Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is scientology a valid belief system?

Comments

• Scientology members think so....
    VastmindjaecvalueInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...But I don't.
    VastmindcvalueInvincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I don't either.... :D
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Is buddhism a valid belief system?
    Invincible_summer
  • Jayantha said:

IT ALL DEPENDS :o
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't have any more of a problem having the topic discussed than -- as Jayantha is suggesting -- discussing whether Buddhism is a valid belief system. But in the end, I will defend with Jayantha's life the right of Scientologists to have their own belief system! :p
    MaryAnneThailandTomcvalueKundo
    edited December 2013
    Ok...Tom..I'm going to bite...
    What does Oprah have to do with this?
  • I just want to say with all my heart and intentions with the highest of respect that I can offer..

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAHAHAHAAHAHA

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    ^^^ Is that post valid?

Jayantha said:

IT ALL DEPENDS :o
    It all depends with scientology as well then.
  • ok, I change the question to what do you think about scientology?
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • I think it's a very very odd and kooky 'belief system' or 'religion' or whatever they prefer to call it. Granted, I'm not big on religion of any stripe or color, but Scientology really REALLY seems 'out there' to me.
    hermitwin said:

ok, I change the question to what do you think about scientology?

hermitwin said:

Well done.
    MaryAnne said:

I think it's a very very odd and kooky 'belief system' or 'religion' or whatever they prefer to call it. Granted, I'm not big on religion of any stripe or color, but Scientology really REALLY seems 'out there' to me.

Hey, its the only other religion besides buddhism that talks about aliens, so im good with it. :-P
    Vastmindmatthewmartin
  • vinlyn said:

Tom Cruise is nuts. Tom Cruise is a Scientologist. Therefore, Scientology is nuts.

Only joking. Sort of.

Does anybody need to supply video evidence?
    riverflow
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Jayantha said:

hermitwin said:

hermitwin said:

Well done.
    MaryAnne said:

I think it's a very very odd and kooky 'belief system' or 'religion' or whatever they prefer to call it. Granted, I'm not big on religion of any stripe or color, but Scientology really REALLY seems 'out there' to me.

Hey, its the only other religion besides buddhism that talks about aliens, so im good with it. :-P
    You're forgetting about Raelism.
    riverflow

vinlyn said:

Tom Cruise is nuts. Tom Cruise is a Scientologist. Therefore, Scientology is nuts.

Only joking. Sort of.

Does anybody need to supply video evidence?

Back to Ophra!

:lol:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Have you ever read the Urantia Book?

Jason said:

Jayantha said:

hermitwin said:

hermitwin said:

Well done.
    MaryAnne said:

You're forgetting about Raelism.
    ourself said:

Jayantha said:

Have you ever read the Urantia Book?

I know about neither things mentioned.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2013
    12/18/2013

newbuddhist
    Attn: Mr. hermitwin, et al
    123 Main St
    Anytown, State of Confuion, 56789

Re: False and defamatory statements made by newbuddhist to Tom Cruise and The Church of Scientology regarding Scientology thread

Dear newbuddhist:

We represent Scientology in connection with the above-referenced matter. Newbuddhist, its directors, officers, agents, employees and assigns (collectively, “hermitwin, et al”) are hereby warned and notified to CEASE AND DESIST making false and defamatory statements regarding Scientology and its ongoing matters with hermitwin.

It has come to our attention that false statements were made by hermitwin, et al. During a newbuddhist thread.
    The statements made by hermitwin, et al regarding Scientology are false, defamatory, constitute tortious interference with business, and as such, are actionable under U.S. law.

If our client is forced to commence a lawsuit against hermitwin, et al in order to stop continued false and defamatory statements, be advised that we will seek recovery of all attorneys’ fees and costs incurred herein as a result. While we certainly hope this is not necessary, we are prepared to pursue whatever avenues are necessary on behalf of our client to stop the continued false and defamatory statements made against Scientology by hermitwin, et al.

