Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samantha, our cat, is dead.

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited December 2006 in General Banter
Our black tabby cat, Samantha, who is 19, is dying. I found her when I woke up at 3:30am. She was in the kitchen throwing up pitifully, staggering and falling down. I picked her up in a towel, went to wake my parents and then brought her into my room and kept her on my bed. She tried to get up a few times and only fell back down on her side. She reached her paws out to me a few times and when I took her paw it curled around my finger. Her breaths were coming short, fast and shallow and I tried to comfort her as much as I could. My parents waited around for a while, said their good byes and they went back to their beds while I kept Sammy with me. I cried and cried and couldn't stop for a little while but eventually I'd cried myself out and I'm okay now. Samantha's on the the chest at the foot of my bed in a towel and a blanket between two pillows. If she's still breathing I can't tell. She made some noises which I think were her last gasps for breath and I think she may be gone now.

She was our oldest cat, the one we got after our very first cat, Tom, died. When my dad went to get another cat all her brothers and sisters in the litter ran away and she was the only one that stayed. So my dad chose her. A little while after we got her, another cat, a male, came to house out of nowhere and kept slamming his body against the door until we let him in. We named him Malcolm and he and Sammy became best friends from then on. They slept in each other's arms, cleaned each other and were generally inseparable until Malcolm died a few years ago. Sammy held on and she had the strongest will of any cay I've ever met. When she wanted cuddles she'd bug you and bug you until you gave her cuddles. When my dad was recuperating from the heart failure she used to climb up onto his chest, lay down over his heart and purr and purr. My dad called her Nurse Betty, giving him purr therapy. She took such good care of him.

I've just checked on her and she's gone. Our sweet wee Sammy. Her wee body's already stiff. We'll bury her next to Malcolm, in the garden.

Love,
Boo

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    If there is one thing that makes me want to believe in survival after death, it is the hope that I shall meet all the dear furry friends with whom I have shared this part of the adventure. My dream of a further life is a small lodge-keeper's cottage, with a little vegetable patch and flower garden, and all the dogs and cats (particularly all the Siamese that I bred) that I have known. We would greet the newcomers and direct them to the Pearly Gates after giving them a cup of tea and a piece of seed cake.

What a blessing that Samantha shared so much of her long life with you and was able to die in the warmth of your love, Brigid. May your tears refresh you and heal your wounded heart.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Oh, Simon. How beautiful. Thank you so much. I'll have to show my parents your post because it will warm their hearts so much to read your words and feel the loving kindness behind them. I love you dearly, Simon.

Everyone's pretty good and handling it well. She was so old we'd been preparing ourselves. I laid her out in the parlour for the cats to see after they finished breakfast. They all acknowledged her but none of them are upset in the least. Pinky and Torcal went right up to her and had a sniff then walked away. Tom and Daisy just looked at her as they were walking by. Or at the body, I should say. Because Sammy's gone. There's just a stiff body left. We'll keep it in the freezer until my nephew Michael can come by and dig a grave next to Malcolm's and then we'll do our little burying ceremony and say good bye again. Bless her sweet heart. Now we only have four cats. I wonder who's going to show up next? Pinky came after Finn died and Torcal came after Malcolm died. The space won't be vacant for long, I shouldn't think. I'm so grateful we can shelter them and feed them and love them. There are so many, all alone in the world. I hope another one shows up soon. I'll have to start saving some money in case one shows up that hasn't been fixed or had any shots. Bless their wee hearts. I love them so.
    edited November 2006
    Although my house is now too expensive for me to stay for long now, I am reluctant to move because so many small house-mates are buried in the garden. And not just a single generation, either! My wife's family lived here from 1964 and their dogs, including the last pair, Laddie and Lassie, lie under various specimen plants. Our own Pippin Dog, Bagpuss Cat, Ginger Cat, Silky and Runner ................ and birds, mice, even rats, are part of the fertility. But it goes back even further:

when we were digging a plum tree out, to make a wild-life pond, we came across the bones of a horse. They had belonged to a beloved pony which had died in the 1930s. She was buried there and the plum tree planted. Her bones now rest in a small 'barrow' that I built. It also houses a small artificial waterfall which aerates the pond in which we have fish, toads, frogs, water-boatmen, and a problem with herons.

