Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bipolar and ........ spirituality?

Not only bipolar but schizophrenia and medical conditions in general. In Buddhism, unlike many other religions, matter and consciousness are interrelated - neither has come first. Dependent origination.

So when we consider people who have moved away from the norm (a norm which a society mired in greed, cruelty has set), is it really that hard to believe that maybe, just maybe, these people are nearing enlightenment, more so than 'regular' people, 'normal' people?

Maybe, it is the contradiction - between society and enlightenment - that triggers these conditions to begin with. So 'moving away from the norm' could in effect be 'moving toward enlightenment'. So my point is, Such people (even if they appear odd or useless to the world) may just be a step away from becoming Buddhas.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    bipolar clings too much to their experiences and highs. I'm not sure about schizophrenia. Schizophrenia means 'split' from reality. I think it is just a different kind of delusion.

I hear you though. The colors seem brighter in bipolar just like some people report after retreats.

But no these two are not closer to enlightenment necessarily. In fact though there can be some interesting spiritual experiences, even so these two can be a hindrance because they can prevent mental stability. I speak from experience having meditated with extreme mania.

I think it is brain damage or a birth defect, but there is something interesting going on probably with the third eye. That last is the spiritual side and the first is the medical.
    lobster
  • Don't let me say that a person's experience is not sacred. I don't mean that.
    lobster
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

But no these two are not closer to enlightenment necessarily. In fact though there can be some interesting spiritual experiences, even so these two can be a hindrance because they can prevent mental stability. I speak from experience having meditated with extreme mania.

I second this. I am least rational, realistic, equanimous or kind when I'm having an episode. If anything, I feel more mired in delusion than before. Mental stability is a precious gift for me. The idea that I may be at an advantage due to mental instability is a nice thought. If I believed that, it would more likely to feed whatever self delusion I already had, or I would not feel that getting better would be as important.
  • Dear Friends of the deluded, colluded and concluded,

It ain't rocket science.

In 'normal' consciousness we are befuddled, bewildered and besotted (well I am at least) . . . so adding intoxicants, mental delusion, 'illness is near to nirvana' fantasies, hallucinogens, weird mental trances, chocolate bliss out, grumpy 'kick the invisible cat' moods etc is NOT helpful.

Some 'defilements'/hindrances we may be guilty of. (OK, OK I admit, 'My name is C.S. Lobster and I am a Belgian chocoholic'. Happy?)

We need equanimity, peace of mind just to begin . . .

. . . you knew all that right?

Yours in the Dharma Lhobadosa
    EvenThird
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2013
    betaboy said:

Not only bipolar but schizophrenia and medical conditions in general. In Buddhism, unlike many other religions, matter and consciousness are interrelated - neither has come first. Dependent origination.

So when we consider people who have moved away from the norm (a norm which a society mired in greed, cruelty has set), is it really that hard to believe that maybe, just maybe, these people are nearing enlightenment, more so than 'regular' people, 'normal' people?

Maybe, it is the contradiction - between society and enlightenment - that triggers these conditions to begin with. So 'moving away from the norm' could in effect be 'moving toward enlightenment'. So my point is, Such people (even if they appear odd or useless to the world) may just be a step away from becoming Buddhas.

Research shows that Bipolar and probably Schizophrenia are actually genetically linked physical disorders. Life events may trigger them or worsen them, but are not their cause.
    So your example could equally apply to, for example, diabetes.
    Is someone with diabetes nearer or further from enlightenment ?
    Seeing people as being closer to the angels OR to the devils devils does not help them.
    MaryAnneEvenThird