Sincerely,

Thomas Dewey
    Dewey, Cheetem, and Howe
    cc: Tom Cruise, The Church of Scientology
    matthewmartinriverflowVastmind
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I'm not sure what to call Scientology, but I think it's safe to say it a belief system. Valid? Who cares?

I like to think about how religions/belief systems come into being in the first place. Today, Buddhism is pretty well fleshed-out as a belief system, but then it's over 2000 years old. Scientology is less than 100 years old. What was Buddhism like when it was only 100 years old? Who would have called it valid at that time? How did it develop/evolve into what it is now? What steps did it take?

One of my favorite books is Gore Vidal's "Messiah". It tells the story of how one man, giving talks in mortuaries, became the basis for a new religion's meteoric rise from those obscure beginnings to the predominant religion in the world in the space of a single generation. It's a cynical view on Vidal's part, but gives the reader serious food for thought.

And it's a pretty good read, if you can find a copy.

So, how did a single man's teachings in India 2500 years ago, probably somewhat obscure himself, evolve into the worlds 4 largest religion?

Similarly, how will a self-help regimine, authored by a pulp sci-fi writer (and not a very good one), rapidly becoming a religion, evolve into the future, if at all? If we follow Vidal's scenario it will be up to the commitment of the people in the front office.

It would be a grand thing to observe.

vinlyn said:

Only joking. Sort of.

I think you're right.

Cruise is nuts.

Scientology is nuts too.

But is one related to the other?

Maybe?
    Don't forget Chaz, I was being humorous. I don't really think Tom Cruise is nuts, just a little on the periphery of mainstream. And I think Scientology ought to be looked at as a serious religion, if because of no other reason than it has quite a few followers. I've seen numbers anywhere from 100,000 to 15,000,000.

We ought to give it as fair an examination as we want other religions to give to Buddhism.

I have a problem with its views of psychiatry and psychology. But I don't know very much about that.

So, joking aside, what do we all feel about Scientology.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I am interested why OP really started this discussion.
    Invincible_summer
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

Don't forget Chaz, I was being humorous. I don't really think Tom Cruise is nuts, just a little on the periphery of mainstream. And I think Scientology ought to be looked at as a serious religion, if because of no other reason than it has quite a few followers. I've seen numbers anywhere from 100,000 to 15,000,000.

We ought to give it as fair an examination as we want other religions to give to Buddhism.

I have a problem with its views of psychiatry and psychology. But I don't know very much about that.

I totally get the humor.

But Cruise - did you not see him on Oprah? People on needle drugs aren't that crazy.

I'm with you too, that Scientology should be taken seriously - a lot of people seem to get something out of it.

There's the dark side of it, too, but a coin always has two side, right?
    Yes, and that Ophra appearance was what I was alluding to.
    Chaz
  • GuiGui Veteran
    All mental constructs suffer the same validity. Whether this or that accurately describes reality or not is another matter for discussion.
  • OP ffs just look at the way they recruit people, follow people and deny them a life. Scientology is a mix of the old and the new mostly highly paid people can endorse in. It has nothing to offer long term and should be abandoned asap as it based on insane fiction only morons would accept.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    re: why this is a valid topic.
    #1 you hear a lot of Buddhist say that religion X and Y are compatible, e.g. vipissana and Christianity. Mindfulness and Judaism. And so on.

#2 you hear people say, "We all pray to a higher being, but with a different name, God, Vishnu, Buddha, or..... Xenu*" *Scientology's ancient superbeing

#3 you see a lot of people say that religions are basically the same, they have similar ethical systems and a cosmological myth that would make for a good Hollywood movie. Maybe starring Cruise or Travolta. Buddhism too has a fancy cosmology system with multiple heavens and hells and myths about the battles between the asuras and devas.

My 2cents on Scientology:

The founder appears to have had schizophrenia/been a functional schizophrenic. Behind the schizophrenia, the guy seemed to want to invent a new form of psychology, something that moved along the edge of psychology and religion, a feature shared by Buddhism. When people sign up for Scientology, they are interested in that part, they aren't even allowed to know about the secret teachings about Xenu and the space opera and so on-- so the motivations of the people who join appear to be okay. That they seem to hold on after they learn about the space opera and schizophrenic ramblings... that doesn't reflect well on the followers.

