Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it all about survival, then?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited December 2013 in General Banter
A friend of mine is an evo psych. nut - he believes that everything has a reason in natural selection. For instance, we find sex joyful (well, most of us do, lol), but that's only because we need it for reproduction. We love sweet things cuz the body needs energy from sugar - again survival.

Point is, all the things we like are useful for survival purposes, essentially. But we make a big deal out of them, glorify them - the lust for another body, we call it love (when the truth is, we simply need the other to propagate our species), faith in God/religion is also born of a desire to survive death, art for the sake of leaving a name/memory (which is also a kind of survival).

In other words, everything seems to be rooted in the desire for survival. If you see things in this light, does it change everything you've so far believed about life, love, art, religion, and so on? Does it disturb you or motivate you?
Invincible_summerlobsterCinorjerTheswingisyellowVastmind

Comments

• I think there are so many idiosyncracies in people that it is hard to say they are all based on survival.

IIRC buddhism talked about another kind of cause and effect than karma. Karma has to do with intentions. There are other types such as 'genetic'. Even in Buddhas time they knew that you can breed animals.

So I think karma and enlightnement are a different type of thing than genetic.

Why do we like music? Ask your friend that..
    Invincible_summerlobsterStraight_Man
  • Your friend can survive on that? Bravo.

and now back to the enlightenment . . .
  • Does it disturb me or motivate me? Neither. Life for me is more than just about simple survival. Also, evolution doesn't create the perfect organism because there is no such thing. Evolution cobbles together species from what's available into something "good enough" to survive the existing environment. Useless and even self-destructive traits can get carried along with the traits that allow us to survive.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    People drive race cars at 150 mph for survival? People climb Mt Everest for survival? Given the number of people that died doing those things, seems like the opposite of survival!
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2013
    seeker242 said:

People drive race cars at 150 mph for survival? People climb Mt Everest for survival? Given the number of people that died doing those things, seems like the opposite of survival!

Yet a certain amount of risk taking behavior by some people helps our survival as a species, doesn't it?

"Gog tried to climb over the mountain. Told Gog it might be too dangerous and he prove it for rest of us. Rest of us stay off mountain, and name mountain after Gog in tribute."
  • I think I'd be inclined to put it the other way around.

To paraphrase -- and perhaps oversimplify -- you're saying that whether I find something joyful depends on whether it is useful for survival, and you gave the examples of sex and sugar. Good examples by the way, which biologists call "feeding/breeding."

But couldn't it also be viewed the other way? My survival depends on what I find joyful, and therefore spend time doing; rather than what I find joyful being dependent on whether it is needed for survival. For example, an ancient primitive human child who found joy in playing with snakes probably experienced a diminished likelihood of survival.

I think this applies on a broader scale, too. If agriculture is a trait within a tribe, then survival is enhanced. Not all members of the tribe need the trait. Survival of the tribe only needs there to be enough members that agriculture benefits the tribe. I am a musician and songwriter. I assure you that mankind derives no benefit from my creations. But mankind certainly derives great benefit from the trait of creativity being present among the "tribe."
    MaryAnneVastmind
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    To the OP: good post! Of course all these past results and conditions have brought us to this point. In the end I think we are just higher thinking animals. I think understanding and realizing that is both truthful and important: we can drop such questioning as "why does this happen to me" or " what is the meaning or purpose in life" and focus on right now, how we create our world through our actions, words and thought. We get to be responsible! Why do things happen to a dog? What is the meaning of a dogs life?
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    betaboy said:

A friend of mine is an evo psych. nut - he believes that everything has a reason in natural selection. For instance, we find sex joyful (well, most of us do, lol), but that's only because we need it for reproduction. We love sweet things cuz the body needs energy from sugar - again survival.

Point is, all the things we like are useful for survival purposes, essentially. But we make a big deal out of them, glorify them - the lust for another body, we call it love (when the truth is, we simply need the other to propagate our species), faith in God/religion is also born of a desire to survive death, art for the sake of leaving a name/memory (which is also a kind of survival).

In other words, everything seems to be rooted in the desire for survival. If you see things in this light, does it change everything you've so far believed about life, love, art, religion, and so on? Does it disturb you or motivate you?

Nahhhh. Your little buddy ain't seen nothin' yet :)

The fact he is an 'evo nut' implies he is quite excited and enthusiastic about collapsing every single thing down into a biological, reproductive imperative.

So what would he call his enthusiasm about insisting that this is all there is? How does his philosophical bent fit in with natural selection?

BTW, natural selection is only ONE way evolution goes forth.

He sounds very young and idealistic, IMO. I remember getting ideas like that, where I thought I had 'found the reason for everything' :)

Gassho :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    In general I agree with your friends take. Mammals love and care for one another as a means to ensure the survival of the pack. Though I continue to question whether there isn't something else at work. There are occasional cases of acts that seem completely selfless, that don't help the genes of the individual or a loved one, a completely selfless act for a stranger. Here are just a couple examples.

One dog saves another on a highway.

Wesley Autrey holds man having a seizure down while an oncoming subway train rolls over them.
    riverflowjae
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    It disturbs me enough that it motivates me. :D
    riverflow
  • Is it all about survival, then?
    :)
    Is Buddhism all about transcending the survival instincts?
    VastmindEvenThirdriverflow
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    lobster said:

Is it all about survival, then?
    :)
    Is Buddhism all about transcending the survival instincts?

Probably. Sure does seem that way, to me.

• Commence download of the dharmakaya.....

error 430285 universe is searching for an answer to the problem
    personriverflowTheswingisyellow