Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

For The Buddhist Who Has Everything

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
edited December 2013 in General Banter
At this festive time of year, why not get your favorite Buddhist a prayer wheel that contains over 84 billion prayers burned on 8 DVDs

http://tibettech.com/cart/hand-held-prayer-wheel/tibet-tech-hand-held-prayer-wheel

Blessed and everything.

All for the paltry sum of $141 + shipping

They also have solar powered prayer wheels as well

If you order today it could be under the tree in time for Christmas.

Is this a great country or what?
cvalueVastmindanatamanInvincible_summerJeffrey

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh good grief....... :rolleyes:
    cvalueVastmindanatamanjae
  • hmmm... $141.00 -- What a bargain!
    And clear "crystal" knob on top and as the swinging ball? Sheeesh, high end stuff here!
    But I think the most impressive part is that they are all "blessed" by the third most powerful monk in line behind HHDL. Whoa. That convinces me- this really IS " The most powerful prayer wheel in the world "

cvalue
  • OK... so Who picked my name out of the NB Secret Santa hat this year?
    I have a few suggestions, now! ;)
    ChazVastmind
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    While I find myself rolling my eyes at this, in some ways it's rather ingenious.

I traditional prayer wheel has a number of prayers/mantras written on bits of paper and sealed inside. The number of mantras is said to have a bearing on how "powerful" the wheel is. Here we have similar mantras stored digitally and a lot more can be stored on a single DVD disc (10 billion or so) than on even the largest traditional wheel.

$141 dollars for such a wheel is a bargain. A larger prayer wheel such as this:

Will cost $1000's to build and won't hold a tenth of what on DVD will hold.

You may not like the basic idea behind a prayer wheel or you may object to the aesthetic, but you can't deny the genius in the idea relative to the need some will have for such a device.
  • Sure it's 'ingenious' -- in a capitalistic, greedy, money-making-scam sorta way.

But hey- Merry Krishna and Happy Buddha!
    MaryAnne said:

Sure it's 'ingenious' -- in a capitalistic, greedy, money-making-scam sorta way.

But hey- Merry Krishna and Happy Buddha!

Before you call it a "scam" you should be sure it really is a scam.

Actually, such a product can be argued to actually save money over traditional wheels, whhich you can spend a lot more on - even hand-helds.

And there's nothing wrong with capitalism or money making, even for groups associated with a high-ranking lama.

Would you ask a secularist like Stephen Batchelor to give his books away for free?

It's gives me a chuckle though.
  • OM MANI PEME KER CHING (mantra of the Western Money Buddha)

A great money and mani spinner.
    http://meditationquest.net/meditation-videos/meditation-mantras/buddhist-money-mantra-108-times/

These Buddhists will buy anything . . .

HO HO HO
    person
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    *shrugs* if it benefits someone in one way or another, why not?
    Chaz
    lobster said:

OM MANI PEME KER CHING (mantra of the Western Money Buddha)

A great money and mani spinner.
    http://meditationquest.net/meditation-videos/meditation-mantras/buddhist-money-mantra-108-times/

These Buddhists will buy anything . . .

HO HO HO

Priceless!!

It's one of the quirky things about religion in general that people get some rather odd ideas about money and religion - like being a Buddhist or a Christian or whatever will make their lives more financially prosperous.

Well, more power to them I guess.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That's the problem, does it truly do so? How can one tell?
    MaryAnne
    federica said:

I don't think it can be objectively quantified. It's purely subjective.

So, it's really not a problem at all - at least not for those engaged in the activity.

The use of prayerwheels in countries like Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan is quite common. A lot of people use them. There's no telling what benefit they actually recieve, but many people continue to do it, so it's safe to assume that they do get something out of it.

Just because we don't see the sense of something, doesn't mean it's nonsense.

lobster
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @chaz said: "It's purely subjective..." Exactly.
    And I have my opinions on it, as stated. IMO- Prayer wheels sold for $20 are just as 'effective' as $140 ones.
    No reason to 'debate' about it for the next 27 posts...
    ChazVastmindriverflow
  • @chaz asks:
    "Would you ask a secularist like Stephen Batchelor to give his books away for free? "

Depends on how crappy his books are... I don't think I've read any of them.
    Why do some people on this forum assume ALL secular Buddhists are Steven Batchelor devotees?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Because all religious Buddhists are Dali Lama devotees? :lol:
    Chaz
    edited December 2013
    MaryAnne said:

@chaz asks:
    "Would you ask a secularist like Stephen Batchelor to give his books away for free? "

Depends on how crappy his books are... I don't think I've read any of them.
    Why do some people on this forum assume ALL secular Buddhists are Steven Batchelor devotees?