The subsequent leaders of the organization seem to have no problem with getting rather rich off the members and has all the features of a cult (in the bad sense of the word).

I'm skeptical of organizations in general-- the abuses of mainstream churches are a matter of degree. Ideally, religion would be practiced independently or in ad hoc groups at home, sort of the way that Christianity is practiced unground in China. (lemme make clear that I don't think institutions should be banned to bring this about-- it just would be a good thing if people could practice religion outside of an institution.)
    edited December 2013

OP ffs just look at the way they recruit people, follow people and deny them a life. Scientology is a mix of the old and the new mostly highly paid people can endorse in. It has nothing to offer long term and should be abandoned asap as it based on insane fiction only morons would accept.

That's the dark side all right!

This gal my wife and I knew in college went to LA with her mom to be scientologists. They ended up having to sneak out in the middle of the night a year or two later. Those stories are not uncommon with Scientology.

The same could be said for many other religions. I was threatened with my life (god would kill me) if I left the group I was with. That was 40 years ago and there are still people faithful to the group. Can my experience be used to totally disparage a group like that? I dunno. Does one bad experience trump the experience of 100 other good ones? For some, maybe.

How about Mormonism?

Pentacostalism?

I've never heard of such a thing happening in Buddhism, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. It wouldn't suprise me if I heard about though? Buddhism's problem? No. Religion is just a collection of ideas. It's people who do screwed up things with it.
    matthewmartinThailandTom
  • I believe that Hubbard said Scientology was Buddhism. He said Scientology came from a 2500 year old system that came from the Buddha. He also said before then the tradition extended back thousands of years through the Vedas. I read his book The Phoenix lectures and the first 3 chapters is all about the Buddha's teachings and how Scientology is just an extension into modern times.

I have gotten the idea from some that amongst Buddhists there is some contention
    about Theravada or Tibetan or the Prajnaparamita not being the Buddha's teachings.
    From my view most religions teach positive values like human kindness and handling personal stains and living a better life. I think Scientology fits into that scheme pretty well. Of course some would disagree. That is fine with me. Personally I hold to the teachings of the Prajnaparamita, the heart and diamond sutras and Tibetan Buddhism.
    I think Christians should try to be good Christians and try to live a valuable life. Ditto Scientologists. Namaste
    Dennis1 said:

I believe that Hubbard said Scientology was Buddhism.

He also claimed to be the Matreiya, based on made up references to suttras.

And a scholarly paper on comparing Scientology and Buddhism.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/kent/eastern.html

I think the take away is that the two are no more similar than any other pairing of Buddhism with a non-dharmic religion.

Ooo. Here is a good chart:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Buddhism_vs_Scientology

Except for the space opera and psychology stuff, Scientology is very Christian influenced. hmm.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Look go read L. Ron Hubbards book, then if you find you believe in it - well good luck.

Otherwise here is the advertisement: http://www.scientology.org/what-is-scientology.html?link=top_beliefs
  • An american skeptic.

• from BBC,

• and the followup BBC,

• Dennis1 said:

Oh that Hubbard, always telling stories, writing fictional stories, playing with children, what a hero...

Sorry I have to leave this here, South Park did a great job and I am sure it has been posted before.

• Dennis1 said:

Oh that Hubbard, always telling stories, writing fictional stories, playing with children, what a hero...

Sorry I have to leave this here, South Park did a great job and I am sure it has been posted before.

Sorry been posted already
    :rolleyes:
  • jlljll Veteran
    Some Aussies also joined ,

• Former celebrity scientologist, Jason Beghe

• hahahahaha o jeez, @hermitwin that 2 hour video was worth watching. I thought I knew a lot about Scientology but it is so much more messed up than I thought. Thanks for posting.
  • You are welcome, Tom. Just found out they are in Bangkok too.

