Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

a little (universal) perspective

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Comments

• ^^^ not as cool as that interactive program, but this is still an awesome video:

[LINK]

...and, while not to correct scale, the opening scene to Contact (based on Carl Sagan's novel) is brilliant-- it's the audio collage that impresses me especially... and all that silence:

[LINK]
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Yep we are nothing! Thanks for that :-)
    Dennis1
  • this could put betaboy over the edge you know.... ;)

(JK, Betaboy! JK)
    anatamanBhikkhuJayasarariverflow
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Haha all miniscule scales.... Compared to the multi-verse :-D
    Jeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Haha all miniscule scales.... Compared to the multi-verse :-D

Just a fragment of one of an infinite amount of possible multiverses.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    anataman said:

Yep, we are everything... Thanks for that as well.

(There's no such thing as nothing)
    riverflow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    riverflow said:

...and, while not to correct scale, the opening scene to Contact (based on Carl Sagan's novel) is brilliant-- it's the audio collage that impresses me especially... and all that silence:

Yes, that's an excellent sequence. Jodie Foster is excellent too.... :o
    edited December 2013
    What I like and find funny about the possibility of a multiverse is that it means there must be the possibility of a multitude of multiverses.

And it would still be just the one universe.
    riverflow
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited December 2013
    For a long time I wondered which direction in the sky the center of the universe was. (The direction of the big bang explosion). It turns out that there is no center, no point from which it originated. Instead, it appears that what appears to be empty space between the galaxies is actually propagating, thus all the distant objects outside our local galaxy group appear to be moving away from us, no matter where they are.

I was also surprised to learn that time is not constant, but rather is warped by gravity. Even something kind of small like the earth has a small warping effect on spacetime.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • ourself said:

:D
    When we more closely examine conceptualization and related thought processes based on sensory input both statements 'we are everything' and 'we are nothing' are perfectly equal in both validity and invalidity.
    The communication 'there is no such thing as nothing' is equally valid to the communication 'there is no such thing as anything (or everything).' The latter can be said to be true since all communications emerge from conceptualizations which are inaccurate representations of reality.
    The former can be said to be true because the term 'nothing' is always a moniker of a concept which, as previously mentioned is a priori non representative of reality.
    The former and latter can be said to be *essentially* untrue because saying it is true is only referencing a concept which is non representative of reality. In addition, the term truth and its meaning is a representation of a concept, which is non representative of reality.
    As you might see, the subtlety of language and the fragile nature of the principles being intimated are why we see so many apparent intentionally contradictory couplets in Mahayana prajnaparamita sutras.

riverflow
    edited December 2013

ourself said:

:D
    When we more closely examine conceptualization and related thought processes based on sensory input both statements 'we are everything' and 'we are nothing' are perfectly equal in both validity and invalidity.
    The communication 'there is no such thing as nothing' is equally valid to the communication 'there is no such thing as anything (or everything).' The latter can be said to be true since all communications emerge from conceptualizations which are inaccurate representations of reality.

I despise being "that" guy but that sentence is self defeating. Inaccurate representations is not the meaning of "nothing". If there was nothing then there would be no representation whatsoever. There would not even be an illusion because for an illusion to work, there must be something receiving faulty information.

And even information (faulty or true) is not nothing.

The former and latter can be said to be *essentially* untrue because saying it is true is only referencing a concept which is non representative of reality. In addition, the term truth and its meaning is a representation of a concept, which is non representative of reality.
    As you might see, the subtlety of language and the fragile nature of the principles being intimated are why we see so many apparent intentionally contradictory couplets in Mahayana prajnaparamita sutras.

I have to politely disagree. We can easily get most of us to attest to the fact that we are here right now. What here and now is could be completely up for grabs but one thing is clear... Something is definitely going on around here.

Even if it isn't really what we perceive it to be.

The sentence below this one is true
    The sentence above this one is false

• Awareness meets its mother, pure reality.

~my sangha liturgy
  • It's a difficult job to thread the needle. In order to communicate the result of the ultimate ineffectiveness of conceptualization, and 'name', we must not budge on this point that the label, 'real' or 'exists' do not correspond to anything. A practice with this understanding will blossom widely, and be much more free of entropy and a desire for a static state.

• oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I love relativity. If I told you that measurements such as length and width are not constant, but vary according to who is observing it and how fast each party is moving, would you believe me ? An object moving quickly in space will appear to itself to have a different length than what it does for us on earth. And both measurements are correct.

And I said that time is not constant but can dilate with speed or gravity depending on who is looking at it would you believe me? So two identical clocks on different gravitational bodies will have two separate time readings and both will be correct.
    In fact, if GPS satellites didn't account for the 'warp' in spacetime around the earth, they wouldn't be accurate.
    hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

riverflow
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited December 2013

I love relativity. If I told you that measurements such as length and width are not constant, but vary according to who is observing it and how fast each party is moving, would you believe me ? An object moving quickly in space will appear to itself to have a different length than what it does for us on earth. And both measurements are correct.

And I said that time is not constant but can dilate with speed or gravity depending on who is looking at it would you believe me? So two identical clocks on different gravitational bodies will have two separate time readings and both will be correct.
    In fact, if GPS satellites didn't account for the 'warp' in spacetime around the earth, they wouldn't be accurate.
    hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

Yes I believe you as I have just read Einstein's general and special theories of relativity. Space can be measured with a clock don't you know. Only my one needs new batteries. I'm lost in space-time right now so will get back to you when I've recharged them - reuse recycle that's me.