haiti's suffering from desertification might now be unstoppable.
    All I know is the only thing worse than seeing others suffer is staying quiet when speaking up might have helped.
    DharmaMcBum
    edited January 2014
    @how, BTW- I meant I was tired because I'm not well.... not that YOU made me tired.
    I was just too tired to argue about anything or with anyone - and it was obvious you were not very willing to "listen', anyway. But hey- "bygones" - I'm over it.
    @how, I admit that I know nothing about Haiti, other than it's location and other scant information.

But, what's your knowledge base about Haiti?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @MaryAnne
    I think that a discussion only feels like an argument when one of the party's feels there is something to lose. Since you didn't address most of my questions, I also assumed that there was a lack of listening going on.
    I am sorry that you are not well and my questioning dragged you where you probably didn't feel like going. When I'm not well, my favorite position is embryotic and really wish everyone would just piss off. Even the nice ones.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @vinlyn
    Probably no more than you. Just an armchair computer quarterback thinking that Haiti is suffering the same probable conditions that brought the Polynesians of Pitcairn, Angkor Wat's collapse, lowland Maya, Easter Island and a host of other peoples to their knees and extinction.
    A very poor country with limited resources who are actively destroying their own environment and are consequently less able to feed themselves with each passing day.

DharmaMcBum
    So, personally, I wouldn't be so adamant about solutions if I knew less than a major charity organization that has boots on the ground.

Nothing wrong with brainstorming, but brainstorming without any knowledge base is often not at all productive.