Thailand: Bangkok Church of Scientology Mission of Bangkok
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    hermitwin said:

It depends what you mean by "valid", and what you're comparing it to. Is Scientology any more valid than believing in God, for example? Or rebirth?
  • If it's a secret society you want, you'd be better off in the Illuminati.
  • Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

I totally get the humor.

But Cruise - did you not see him on Oprah? People on needle drugs aren't that crazy.

I'm with you too, that Scientology should be taken seriously - a lot of people seem to get something out of it.

There's the dark side of it, too, but a coin always has two side, right?
    I want some hits of whatever he has.
    Chaz
  • re: why this is a valid topic.
    #1 you hear a lot of Buddhist say that religion X and Y are compatible, e.g. vipissana and Christianity. Mindfulness and Judaism. And so on.

#2 you hear people say, "We all pray to a higher being, but with a different name, God, Vishnu, Buddha, or..... Xenu*" *Scientology's ancient superbeing

#3 you see a lot of people say that religions are basically the same, they have similar ethical systems and a cosmological myth that would make for a good Hollywood movie. Maybe starring Cruise or Travolta. Buddhism too has a fancy cosmology system with multiple heavens and hells and myths about the battles between the asuras and devas.

My 2cents on Scientology:

The founder appears to have had schizophrenia/been a functional schizophrenic. Behind the schizophrenia, the guy seemed to want to invent a new form of psychology, something that moved along the edge of psychology and religion, a feature shared by Buddhism. When people sign up for Scientology, they are interested in that part, they aren't even allowed to know about the secret teachings about Xenu and the space opera and so on-- so the motivations of the people who join appear to be okay. That they seem to hold on after they learn about the space opera and schizophrenic ramblings... that doesn't reflect well on the followers.

The subsequent leaders of the organization seem to have no problem with getting rather rich off the members and has all the features of a cult (in the bad sense of the word).

I'm skeptical of organizations in general-- the abuses of mainstream churches are a matter of degree. Ideally, religion would be practiced independently or in ad hoc groups at home, sort of the way that Christianity is practiced unground in China. (lemme make clear that I don't think institutions should be banned to bring this about-- it just would be a good thing if people could practice religion outside of an institution.)

What does scientology have to do with schizophrenia? Are you saying religious founders are schizophrenic?
    Jeffrey said:

What does scientology have to do with schizophrenia? Are you saying religious founders are schizophrenic?

No, I'm saying L Ron Hubbard had schizophrenia. A cursory examination of the internet says many other people have come to a similar conclusion, the guy was functional enough to found a religion but wasn't neurotypical. His Xenu story alone makes him sound like he doesn't have a firm grasp on reality.

[For what it's worth, I suspect the historical Buddha had a bout of depression]

"The Australian Report said that "expert psychiatric witnesses" were of the opinion that Hubbard's writings indicated "symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia of long standing with delusions of grandeur.""
    ref: http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/tsos/sos-20.html

"Sara (Hubbard's ex wife) left Hubbard early in 1951, accusing him of being "paranoid schizophrenic." Hubbard, perhaps having a legitimate worry in this regard, retaliated by first kidnapping Alexis from the Church of Scientology premises in Los Angeles, and then by kidnapping Sara and trying to have her declared insane in order to prevent her from doing same to him. "
    ref: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/wakefield/us-02.html

"Ron Hubbard meets all seven of the DSM IV criteria for diagnosing a person with antisocial personality disorder as shown by Russell Miller in "Bare Faced Messiah"
    ref: http://www.quora.com/Was-L-Ron-Hubbard-a-sociopath

"The FBI had a lengthy file on him, including a 1951 interview with an agent who considered him a "mental case""
    ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    hermitwin said:

Absolutely not its a money making Pyramid scheme.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.
    Response to a question from the audience during a meeting of the Eastern Science Fiction Association on (7 November 1948), as quoted in a 1994 affidavit by Sam Moskowitz.
    This statement is similar or identical to several statements Hubbard is reported to have made to various individuals or groups in the 1940s. Variants include:
    The incident is stamped indelibly in my mind because of one statement that Ron Hubbard made. What led him to say what he did I can't recall — but in so many words Hubbard said: "I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is!"
    seeker242