Brigid, do you know a wonderful 'grace' associated with Brigid of Kildare?
    I should welcome the poor to my feast,
    For they are God's children.
    I should welcome the sick to my feast,
    For they are God's joy.
    Let the poor sit with Jesus at the highest place,
    And the sick dance with the angels.
    God bless the poor,
    God bless the sick,
    And bless our human race.
    God bless our food,
    God bless our drink,
    All homes, O God, embrace. Amen
  • edited November 2006
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Boo.

I love all animals, but cats have a special place in my heart. I have two of them myself... or rather... they have me.

Know that you have given Sammy all the love she could ever have wished for.

x Love
  • edited November 2006
    Oh, Brigid, my heart goes out to you! We have three cats of our own, two of which are strays that we took in, and I can well imagine, though perhaps not fully, how much I shall miss them. As seems to be so often the case, any words of which I could think would seem paltry indeed, so I hope you don't mind if I post this poem by Thich Nhat Hanh. It was inspired by the Anguttara Nikaya and is meant to comfort someone who is about to die, but I think it still has resonance here.

These eyes are not me.
    I am not limited by these eyes.
    I am life without boundaries.
    I have never been born
    and I have never died.
    Look at the ocean and the sky filled with stars,
    manifestations from my wondrous true mind.
    Since before time, I have been free.
    Birth and death are only doors through which we pass,
    sacred thresholds on our journey.
    Birth and death are a game of hide-and-seek.
    So smile to me,
    laugh with me,
    hold my hand.
    Let us say good-bye,
    say good-bye, to meet again soon.

We meet today.
    We will meet again tomorrow.
    We will meet at the source. Every moment.
    We meet each other in all forms of life.

These ears are not me...
    These eyes are not me...
    This nose is not me...
    This tongue is not me...
    This body is not me...
    This mind is not me...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Thank you all so much. I appreciate your loving kindness greatly.

Simon,

I didn't know that particular grace. How wonderful! I think that would be the perfect thing to say before my meals now. Thank you so much! It's truly lovely and expresses what I feel so perfectly.

We also have to leave our house and all the cats that are buried here because it's just too expensive. It's also too much for us to keep up anyway, but we'll be sad to leave these graves behind. We have five cats buried here. I'll bet if we dug up more of the land we'd find a few horses as well, since it was they who cleared this land and turned it into a farm 150 years ago. My mother painted the names of the cats on stones and we used those are the grave markers. I think I'll suggest to my parents that we take those stone when we go and put up a memorial of some kind to them at the new house.

Olivia,

Thank you so much for you kindness. I'm so glad you are owned by two cats! I'll bet they love you very, very much, just like you love them.

Rambling,

How beautiful! Thank you so much for posting that beautiful poem by Thay. I love him dearly and just bringing him to mind has given me great comfort this morning and his poem just tops it off. I'll read it to my parents because I know it will give them great comfort as well. And I'm very glad you're owned by three cats, as well! lol!
  • edited November 2006
    Brigid, i'm sorry to hear of your loss. I used to have a cat several years ago, but she disappeared one day, and I fear that something bad may have happened to her. We now have a dog (a pug) and i'm afraid that she might be going deaf, which is hard for me to deal with since I can remember nights where I stayed up almost all night talking to her, since I don't have friends that I can call 3 in the morning to talk to. She stayed there with me, even bringing me her toy when I started crying some. I'm sure your cat lived a great life with you, and I think a memorial at your new house sounds like a good idea.
  • edited November 2006
    Brigid,

I am sorry to read of your cat's passing away. Please know that I am sending prayers as well as comforting thoughts to you and your family. Here's a big cyberhug for you and your family:(((((((((Brigid and Family)))))))))

Adiana:usflag:
  • edited November 2006
    Brigid,

Like everyone else, I am sorry to hear about your families cat. My mom is a very big fan of cats, we have had them all our lives. Recently one of her favorites passed and she was shoken up a little bit. Cats are great companions. Again sorry for the loss, here's some cyber-energy for you!!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Thanks so much, everyone. I appreciate it SO much and my parents are totally amazed by all of you and your kindness. Thank you.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Brigid, please allow me to convey my heartfelt condolences to you for the sad loss of your beloved pet. Losing a much loved pet is the same as losing a member of the family- pets ARE members of family, and the love and compassion you showed at her passing enabled her to face her time with dignity and the minimum of stress; you were there for her at her most important time. Although these words will never heal the wounds in your heart, I hope they will be of some small consolation to you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Boo, I cannot add anything more meaningful or heartfelt than anything already written here... I echo the love, companionship and sincere sentiments... Hopefully, we can transmit to you how very united we are with you in your grief, and that may therefore ease the pain of your sadness....When you contemplate Samantha, contemplate that her death is witnessed by many of your friends, and that we, far-flung as we are, shed a tear for her too.... Hugs, dear friend, to you and yours.
  • edited November 2006
    Brigid

So sorry to hear your news. We've lost two cats this year, Fluffy, who died at seventeen from a thyroid problem and Scotie, whose age we don't know. It's astonishing what a hole they leave in life, isn't it? Nothing I can say to help, save that I'm thinking of you and that time does heal.

