Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I suddenly realized that I can NEVER be happy

banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I can never feel joy. It is impossible for myself to live in harmony. As long as I am trying to be happy I can never be happy. Desire is an endless pursuit simply because I can never never experience what it is to be happy. It is physically impossible for this person to experience happiness. When happiness is experienced it is not I who is receiving the experience . When Joy is experienced I like to label it and associate it with myself. But I will never be happy as long as I try to live with myself.

"This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass
away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. During the days
when you ate what is dead, you made it come alive. When you are in the
light, what will you do? on the day when you were one, you became two. But
when you become two, what will you do?"

cazInvincible_summer

Comments

• You don't have to be happy. Just be at peace - like a calm sea.
    MaryAnneJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    @heyimacrab... not even moments? Do you mean 'you' actually are never happy as a person or do you think you should not be happy due to your practise/religion?

I'm interested from a beginners point of view.
  • You guys have misunderstood the OP. The op is NOT saying he is unhappy ... he is emphasizing that as long as there is an "I" (as in "I want to be happy, I want this, I want that"), there will never be happiness.
    banned_crabstavros388Invincible_summer
  • jaejae Veteran
    @betaboy... yes you are right I did misunderstand, thanks for pointing that out ...

however don't you think it depends on what makes you happy?... if its simple things, walking in the wind and admiring the beauty of nature please tell me there is no harm in that ?

Happiness comes in lots of forms
  • jaejae Veteran
    without wishing to offend any of you practising passionate Buddhists out there from a beginners point of view this kind of approach is bleak and discouraging.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    jae said:

without wishing to offend any of you practising passionate Buddhists out there from a beginners point of view this kind of approach is bleak and discouraging.

I agree that it does SEEM bleak and discouraging when people choose to see it that way. But please don't assume that most Buddhists believe in this particular way, because (from my experiences and in speaking to others) they don't.

And then there are those (few?) who get great pleasure and a sense of self-satisfaction from wallowing in their own self-induced 'suffering'... the type of people who no matter what- always choose to see the negative side of things and insist that is what life is "really all about". I feel sorry for them, but I will never agree.

Bleakness and discouragement are probably the last things the Buddha had on his mind when trying to illuminate the path to end 'suffering'. At least that's how I choose to see things- from the sunny side. :)
    vinlynjaeDaftChris
  • jae said:

read it again with these definitions in mind

Ego - I

The origin of the word ego comes from latin root. When sombody says the word ego in latin they are acually saying "I".

Person- In ancient Rome, the word "persona" (Latin) (Greek) originally referred to the masks worn by actors on stage. The various masks represented the various "personae" in the stage play

Tell me if you understand after reading it this way, if you do not understand than tell me what is misunderstood.
    MaryAnne said:

jae said:

I agree that it does SEEM bleak and discouraging when people choose to see it that way. But please don't assume that most Buddhists believe in this particular way, because (from my experiences and in speaking to others) they don't.

And then there are those (few?) who get great pleasure and a sense of self-satisfaction from wallowing in their own self-induced 'suffering'... the type of people who no matter what- always choose to see the negative side of things and insist that is what life is "really all about". I feel sorry for them, but I will never agree.

Bleakness and discouragement are probably the last things the Buddha had on his mind when trying to illuminate the path to end 'suffering'. At least that's how I choose to see things- from the sunny side. :)
    I stay away from the path you wish to believe in. Simply because that path is based on "believing you are happy" its like forcing yourself to be happy with what you have.
  • jae said:

@betaboy... yes you are right I did misunderstand, thanks for pointing that out ...

however don't you think it depends on what makes you happy?... if its simple things, walking in the wind and admiring the beauty of nature please tell me there is no harm in that ?

Happiness comes in lots of forms

I See the misunderstanding. By associating your happiness with "forms" you are attached to these forms. Instead of feeling happiness from within you are depending on forms to force your happiness. Now there is nothing wrong with enjoying these forms but understand that the form itself is not what makes you feel happy. Feeling happy is actually what makes these forms enjoyable. Do you still enjoy these forms if you are in a sad mood? or do they start to feel forced and hollow?

When you are feeling unhappy do you often try and acquire these forms to make yourself feel better? But even when you obtain these forms you realize that "this is not actually what I wanted ".

