Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the most profound thought youve ever had?

banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
edited December 2013 in General Banter
I am interested

Comments

• No thought deseves a medal or a sanction.

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche...

That aside the most profound thought I have is that people are not cartoon characters that I can slot into my life. They are alive beings with a booming buzzing confusion in their minds. There is nobody destined to be with me. We are ships in the night.
  • What is yours imacrab? You can't post this question without answering it yourself. ;)
  • No thought deseves a medal or a sanction.

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche...
    I was going to say something along the lines of this because I am under the impression that we should dwell on things, even if they are positive thoughts that arise in meditation, they can be just as destructive as mundane or negative ones.
  • no thought
  • I am interested
    Profound.
    Yep. 'I am interested' is one of my profound insights too . . .
    jaeVastmindTheswingisyellow
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Hamsaka said:

The most profound thought I've ever had is the realization I am 99.9% full of shit.

Gassho :)

The other 0.01% is "Undecided".

EvenThirdriverflowlobsterVastmind
  • If I can learn to accept the world as it really is
    I am more powerful than I ever dreamed
    Theswingisyellow
  • Most profound? Well, that's easy: Shit happens.
    robotjae
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I don't know
    BhikkhuJayasaraVastmindHamsaka
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "None of this "stuff" is actually real."

Which of course includes the past and the future and the now, and all thoughts of the past and the future and the now, and time, and space, and thought about time and space and other thoughts and other feelings about whatever and etc, etc, etc, etc.

But words can't express it really. No mater what is said about it, even the most eloquent words, can only capture maybe 1/1000th of it. Even that is being generous!

And of course, if none of this "stuff" is real, then there is no need to worry about any of it. All of it can be let go of.

The trick seems to be not picking it up again. :) That's the tricky part. :)
    robotbetaboythemitzy
  • Rather than a thought or moment, the most profound experience occurs in silent prayer where all thoughts fall away like mountains into the sea and time stands still. It is a deeply intimate relationship shared with God, as if like one single person or being but not.

Any thought that distracts one from silent prayer disturbs interior silence.
    betaboylobsterriverflowEvenThird
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    betaboy said:

Shit happens.

I always think that a succinct summary of the First Noble Truth.
    ;)
  • "Ah! I really am an alcoholic!" :D
    BhikkhuJayasaraHamsakaTheswingisyellow
  • betaboy said:

Shit happens.

I always think that a succinct summary of the First Noble Truth.
    ;)
    Lol, I just imagined Buddha with a bottle of beer saying that out loud.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Someone needs to post the video with forest gump inventing the shit happens phrase lol

"you just stepped in a huge pile of shit!... It happens... What, shit? Sometimes.

• Good question. I've always thought it would be awesome if Tesco produced an app that would tell me what reduced to clear items are on each day so I know whether to go over or not.
  • "Isn't it amazing that my legs are exactly the right length to connect me to the ground?"
    Jeffreythemitzy
  • when I was around 30 or so, I suddenly realized one day, out of the blue, like a lightening bolt-
    "I'm a grown up! I don't NEED anyone's permission or approval to be who I am or do what I want to do. I am responsible for all that!"

This was a very Big Deal, very profound, when you come from a close-knit Italian-American family and were taught to hold your parents (and all elders) in high reguard.... I never lost my respect for my elders, but I also realized they don't need to run my life, either.
    HamsakalobsterTheswingisyellow
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited December 2013
    MaryAnne said:

when I was around 30 or so, I suddenly realized one day, out of the blue, like a lightening bolt-
    "I'm a grown up! I don't NEED anyone's permission or approval to be who I am or do what I want to do. I am responsible for all that!"

This was a very Big Deal, very profound, when you come from a close-knit Italian-American family and were taught to hold your parents (and all elders) in high reguard.... I never lost my respect for my elders, but I also realized they don't need to run my life, either.

Out of curiosity (as a Persian) ... is this true of most Italians/Italian-Americans? Like, do they live together, make decisions etc., like Indians/Persians/Arabs do? How about dating/marriage? Do you folks believe in those things?
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Betaboy,
    well I can only answer your question from the experiences of my own and of other Italian-American friends and extended family: Yes, culturally, the "old school" Italian family places a huge emphasis on respect for elders.
    In deference to their life experiences and knowledge, younger members of the family would often be encouraged to seek advice about important life decisions, etc from a parent, or (especially) a grandparent - if one was still around.

For example, I had three children; I would never think of naming any of them without running (our preferred names) past my mother, and one or two of my elder Aunts... Just to see what they thought.
    As a matter of fact, I wanted to name my eldest daughter "Raven" or "Jade"... but my mother and aunt (somewhat humorously- but gently) talked me out of it.
    My mother thought Raven was too "odd" (and it was at the time, which is why I liked it!) ... and they both thought "Jade" sounded like a "fake, pole-dancer name". -said tongue-in-cheek of course! LOL
    So I named her Nina Marie... a very acceptable "Italian" name. I didn't HAVE TO... I could have named her whatever I wanted... but their approval was important to me. I was just 23 at the time, so I hadn't had my rebellious epiphany yet. :)

As it turns out, 20 yrs later, my eldest (a son) named his firstborn "Jade" and I was all for it! LOL

As for dating, etc... my mother wasn't so strict, but my dad- wow! Rigid wasn't even close to describing him. I was very oppressed in their home- as much as I loved them, I had to be Free. I moved out when I was 17- a month or two after High school, and moved in with my Boyfriend (now husband) who was 10 yrs older than me.
    My Dad didn't really speak to me for 2 yrs.