Geez MaryAnne, did I say you were a devotee? No. I asked a simple question that needs a simple answer. If you object to a religious Buddhist organization making money off practice items like a modern prayer wheel, would you also object to a secularist (being a secularist yourself) like Stephen Batchelor, doing something similar, like selling books about his particular take on Buddhism?

vinlyn said:

Because all religious Buddhists are Dali Lama devotees? :lol:

That's DALAI Lama, dude!

Dali was an surrealist painter.
    The Dali Lama paints a broad canvas of Buddhist cosmology.

Salvador Dalai was a surrealist painter only of Buddhist paintings.

What's spelling when a lama is a camelid?

:p
    edited December 2013
    Oh please, Stephen Batchelor's name gets thrown into every single thread that has anything to do with "secular" vs non-secular buddhism. And as for the rest of your argument regarding what *I* said; The OP was sufficiently and obviously 'snarky' on its own.
    As soon as a few people agree with it, or get just as snarky- here comes Chaz (the OP himself!) with the endless and sanctimonious counter-points. I'm not getting sucked into one of your tedious strawman threads...
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    federica said:

I assume this was a response to my post. My only response would be its up to us to make our own decisions about that. For myself the only benefit i see to an item like that is an increase in wrist strength, so i wouldnt even buy a cheap one.

Others may think differently, and if they decide it benefits them, good for them. Have mudita(appreciative joy) for them and work on your own salvation.

On a lighter side this topic reminds me of two Ajahn Chah stories. One where a lay disciple was drafted into the army and wanted a buddha necklace that was blessed to help stop bullets. Even after ajahn chah said there was no such thing the man persisted so Ajahn Chah relented he did have such a buddha that could stop bullets... And led the man to a 20 foot buddha in the courtyard LOL!

There is another similar story with a big time general who came to ajahn chah asking for holy water, even though ajahn chah said there was no such then but the general persisted and ajahn chah relented, asking him to kneel... Then Ajahn Chah spit on him and stated he was now blessed with holy water! Lol.
    MaryAnneVastmind
    MaryAnne said:

Oh please, Stephen Batchelor's name gets thrown into every single thread that has anything to do with "secular" vs non-secular buddhism. And as for the rest of your argument regarding what *I* said; The OP was sufficiently and obviously 'snarky' on its own.
    As soon as a few people agree with it, or get just as snarky- here comes Chaz (the OP himself!) with the endless and sanctimonious counter-points. I'm not getting sucked into one of your tedious strawman threads...

The why do you bother to respond at all save to get all snarky yourself?

Geeeeez

But you won't answer the question MaryAnne. You offer some snarky comment about a religious Buddhist org, trying to make a few buck, like that's a bad thing. I assume this is coming from a secularis perspective, wso I wonder if you apply the same judgement to a secularist doing what the religious do.

Don't want to talk about Batchelor? Fine. How about Sam Harris - Both an Atheist and a Dzogchenpa. Can he sell stuff or is that just a scam.
    edited December 2013
    I answered your question:
    "IMO- Prayer wheels sold for $20 are just as 'effective' as $140 ones." How effective? That, as you said, is subjective.

and you can stop with the pearl clutching wide eyed innocence, too. I know your game.
    Chazvinlyn
  • Speaking of games, how about a Buddhist board game?
  • @poptart

You know, I'm on my way out in a minute... but I'm going to look into that game. Who knows? Could be interesting, right? Wonder if it costs over a hundred bucks?! ;)
    poptart
    Monopobuddhism? Each school has a series of properties. But each person's game piece is nonexistent.
    ChazpoptartMaryAnneEvenThird
    poptart said:

Speaking of games, how about a Buddhist board game?

That's a riot.

I've got timer at home made just for meditation. It's called the Enso Timer.

salubrion.com/products/ensoclock/

Enso is Japanese word meaning "Circle" . It's a common subject on meditative caligraphy (shodo) and the timer takes some visual cues from that.

I find it very useful, but not necessary. I used to use an incense stick.

It costs about $100.

• Let the buyer beware; whatever floats their boat.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
  • I think this thing is the answer.
    The question is "What would PT Barnum sell to Buddhists?"
  • You know I have two meditation watches. They vibrate when the timer goes off, no sound. Gifts. Just toys.
    Decorate Mr Cushion with your bum is my plan. I seem to have been born with all I need. :clap:
    EvenThird
  • jaejae Veteran
    @MaryAnne and @Chaz.... 'calm down' 'calm down' (said in a scouse accent) ...sorry just trying to make light however if you are not English you wouldn't get it... have a nice day both of you (not said in an American accent..no offence intended!)
  • All I want for the holidays is a set of Buddhist whoppie cushions.
    jaeChazMaryAnne