You than obsess with trying to acquire these forms to push the unhappiness under a rug and hope it just goes away.
    JeffreylobsterInvincible_summer
  • jaejae Veteran
    @heyimacrab ...thanks for the reply, I did read it again and I understand what you are getting at re holding on but I disagree with you in a kind and loving way ...

I (my ego/persona/soul/apreciative part of my brain) think in those moments... wow what a beautiful sunset, or what a cheeky smile or even simply the way the washing smells when I'm hanging it on the line

I allow myself to be totally engulfed by those moments, soaking them in as I know they are only 'moments' I've known this for years its not just something thats dawned on me whilst researching a new religion.

There are times in my life where I agree with you clutching for example to alcohol would be one and that was definately holding on and you are correct...it did not make me happy....vanity another (I tried botox once what a bloody waste of money ...I ended up looking like a 'cling on' for three months)...

But my dearest imacrab.... I do not believe it is wrong to enjoy life when you can ...I can happily agreed to disagree...and if it was at all possible i would love to be able to in some small way show you what I feel but alas I am a mere human.

When I feel down and miserable I have two choices to wallow and hate my life or give myself a kick up the proverbial and do something that I know will make me happy....as I have managed low mood for quite a number of year's maybe ive just had to learn how to live with it.

And yes you are right sometimes in the low mood time, just after I've given myself a talking to I could quite happily kick the head off a dafodil but what good would that do eh?

If you ever come to my part of the world ill take you out (I mean that)

Hey we could even boot a few begonias if it makes you feel better (only want to make you smile with that last sentence)

I would like to ask you a question...what makes you happy?
    Have a pleasant evening.
    Daiva
  • The wish in your heart is reliable. That what you wish for is like grasping and all you get is air.
    Zenshin
  • jaejae Veteran
    Fresh beautiful life sustaining air....wonderful
    MaryAnne
  • jaejae Veteran
    @jeffrey what is the wish in your heart ?
  • @Jae, everyone is different. The longing is reliable but the objects one longs for are conditional. The wish in your heart can go very deep. For example you want money so that you don't have to worry. You don't want to worry so that you will feel better. You want to feel better so that you have joy. You want to have joy because....

With a lot of people their innermost wish is for the happiness of themselves and all beings.

What could be more reliable than that?
  • jae said:

@heyimacrab ...thanks for the reply, I did read it again and I understand what you are getting at re holding on but I disagree with you in a kind and loving way ...

I (my ego/persona/soul/apreciative part of my brain) think in those moments... wow what a beautiful sunset, or what a cheeky smile or even simply the way the washing smells when I'm hanging it on the line

I allow myself to be totally engulfed by those moments, soaking them in as I know they are only 'moments' I've known this for years its not just something thats dawned on me whilst researching a new religion.

There are times in my life where I agree with you clutching for example to alcohol would be one and that was definately holding on and you are correct...it did not make me happy....vanity another (I tried botox once what a bloody waste of money ...I ended up looking like a 'cling on' for three months)...

But my dearest imacrab.... I do not believe it is wrong to enjoy life when you can ...I can happily agreed to disagree...and if it was at all possible i would love to be able to in some small way show you what I feel but alas I am a mere human.

When I feel down and miserable I have two choices to wallow and hate my life or give myself a kick up the proverbial and do something that I know will make me happy....as I have managed low mood for quite a number of year's maybe ive just had to learn how to live with it.

And yes you are right sometimes in the low mood time, just after I've given myself a talking to I could quite happily kick the head off a dafodil but what good would that do eh?

If you ever come to my part of the world ill take you out (I mean that)

Hey we could even boot a few begonias if it makes you feel better (only want to make you smile with that last sentence)

I would like to ask you a question...what makes you happy?
    Have a pleasant evening.

I never said you shouldnt enjoy things. My point is that when "I" enjoy something it is not actually me. That is why I put up the Jesus quote.

You still do not understand what the poem symbolizes. In a sense you are two at the moment. When happiness is experienced it is not "I" who experienced it.

• jaejae Veteran
    I agree I would like happiness for everyone including me...what do you think about being happy that you are alive now, in this moment not the future not the past... just being...you and I are sentinent 'beings'
    EvenThird
  • jaejae Veteran
    @heyimacrab.....you are right I do not understand you ...I would like to though...do you mean the 'I' wont be happy until it is a 'We' ?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    jae said:

Beyond the individual self is happiness that knows no opposition.

