Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Preliminary Practices - vajrasattva and purifying

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
Ho ho ho ! hi :)

Would someone be so kind as to teach me about the preliminaries in vajrayana? (ngöm-dro i believe)

Mainly I would like to really engage in these as to make eventual Mahamudra practice of most value, and I was hoping someone could give me a good rundown. What is the quality of mind or the best heart when doing things like prostrations?

And what should I be cultivating when doing Vajrasattva mantras to purify speech? If you believe it would be best for me to ask qualified mentor I can do that as well when I return to the US in a few days (in the UK ^^)

I ask because I'd like to know what greater contributions one can bring to purification practice throughout daily tasks of everyday life.

Thanks much for your contributions and may your day be sweet and inspired.

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    sova said:

Ho ho ho ! hi :)

Would someone be so kind as to teach me about the preliminaries in vajrayana? (ngöm-dro i believe)

Mainly I would like to really engage in these as to make eventual Mahamudra practice of most value, and I was hoping someone could give me a good rundown.

The best "rundown" that can be given about Ngondro is to find a teacher who is empowered to and willing to guide you through the practice. You should not try to perform the practice outside of the student/guru relationship.

I forum like this is not the place for that.
    If you believe it would be best for me to ask qualified mentor I can do that as well when I return to the US in a few days (in the UK ^^)
    I really believe that to be your best course.

FYI: I practice Ngondro in the Kagyu (Mahamudra) lineage.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Thanks @chaz for your advisement. I shall heed your words :)
    edited December 2013
    sova said:

Thanks @chaz for your advisement. I shall heed your words :)

I'm glad you feel that way.

Please don't think I'm dissing you or trying to silence discussion, but Ngondro is the introduction to esoteric practice and, of course can't be undertaken without permission and proper guidance. You won't find either, here. Even in the Ngondro practice community it isn't discussed much. We just do the practice.

When you get back to the states start looking for a suitable guru. If you need some help there, let me know and I'll try to help.

Another thing is that it's doubtfull that, even if you find a suitable teacher, you'll be able to begin Ngondro anytime soon. My experience is that the student must be formally accepted by the teacher as a student. You'll have to ask. Then you'll have to demonstrate proficiency and stability in both study and practice. Then you have to ask to begin Ngondro practice. If that is acceptable you'll be given a reading trasmission of the practice, authorization to obtain your own liturgy, basic instruction about the first stage (in this case it's refuge/prostrations), and permission to begin. Depending on how far along you already are with study & practice, this could take more than a year. I studied and practiced with my Guru's guidance fore more han 6 years before I asked.

So cultivate patience.

meanwhile .....

You can still do Vajrasattva practice. There's a short sadhana available that can be practiced without the need for permission/transmission. It's fairly straightforward and takes about 20 mintes to perform. It's a lovely practice. It includes a recited liturgy and mantra recitation.

Sounds like you're already doing it - what liturgy are you using, or are you simply reciting the mantra (long or short?)?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Thanks @Chaz - that's put me right off Ngondro :p

I think I'll just practice mindfulness instead
    Chaz
    edited December 2013
    anataman said:

I think I'll just practice mindfulness instead

Excellent idea!
    @chaz thank you very much for clarifying this for me. It makes sense that the process of establishing a relationship (of openness and trust) with a teacher takes time.

The 100-syllable mantra I found here on Rigpa Wiki

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Hundred_syllable_mantra

sova said:

@chaz thank you very much for clarifying this for me. It makes sense that the process of establishing a relationship (of openness and trust) with a teacher takes time.

The 100-syllable mantra I found here on Rigpa Wiki

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Hundred_syllable_mantra

cool!

check this out:

http://www.prayer4peace.net/practice.html

^^ This has some excellent resources for Vajrasattva practice.

here's a link to the liturgy:

http://www.prayer4peace.net/media/Basic_VS_Liturgy.pdf

It's an awesome short practice. It'll also give you a feel for what Ngondro practice is like.

Doing just the 100 syllable mantra is great and you can do that any time, but practicing this liturgy may offer some answers to your question about what to cultivate.

You can also do the short mantra if you wish:

OM VAJRASATTVA HUM
    Arigatou gozaimas! thank you very much @chaz