Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Precision and Gentleness

Precision and gentleness are the keys to meditation practice. It is necessary to have a certain amount of precision and discipline to allow the meditation to happen and thrive, but gentleness is essential so that meditation doesn't become yet another task we must strive to accomplish.
~Lama Shenpen Hookham
sovaBarra

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Good advice, I will be sitting on Mr Cushion shortly, with ruthless determination, teeth clenched . . . only joking.
    I shall place him gently in position and sit placidly amongst the charnel grounds of unwanted and wanted arisings. :D
    Jeffreysova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Precision and gentleness are the keys to meditation practice. It is necessary to have a certain amount of precision and discipline to allow the meditation to happen and thrive, but gentleness is essential so that meditation doesn't become yet another task we must strive to accomplish.
    ~Lama Shenpen Hookham

Good stuff. One of my teachers used to describe the correct attitude to meditation as "alert yet relaxed", which seems to give the same feel.
    lobstersovaJeffrey