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I do not believe it is wrong to enjoy life when you can ...I can happily agreed to disagree...and if it was at all possible i would love to be able to in some small way show you what I feel but alas I am a mere human.
    Amen sista. I'm almost positive that's what we're doing here in the first place :) "Enjoy" is the perfect word, entymologically, for what we do and what we are.

(((((There was a brown spider about the size of a dime (legs spread out dime sized) and he'd just descended from the ceiling and was trying to build a web between the laptop screen and my water bottle. Unfortunately I just lost track of him which means he could be ON ME . . . bad idea, my reflexes are abysmally self-preserving . . . hopefully he'll show up and I'll put him in the bathroom . . .)))))

I suspect the 'ascetic' in the Buddha (he was an ascetic monk for six years prior to his awakening) heavily influenced his message to the rest of us. I also suspect withOUT the asceticism, the message would not have the depth and richness it has. But in the meantime, the bias against 'enjoying your senses' can be held lightly, rather than used as a crowbar to bang your head when you find yourself floating away in the sweet smell of sheets blown fresh by the breeze.

The problem comes in when a human has no awareness of their being outside of their own ego and it's pathetically limited, repetitive ruminations. If a person is trapped in there long enough, the simple sweetnesses of life stop registering on the radar, and since we seek sweetness, we seek heavier, more coarse and blatant sources and end up stuck deeper than ever in sensuality. It's like we have to clean off the antennae by a bit of modern asceticism, let the antennae reset to their defaults, and then the simple sweetnesses will be available and PLENTY satisfying.

We moderns have NO IDEA of the ascetic practices the Buddha and his mates put themselves through! We'd all run home squealing to our iPhones after ten minutes of it I suspect. We don't have to detest our senses our their natural sensuality, but if we are mired too deeply within them, and lose sight of seeking anything but more and more of them, a period of ascetic dismissal is probably a good thing.

You and I, when we used alcohol, that is a perfect example of seeking coarser and more blatant sensuality. We drank to 'feel' better, snuffing out other thoughts that made us feel bad. There is great sensuality in being drunk or buzzed. Inhibitions? Gone. We went ascetic on alcohol, and gave it up. That was (just part) our ascetic 'letting go' of the sensuality that we craved. At least that's how I put it together for now.

Asceticism, like I said, is something to wield thoughtfully and deliberately, even specifically. I don't believe it does us any good at all to use asceticism to deny any and all sense pleasures.

Gassho :)
    Jeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    @ourself can you elaborate please...sorry guys I must have been here to test your patience!!!! :eek:
  • jaejae Veteran
    Beyond the individual self....do you mean put all your energy into makingothers happy?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @jae;

Us and "them" is a disease because there is no "them", only more of us. Separation is illusion so opposites can only exist conceptually.

Beyond joy and suffering is joy.

Up and down being opposites depend on a point of reference so if we add another perspective, up and down are relative and complimentary terms.

In the spectrum of apples, a macintosh may be the opposite of a delicious but there is no opposite for apple except no-apple however, the potential for apples has always been.

I don't think I helped.
    jaeJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Hamsaka....great explanation thank you again!

Maybe I am trying hard to see the small moments of beauty and embrace happiness as I am frightened of falling back to what I could so easily become once again...to deny myself these small pleasures would leave me a feeling empty...maybe im just not ready yet...thanks again you have a lovely heart
    edited December 2013
    jae said:

Beyond the individual self....do you mean put all your energy into makingothers happy?

I'd change making others happy to having their well being in mind but sure... Seems like the only logical course of action to me.

Jeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    Agreed but how can you make others happy if you are not?
    By choosing to be happy, of course.

Even the simple act of smiling has a way of being contagious.
    Vastmind
  • jaejae Veteran
    I'll try again....!