Martin.
  • edited November 2006
    I can't say anything that won't basically repeat what others have said better.

*hugs*
  • edited November 2006
    I grew up with cats and there is nothing that stop me from stopping and playing with a cat on the streets (In other words, I love them).

I share your sorrow that another has departed this world.
  • edited November 2006
    Oh Brigid, I am so sorry to hear about losing your kitty. :( You were such a good family for her and I am sure she always appreciated all the love you gave to her. She sounds like such an amazing cat!! I am glad she brought so much happiness to your lives and I am sure you will miss her terribly.

My thoughts are with you and your family. Please ket me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

hugs and kisses - Kim
  • edited November 2006
    ah so many nice things have been said to you brigid.. how comforting!

i can only imagine how you feel .. i dont have any pets, but i did take a
    moment to imagine and go there with you..
    peace sister.. and to your family .. and the other kittys !!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2006
    :rockon: Condolences, sista'.

I loved cats as a child, even though I was not to have one - especially tabbies. I will miss them if I had one too. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Oh, I can't tell you how much comfort you've all brought me! Thank you from the very bottom of my heart. Really. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude. I've been so sad about her passing, more so than the other cats who've died since I've been here and I think it's because I was there during the death process. I did that on purpose because I remember another thread we had going a while ago about how far removed the modern Western world is from death and I knew, as a Buddhist, that it would be more helpful in the long run not to avoid or hide from it. So I decided to be with her for my own sake, more than hers. I felt that when she really started to go she wanted to be left alone. We'd had our opportunities to say good bye to her and at the end I felt like she just wanted to go. I also didn't want to prolong her death or make her want to hold on any longer than was necessary because I wanted her suffering to cease.

I'm especially grateful that nature was allowed to take her course and my parents didn't insist on bringing her to the vet in the middle of the night for the needle. I wanted her to be able to play out everything she needed to play out without interfering just because I couldn't stand to watch her suffer. I'm really grateful for that.

Since she's been gone I've been watching the emotions that have been taking me over. I wept bitterly last night, for her passing, for missing her and for the nature of life in general. I felt like a child kicking at the world because it wouldn't behave the way I want it to. During those moments I had no wisdom in me, just childish anger, frustration and sorrow.

But I let it happen and didn't fight it or berate myself for being childish and emotional, so that's a good thing. I relaxed into it somewhat and observed myself with a clinical corner of my brain and without judgment. I found that when I felt like I was facing more than one challenge I became overwhelmed and reverted to childish thought patterns ("I want her to come back!! Waaaahh!"). It was all quite interesting.

It was worth seeing the whole death process through even though it was a bit of a shock to me and I'm still a little shaky about it. It was my first time, after all. It had to be done and will have to be done as much as possible in the future.

Thank you all and your loving, compassionate, empathic hearts!! What friends you are! You've given me more joy and comfort than you'll ever know. I love you all so much.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    P.S.

My parents are going to FREAK when they read your messages. They had no idea I had friends like you all and it's going to comfort them more than I can say.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Brigid,

Sammy is dead - but never gone. That's the wonderful thing about memories. In Sammy's last days - she was probably in a great deal of pain. In your memories, she's as frisky as ever - with no discomfort to her. :)

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    So totally true, BF. I was just thinking about how willful she was and how she'd taken to getting up onto the big wooden kitchen table in the last few months of her life. My parents decided to let her continue because we didn't know how much longer she'd be with us and because of her age and even though it completely horrified me, I don't eat there, they do. So it really wasn't up to me. I do, however, have to keep explaining to Torcal, that getting up on the table is not on, even if Samantha was allowed to do it. It's very confusing for a little cat and my father's suggestion of explaining to Torcal that age has its privileges has been on no help whatsoever. But the whole thing is still a source of great hilarity for my folks, especially when my mother comes down in the morning to see Torcal lying right in the middle of the kitchen table.

