Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eleven Mental Applications

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Eleven Mental Applications
5. Vipashyanā

The essence of the settled mind itself-
By seeking it you realize what it is.
Because it is a higher truth that's seen
The proper name for it vipashyanā.

Composed by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche at Karma Choling, Vermont, in the summer of 1993.
Translated by Jim Scott.
Jeffrey

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Chaz said:

"The essence of the settled mind itself"

That sounds more like shamata to me.
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited December 2013
    In Khenpo's lineage, Shamatha and Vipassana are taught and practiced hand-in-hand. Shamatha is practiced to settle the mind and supports the awareness of Vipassana.

It's still, all meditation.

That said, You're right it does sound like Shamatha.

I'm going to see his heart son, Ponlop Rinpoche in April. If I can get an audience, maybe I'll ask him abiout this song.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    When i saw this title i first read it as "Elvan mental applications"... The hobbit is in my head haha.

Also good to see a tradition that practices both serenity and insight together.
    Chaz
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Chaz said:

In Khenpo's lineage, Shamatha and Vipassana are taught and practiced hand-in-hand.

Many Theravadans view them as inseparable, though I find it helpful to distinguish them.
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Chaz said:

In Khenpo's lineage, Shamatha and Vipassana are taught and practiced hand-in-hand.

Many Theravadans view them as inseparable, though I find it helpful to distinguish them.
    I'm with you in that it's helpful to distinguish Sahamtha and Vispassana. They are two somewhat different and are used differently.

Shamatha settles the discursive/noisy mind. Vipssana is for awareness and analysis.

Because my mind tends to be noisy and discursive my Vipassana sessions tend to be very short :-(.
    lobster