• jaejae Veteran
    Bugga!....nevermind.....happy by Pharrell Williams...
  • edited December 2013
    My wife was just complaining this morning that she didn't feel the Christmas spirit this year. I know what this is like. Before I found Buddhism, I used to get really down at this time of year because I didn't have the same feelings about it as I did when I was a kid. I could remember what that used to feel like and I mourned losing it. All of the adult realities of consumerism, rushing about, etc. bothered me and didn't lead to the same happiness as it did then.
    Since I've found Buddhism, I have come to realize that those feelings I had as a child were fantastic and magical and they should be appreciated as such. Being attached to them and grasping for their return is dhukka. Let it go, don't set yourself up for failure and be content with the joy that every day lived can bring.
    Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good life.
    lobsterbanned_crabVastmind
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    jae said:

Agreed but how can you make others happy if you are not?

You can't make others happy. You'd have to be able to reach inside their minds and mess around with and change their thoughts in order to 'make them happy'.

But you CAN be, in yourself, of such an accepting, nonjudgmental and open nature that people will feel SAFE and COMFORTABLE around you. They will instinctively respond to your openness with their own, which on it's own, will 'make' them happy.

If you are with a person, watch them closely, listen to them carefully, and ponder what they are saying and/or doing. This will communicate to them you believe they are important and worth spending your energy paying attention to. This is a huge gift to give to someone, especially a child or your partner.

When another person experiences a good thing in their life, rejoice with them FOR them, be very very happy for them. Imagine how relieved or glad or blessed they must feel and ENJOY that.

When you meditate, use some of the meditation time to think upon others with unconditional friendliness and respect. It won't, like, 'send' them little packets of goodies, but it will enlarge your capacity for unconditional friendliness and compassion for others.

As for "we are all one" that's not hard to accept when it's clear to you that the feelings and thoughts of other people are pretty much the same ones that happen in your head, barring different life circumstances etc. The 'stew' of the mind is the same recipe across the board, plus or minus spice or veggie preferences.

Gassho :)

jaeJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Hamsaka....going back I undersrand your spider fear ..that made me laugh....I've got a tiny shrew running around my living room floor...hes cute....
  • Joy independent of form . . . after all form is empty and emptiness is joy . . .

In other words, happiness independent of all the required dependencies. What can we enjoy in the moment? Does it have to be Xmas or everyday a celebration of 'ordinary' experiences.

Look for 'I' in your practice. Nothing to find. Look for joy in your misery, still clinging or letting go . . . ?

Joy to the world. Peace of Earth . . . and on . . . :clap:

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

jaeJeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • Skillful thoughts and actions lead to happiness (for me and others), and unskillful ones lead to suffering. I think it makes sense to aim for skillful living, instead of pursuing personal happiness or the happiness of other people, because it's more objective and less confusing. Of course, when I think about what it means to live skillfully, I'm confronted with my selfish behavior, so it's inevitable that I will think about the motivations behind what i do (am I doing this for me, for them, or both), and the results of my actions (for me and for others). Hopefully, the result of this thinking is to act more skillfully.
    jaeTheswingisyellow
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Hamsaka and @ourself.....I digressed in the last thread as it felt like my head was going to pop trying to understand everyones posts! I've just read it all back ...do you think I come across as self centred ?
    @jae;

Not at all.
  • I don't think so, either, @jae :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @jae you sound like a great person. you are welcoming of others and very pleasant to hear from.
    lobsterHamsaka
  • jaejae Veteran
    @MaryAnne @jeffrey @ourself....thanks ...I asked that as I dont seem to be getting the 'l' thing and I know I'm very wrapped up in me at the moment (in a trying to sort my life out kind of way) I'm a people person and I understand the pleasure of enjoying making others happy....

Ooo I think the light has just come on....

I like the feeling I get when I do something that makes people happy...but is that really enjoying thier happiness or my own?...

I will try a be aware of this today....

• There's nothing wrong with enjoying. We learn to let go so that we enjoy more rather than less.
  • jae said:

@Hamsaka and @ourself.....I digressed in the last thread as it felt like my head was going to pop trying to understand everyones posts! I've just read it all back ...do you think I come across as self centred ?

yes
    lobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    @heyimacrab.. thank you mettha
    lobsterEvenThird
  • Wish I was centered on a 'Self' . . .
    . . . oh well . . . will have to settle for no 'real' self worth mentioning . . . :o
  • Perfect synchronicity. Buddhism Connect exactly covers your question @heyimacrab
    Is Yearning without Grasping Possible?
    Lama Shenpen Hookham
    Summary: Distinguishing yearning from grasping; yearning and longing as expressions of Bodhichitta.

