Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Very short Medicine Buddha practice for others (and for yourself)

SileSile Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Very Short Medicine Buddha Practice

~Lama Zopa Rinpoche

(modified to include the step-by-step practice for others)

This practice can be done for yourself if you are sick or you can do for others, in which case you visualize Medicine Buddha above the other person’s head.

For Others

Visualize Medicine Buddha above their head and while reciting the mantra, nectar comes from the heart of Medicine Buddha to them, purifying them of negative karma, spirit harm and all sicknesses and bringing them all the realizations, up to enlightenment.

At the end it is important to visualize strongly that all their negativities are purified and washed away. Their body becomes very clear and in the nature of light. Then many Medicine Buddhas from throughout space absorb into them. Concentrate strongly that they (and all sentient beings) are completely purified.

For Yourself

Visualize Medicine Buddha above your head and while reciting the mantra, nectar comes from the heart of Medicine Buddha to you, purifying you of negative karma, spirit harm and all sicknesses and bringing you all the realizations, up to enlightenment.

At the end it is important to visualize strongly that all your negativities are purified and washed away. Your body becomes very clear and in the nature of light. Then many Medicine Buddhas from throughout space absorb into you. Concentrate strongly that yourself (and all sentient beings) are completely purified.

Mantra:

Short Medicine Buddha mantra:

TAYATA OM BEKANDZE BEKANDZE MAHA BEKANDZE RANDZE SAMUNGATE SOHA

Long Medicine Buddha mantra:

OM NAMO BHAGAWATE BEKANDZE / GURU BENDURYA / PRABHA RANDZAYA / TATHAGATAYA / ARHATE SAMYAKSAM BUDDHAYA / TAYATA OM BEKANDZE BEKANDZE MAHA BEKANDZE / RANDZE SAMUNGATE SOHA

ChazanatamanbetaboyVastmindperson

Comments

• Here is a link to the audio portion of the Medicine Buddha practice developed as an iPod/iPad app. There are two formats - AAC, and mp3:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4o0ef2iewjdk6q6/XxUjyg-4oM

This is the complete practice, 39 minutes. The app also divides it up into individual parts of the practice - I'll include those soon. The audio matches very closely to the Medicine Buddha practice, "Wish-Fulfilling Jewel."

Several printing/viewing versions of Wish-Fulfilling Jewel:

http://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/education/prayers/mbpujalttrbklt.pdf

https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/education/prayers/medicine_buddha_wish-fulfilling_jewel_c5.pdf
  • Dedicating this thread to my very dear friend Shelley Ryan and her family, and to all those possibly approaching the end of their battle with cancer, and to all suffering beings.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    mettha @sile

May they be blessed with clear-sight awareness and an open heart

Yet again I open my heart and meditate and recite this mantra for them now:

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    BY the power and truth of this practice
    may all beings achieve happiness
    and the causes of happiness
    May all be free from suffering
    and the causes of suffering
    May all dwell in the great happiness
    that is free of attachment and aversion
    and live believing in the equality of all that lives

I dedicate the merit of this practice to the enlightenment of all beings, knowing that the person practising this mediation, the people to whom it is dedicated and the act of the dedication are illusory.
    TheswingisyellowSileVastmind
  • Thank you so much @anataman!
    Vastmind