The day we told him we were getting married- he "forgave" me and my husband. ::: SMH::: Old fashioned ideas and values that he could never change? Yeah pretty much. But old age mellowed him quite a bit. Many years later, he was very supportive when my older brother came out as gay... (but my brother waited until he was 50!)
    betaboy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That pretty much everything I read here, and contribute to, is pissing in the wind, and of no consequence whatsoever.
    Hamsakalobster
  • Wow.
    I haven't been here very long, and I've already read LOTS of profound things!
    Another man's treasure, I guess . . .
  • @MaryAnne
    thanks for an enlightening/interesting post ... learnt a lot.

In non-western societies, arranged marriages are common ... is it the same with Italians? Even while dating, non-western societies (for instance, a Persian or Indian family) frown upon you if you bring home a member of another ethnic group. Does anything like this happen, or are your people more liberal? Of course, I only mean generally speaking ... it is impossible to personally know every family but what's the general trend?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have to say, I'm half-Italian and I can't relate to @MaryAnne's post at all.

Having been (and still being) very close to my Italian family (I have 18 Aunts and uncles, 73 cousins and several of their offspring to add to the blend) and I used to spend every summer and an occasional Christmas there, and while I will say my Grandmother was a matriarch, I never had the impression that there was a hierarchy, or order of acceptable and controlled behaviour within the family. At all.
    In fact, when it was learnt by my relatives that far from embracing my R.Catholicism, I had swapped boats and answered a different calling, it earned me both congratulations and benevolent curiosity.....
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    federica said:

That pretty much everything I read here, and contribute to, is pissing in the wind, and of no consequence whatsoever.

I get that, and reluctantly acknowledge its truth.

However, within, I find a capacity to participate with and sometimes enjoy messing around with it all anyway.

The thing I'm learning to do as I write is not take it all so damn seriously, and piss into the wind with great mindfulness and reverence anyway.

I urge you not to try and picture that, for your own sakes.

federicajaelobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2013
    The swing is yellow was my minds answer to a profound question. The swing before my eyes in my child's playground. Here and now the swing is yellow.
    HamsakalobsterEvenThird
  • betaboy said:

@MaryAnne
    thanks for an enlightening/interesting post ... learnt a lot.

In non-western societies, arranged marriages are common ... is it the same with Italians? Even while dating, non-western societies (for instance, a Persian or Indian family) frown upon you if you bring home a member of another ethnic group. Does anything like this happen, or are your people more liberal? Of course, I only mean generally speaking ... it is impossible to personally know every family but what's the general trend?

I think perhaps some may think we're hijacking the thread, @betaboy. Might be better to start another thread if you want to discuss "cultural differences" between members... I think it can be an interesting topic, but probably best to take it to a separate thread.
    Up to you.
  • The swing is yellow was my minds answer to a profound question. The swing before my eyes in my child's playground. Here and now the swing is yellow.

:thumbup:

I had a similar experience with a white and red street light/lamp post, I consider it one of my great 'teachers'. The realization it evoked is, 'everything is an expression of its nature'. Sounds obvious but we of course make the yellow swing, white and red, light and darkness, profound and trite . . .

. . . and now back to the wind . . .
    TheswingisyellowHamsaka
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2013

If I can learn to accept the world as it really is
    I am more powerful than I ever dreamed"

-Truth simply stated! I love it thank you.

edited December 2013
    @lobster: then you should change your moniker to "white and red street light/lamp post"

:D:D:D
    Love your spirit and your written word :):):)
    lobster
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    "I'm insecure; I can be my own worst enemy; I can be a real jerk to those who love me; I feel as if though I'm perpetually trapped in a bubble of anxiety; and, on top of it all, I have major intimacy issues".

This was a couple of days ago and just right after my previous thought was "I'm hungry. What do I want to eat?".
    themitzy
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

@Betaboy, by
    well I can only answer your question from the experiences of my own and of other Italian-American friends and extended family: Yes, culturally, the "old school" Italian family places a huge emphasis on respect for elders.
    In deference to their life experiences and knowledge, younger members of the family would often be encouraged to seek advice about important life decisions, etc from a parent, or (especially) a grandparent - if one was still around.

For example, I had three children; I would never think of naming any of them without running (our preferred names) past my mother, and one or two of my elder Aunts... Just to see what they thought.
    As a matter of fact, I wanted to name my eldest daughter "Raven" or "Jade"... but my mother and aunt (somewhat humorously- but gently) talked me out of it.
    My mother thought Raven was too "odd" (and it was at the time, which is why I liked it!) ... and they both thought "Jade" sounded like a "fake, pole-dancer name". -said tongue-in-cheek of course! LOL
    So I named her Nina Marie... a very acceptable "Italian" name. I didn't HAVE TO... I could have named her whatever I wanted... but their approval was important to me. I was just 23 at the time, so I hadn't had my rebellious epiphany yet. :)

As it turns out, 20 yrs later, my eldest (a son) named his firstborn "Jade" and I was all for it! LOL

As for dating, etc... my mother wasn't so strict, but my dad- wow! Rigid wasn't even close to describing him. I was very oppressed in their home- as much as I loved them, I had to be Free. I moved out when I was 17- a month or two after High school, and moved in with my Boyfriend (now husband) who was 10 yrs older than me.
    My Dad didn't really speak to me for 2 yrs.

The day we told him we were getting married- he "forgave" me and my husband. ::: SMH::: Old fashioned ideas and values that he could never change? Yeah pretty much. But old age mellowed him quite a bit. Many years later, he was very supportive when my older brother came out as gay... (but my brother waited until he was 50!)

I can confirm most of this as a first generation italian American. I have a strong sense of respect for elders and family being most important. Mine and my siblings names were based on previous family members and influenced by my grandparents and families.

As a 35 year old i always say i had a sort of leave it to beaver italian version upbringing, something pretty rare even those days, all thanks to close heritage ties.
    MaryAnne