A student writes:

"Is yearning the same as grasping?"

Lama Shenpen:

That is a very important question because the two things have to be very carefully distinguished.

When you look into your heart and really feel it, notice really how it is.

It is always longing, moving, reaching out for happiness for oneself and others. There is always that alertness to suffering and the wish to remove it, that sense of something not right or not quite true, that needs clarifying and making right somehow.

There is a sense that beauty could be in everything and it isn’t, and so somehow has to be sought. That yearning for peace, freedom and truth is there all the time.

What happens is that we do not link into this yearning properly. We don’t turn towards it and use it to home in on the truth.

Instead we feel pushed by it. We feel pushed into finding and grasping some truth that we can then somehow cling onto, to somehow suppress the discomfort of the open ended longing. It is as if we are trying to silence the longing by stuffing it with things that we think will relieve it.

Sometimes this works for a while but there is always an uneasy feeling that our solution has not really done the job.

We constantly try to persuade ourselves that we are happy, that we have found the answer and so on, but in the end of course it all falls apart.

We are left with the simple longing. It is our compassion, our Bodhicitta. It will never be free from its own nature. This longing is our compassion and it is also our joy and love of truth.

So the grasping is the trying to make truth our own, to have it, to make it our answer instead of simply being with the longing, making our peace with the longing.

Nevertheless, the grasping is an almost automatic reaction to the yearning and longing. So it is easy to think that the grasping is itself an expression of the yearning and that yearning without grasping is not possible.

It is possible however. Indeed, it is essential that we distinguish the two and learn to fully open into the yearning without sliding into the grasping.

This is a subtle point and worth coming back to again and again.

Lama Shenpen Hookham.
  • I don't think everything needs to be so complicated.
    I've been sitting on my sofa for the last three weeks with a broken leg (and post-op with screws holding it all together) and in quite a bit of pain - and from time to time, several times a day, I've said to myself out loud "I am happy."
    I have plenty I could complain about - all the (financial, physical, relationship, emotional, etc) complications this broken leg has created for my life.
    What it boils down for me, is the 8-fold path. When I see/deal with everything "as it is" and don't form any types of attachments, I am good. I am actually happy - which is most of the time, even with this broken leg. My physical suffering is just another opportunity for personal spiritual growth. I don't necessarily seek happiness, it just happens as I accept the opportunities dukkha provides.
    I essentially make the choice - whether it is me, myself or I or my neutral mind doing so, it doesn't matter. I don't have to make things so complicated.
    lobsterHamsakaMaryAnne
  • Daiva said:

I don't think everything needs to be so complicated.
    I've been sitting on my sofa for the last three weeks with a broken leg (and post-op with screws holding it all together) and in quite a bit of pain - and from time to time, several times a day, I've said to myself out loud "I am happy."
    I have plenty I could complain about - all the (financial, physical, relationship, emotional, etc) complications this broken leg has created for my life.
    What it boils down for me, is the 8-fold path. When I see/deal with everything "as it is" and don't form any types of attachments, I am good. I am actually happy - which is most of the time, even with this broken leg. My physical suffering is just another opportunity for personal spiritual growth. I don't necessarily seek happiness, it just happens as I accept the opportunities dukkha provides.
    I essentially make the choice - whether it is me, myself or I or my neutral mind doing so, it doesn't matter. I don't have to make things so complicated.

You misinterpreted my whole post.
  • @heyimacrab I don't think so. Am just saying sometimes we don't need to over complicate stuff. Perhaps you misinterpreted my over-simplification?
    MaryAnne
  • Daiva said:

I don't think everything needs to be so complicated.

You misinterpreted my whole post.
    If it is not you who is feeling happy, who is it?
    Is it you who is feeling a lack of happiness?

I'm feeling a little cranky because the Thais won't stop letting off their cherry bombs.
    It's Christmas for crying out loud. Why all the explosives?
    At least I think it's me who is feeling cranky. Maybe not.
    Daiva
  • Circular Cartesian debates don't offer a solution - just a method to sir the pot - not the path if you are truly and sincerely seeking an answer.

“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.” ~ Dalai Lama Zopa Rinpoche
    MaryAnneJeffreyWonderingSeeker