Thanks for your gentle and wise response, BF. You never cease to amaze me.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    My parents would like to express their profound gratitude for all your beautiful responses. They've been very touched that a group of complete strangers would go out their way to support us and show such kindness during a loss that some people might think was somewhat unimportant. I've never seen my parents react this way before. It's been a wonder to them and I can never thank you all enough.
  • edited November 2006
    Just doing our duty, Boo!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    You never cease to amaze me.

Aww... that cuz you don't know me well enough, punkin.

You're better off that way too :)

Thinking of Sammy,

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    LOL!!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Dear Sis,

I feel for you and your family, dear, Please accept my condolences. As you know we lost our cat about a year ago (Jasper-a girl pussy) (did that sound right?) anyway (we now have Tommy-a boy pussy).

When jasper died we all cried-horribly,I was blabbing like a girl (no offence meant-just a similie).

We gave her a christian/Buddhist service and my 3 year old Joshua and Jessica placed floral tributes from the garden jasper loved sooo much.

I buried her in a prominent spot in our backyard garden where her spirit now resides in a tree we planted there a few weeks later. I love cats.

love to u Brigid and your Menagerie.

cheers all!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Thank you so much, Xray. We have a cat called Tom, too! He's a boy, too. lol! He's orange striped and eats too much. He's a little neurotic and I'm constantly having to soothe his frayed nerves, poor wee thing. I love him dearly. He's at his calmest and most loving when he comes up and lays on my bed with me after his supper, around 8pm. Whenever he wants a little cuddle he makes a funny meow sound and I know to put my book down or put the mute on the TV and give him lots of love. He's so happy when we're cuddling. I'm teaching him to use his paws more and now he grabs my hand with both paws when he wants me to pet him. It's unbelievably adorable. His purr is so loud I can't hear the TV. Nobody else but my parents and I even know we have an orange cat because he always runs and hides as soon as someone else comes to the house. He was abandoned by his mummy and the rest of the litter after she had him in our old barn. It took my mum two weeks to get him into the house and off to the vet. He and I have a special bond and he knows he can trust me no matter what. I always make a big show of responding to him when he's telling me not to do something so he knows all he has to do is tell me to stop and I will. I love him so.
  • edited November 2006
    Sorry to hear Brigid about your cat. It was teerrible for us when we had our Lasa Apso lay down and die in our house. Luckily he went quickly, and I was there as he passed on.

Metta
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Thank you so much, Xray. We have a cat called Tom, too! He's a boy, too. lol! He's orange striped and eats too much. He's a little neurotic and I'm constantly having to soothe his frayed nerves, poor wee thing. I love him dearly. He's at his calmest and most loving when he comes up and lays on my bed with me after his supper, around 8pm. Whenever he wants a little cuddle he makes a funny meow sound and I know to put my book down or put the mute on the TV and give him lots of love. He's so happy when we're cuddling. I'm teaching him to use his paws more and now he grabs my hand with both paws when he wants me to pet him. It's unbelievably adorable. His purr is so loud I can't hear the TV. Nobody else but my parents and I even know we have an orange cat because he always runs and hides as soon as someone else comes to the house. He was abandoned by his mummy and the rest of the litter after she had him in our old barn. It took my mum two weeks to get him into the house and off to the vet. He and I have a special bond and he knows he can trust me no matter what. I always make a big show of responding to him when he's telling me not to do something so he knows all he has to do is tell me to stop and I will. I love him so.

hey sister!
    Now Tom is orange striped-so is ours
    Tom makes a funny meow sound when he wants attention-so does ours, he says "Uhuh" kind of like Pepe le Pew. and meow when he's hungry while waiting near the laundry door (where he sleeps at night).
    Tom purrs loudly-same as ours he sounds so loud we thought he was asthmatic!
    Tom curls his paws to get your attention-well ours sleeps like a baby in our ours when we pick him up-Oh and if you don't pay enough attention-the bugger will bite you.:mad:

anyway enough coincidences,

Hope things are progressing better for you all now.
    cheers,
    Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    OMG! That's HILARIOUS, Xray! They must be twins just like we are! lol!

Thank you so much, Iawa. I appreciate it very much.
  • edited November 2006
    Sorry to hear about Samantha :(
    Our cat Pie got run over outside our house a few weeks ago. The girl that was driving was as upset as we were and brought us loads of flowers and a card the next day as an apology.
    We've since adopted two kitttens from our local cat sanctuary. They're 5 month old sisters, both black, Millie has long hair and Maude has short. They're still at the "let's charge around the house like mental things" stage and are currently playing the "shall we use our litter tray or go in some random place they'll never find" game!

On an aside, if you like cats you'll love http://www.mycathatesyou.com

I submitted this pic of Millie going wild when we were feeding her !
  • edited November 2006
    Frizzer, that is so sad about your cat. :) But how wonderful that you have adopted two new ones. That pictures is hilarious! Looks like she has lots of personaltiy. I hope they quit playing the litter box game with you soon.

I have a question for you cat people....is there any way to get my cat to be a little less "talkative"? It's really cute most of the time, but not at 3am everyday! He is such a character. He will not eat the food in his dish unless it is completely full. He will sit there and meow at me until there is a big huge pile of food in his dish. What a goofball.
  • edited November 2006
    Frizzer, this picture from that website is great:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    ....He will not eat the food in his dish unless it is completely full. He will sit there and meow at me until there is a big huge pile of food in his dish. What a goofball.

...I suggest you train him to use a tin opener......:thumbsup: :lol:
  • edited November 2006
    Ha ha ha! :D
    That's hilarious, he looks like a right bundle of fun!
  • edited November 2006
    Good idea fede...maybe I can teach him how to use the toilet as well. I hate cleaning the litter box. He's worth it, though. :)
    edited November 2006
    My cat companions have always been very chatty - probably because I talk to them. Even Cuskey, who was left with me when a lodger left suddenly. He was a silent cat while she was here and now is extremely vocal. The other feline housemate is a Siamese and so is incapable of shutting up.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hi. Frizz. I love that website! It's hilarious! And that pic of Millie is just fabulous! She's gorgeous.

Our cat Daisy is very talkative, too, especially in the middle of the night. My folks think she's looking for her kittens that she gave birth to when she was really young and were taken away from her. This was all before she came to us. I love the sound of their voices at suppertime! It's like a little cat choir. And Torcal and I often communicate with little high pitched sounds. It's really fun. Oh, how I adore those creatures! What joy they have brought into our quiet lives.

Hooray to all who adopt pets who really need them!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Simon,

We've never had Siamese cats but I've heard they're absolutely hilarious creatures.
  • edited November 2006
    YM,
    I have a cat named Nigel. He too is not a happy fellow unless his food bowl is full. My advice to you is.........Keep the bowl full. No matter how I try to explain to Nigel that I promise to not let him ever go hungry, he just does not seem to believe me. I try to fill his bowl at night right before I go to bed. He seems to be less vocal in the night that way. But then I must fill it back up 1st thing in the morning also or he drives me insane until I do.
    Nigel is part everyday barn cat, Siamese and possibly something wild.....Vet isn't sure.
    We saved him as a kitten from death when he was going to be taken with his litter mates and be put down at the local shelter. He is 2 years old and and weights 20 lbs. not fat.
    I would post a pic of him for you to see but since I am a sandwich short of a picnic basket when it comes to doing anything on the pc you can see his pic on my myspace page. You can get there thro the myspace newbuddhist page. actually you can see him there. He is my pic on myspace...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Awww! Sweet Nigel! Not sure if the food is going to end. Love him!

I can't figure out how to post pics of my cats on here from my Kodak Easy Share software. (That's a little ironic, isn't it? lol!)

Deb, if you and I ever go on a picnic, we'll starve.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Frizzer,

I forgot to say how sorry I am for the loss of your cat! It's heartbreaking. I'm so glad you adopted more. All great blessings to you.
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks Brig, they're keeping us on our toes at the moment! Hopefully they'll quieten down a bit when we start letting them out into the garden.
    It was a real shame about our other cat though but fortunately she didn't suffer at all.
  • edited November 2006
    Boo, So far he limits his eating on his own and has not gotten fat.....I'm not sure what I will do if he starts getting to fat....Guess have to get use to him complaining all the time.

I have only ever owned 2 cats in my life and the 1st one was when I was a child. My mom mostly took care of him.

As for the picnic........I'm afaid you are correct.
  • edited December 2006
    Good advice about keeping his bowl full, Deb! I did that yesterday, and he was much quieter. I have him on some "diet" food because when we adopted him, he was quite chunky! Maybe since it is diet food, it digests faster, so he is hungry more often. Silly kitty! He's the best!
  • edited December 2006
    YM, glad to hear it helped. :)