Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you explain this boy's story?

The Boy Who Lived Before

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    This kind of study is basically based on the work of professor Ian Stevenson

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Remember-Previous-Lives-Reincarnation-ebook/dp/B004EYSWWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387886658&sr=8-2&keywords=ian+stevenson

I believe he is dead now but for 40 years he went across the planet documenting children who supposedly remember past lives. These children are from a huge variety of cultural and religious backgrounds, not just cultures who believe in rebirth.

It was also interesting to find out that more people apparently believe in rebirth then they do a heaven. I was fascinated to learn about a Muslim sect and a tribe that lives up by the arctic and how they viewed rebirth.

He was always very scientific about it, always airing on the end of some sort of corruption rather then true memories, but there is a certain percentage of the hundreds of children where records were able to be found and so many things come together it makes you go.. wow.

he never came up with any theories as to what the system of rebirth was about, just studied the children, many into adulthood.

90% of the children forget the "memories" by age 10. Those that don't it actually appears to have a fairly negative impact on their lives for the most part.

A lot of buddhists use this work as "proof" of rebirth.. I'd have to submit that in terms of "proof" of some sort of after/previous life, this is about as close its ever going to be.
  • Actually, he wasn't very scientific about it and you can find some informative critiques of his work on the internet. Many believers in past life reincarnation do use his work as proof.

And most people manage to believe in reincarnation, ghosts, and heaven at the same time. It's fascinating, isn't it?
    riverflow
    Cinorjer said:

Actually, he wasn't very scientific about it and you can find some informative critiques of his work on the internet. Many believers in past life reincarnation do use his work as proof.

And most people manage to believe in reincarnation, ghosts, and heaven at the same time. It's fascinating, isn't it?

I always liked the movie " what dreams my come" where it had heaven but you could choose to be reborn if you wanted to.. as a young kid I figured why the hell not ? because the idea of heaven always bored the hell out of me(pun intended muhaha).
    Invincible_summer
  • On what basis do you claim Ian Stevenson wasn't scientific in his research.
    He was a respectable professor in University of Virginia.
    Do you think he would risk his career by embarking on an unscientific research?

It is interesting that people who has no experience doing reasearch has the gall to question the scientific validity of the work of a university professor, of a renowned university, no less.

University of Virginia is ranked No. 2 for 2013 for the best Public School in US.

Cinorjer said:

Actually, he wasn't very scientific about it and you can find some informative critiques of his work on the internet. Many believers in past life reincarnation do use his work as proof.

• I don't rely on only my opinion. I read papers by other scientists much more familiar with his work and evaluate their conclusions with what I was taught about the scientific method.

His research is non-scientific because there is literally nothing that can disprove his theory and because he ignored deep flaws in his methods of gathering data. That isn't just my opinion. And yes, he had a long career investigating parapsychology. He didn't risk his career doing this; this WAS his career and he had lots of private funding by various rich people who also had an interest.

Here is the big flaw: His theory is that evidence of past life memories can best be observed in young children (and also birth marks are supposed to reflect past life traumas, don't forget that huge part of his theory). Now, scientifically, a child can claim to remember things that appear to be from another life due to various reasons. Making things up from pure imagination ("let's pretend" is a universal childhood game). Repeating things he or she observed and overheard. Being coached by adults who don't understand how leading questions can contaminate a response.

So the scientist shows up and asks a bunch of questions and tries to match the answers to details of someone who died. He interviewed thousands. A huge percentage of these he was able to spot obvious coaching and figure out where the child got the details. So those didn't count in his study. He threw those away. He pointed to the tiny percentage where the link was not obvious to him and claimed that he'd succeeded. In what? Even those cases, the scientists who took a closer look at some of them discovered more obvious reasons why the child's statements did not match what we actually knew. So he simply threw out those cases and pointed to the remaining ones as proof of his theory. Quite simply, this is a case where only positive results are counted and no amount of negative results can ever have an effect on his overall conclusion.

riverflowMaryAnneInvincible_summerlobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    How is this any more reliable evidence than that provided by thousands of people who have been near death and walk through a long tunnel through the light, etc.?
    riverflowInvincible_summerTheEccentric
  • Your ignorance of what is meant by scientific research explains your ill-informed conclusions.
    Cinorjer said:

I don't rely on only my opinion. I read papers by other scientists much more familiar with his work and evaluate their conclusions with what I was taught about the scientific method.

His research is non-scientific because there is literally nothing that can disprove his theory and because he ignored deep flaws in his methods of gathering data. That isn't just my opinion. And yes, he had a long career investigating parapsychology. He didn't risk his career doing this; this WAS his career and he had lots of private funding by various rich people who also had an interest.

Here is the big flaw: His theory is that evidence of past life memories can best be observed in young children (and also birth marks are supposed to reflect past life traumas, don't forget that huge part of his theory). Now, scientifically, a child can claim to remember things that appear to be from another life due to various reasons. Making things up from pure imagination ("let's pretend" is a universal childhood game). Repeating things he or she observed and overheard. Being coached by adults who don't understand how leading questions can contaminate a response.

So the scientist shows up and asks a bunch of questions and tries to match the answers to details of someone who died. He interviewed thousands. A huge percentage of these he was able to spot obvious coaching and figure out where the child got the details. So those didn't count in his study. He threw those away. He pointed to the tiny percentage where the link was not obvious to him and claimed that he'd succeeded. In what? Even those cases, the scientists who took a closer look at some of them discovered more obvious reasons why the child's statements did not match what we actually knew. So he simply threw out those cases and pointed to the remaining ones as proof of his theory. Quite simply, this is a case where only positive results are counted and no amount of negative results can ever have an effect on his overall conclusion.

• cinorjer, from what you wrote , I suspect you dont even know what Dr Ian Stevenson's conclusion was. Please prove me wrong.
  • The problem is always that we're not doubting people have experiences like NDEs but what that experience means. People generally trust their own memories and eyes and such. We have to. Problem is when we interpret what we experience.
    Vastmindriverflowlobster
    hermitwin said:

Your ignorance of what is meant by scientific research explains your ill-informed conclusions.

Cinorjer said:

I don't rely on only my opinion. I read papers by other scientists much more familiar with his work and evaluate their conclusions with what I was taught about the scientific method.

Stevenson's work has been lauded by some, but heavily criticized by many. Cinorjer is -- by far -- not the only one to raise objections.

I dont think Stevenson's work is definitive proof of anything, nor did i ever read of Stevenson thinking so.

I very against the scientific establishment having narrow minded views on things and i see nothing wrong with examining any phenomenon.

Scientific breakthroughs are made not by scientists who work on ccomfortably accepted topics, but by those called quacks who followed a differnt path.

Very true, Jayantha! The quacks often lead the way. But of course, some quacks are never vindicated, and are -- indeed -- quacks.

• hermitwin said:

cinorjer, from what you wrote , I suspect you dont even know what Dr Ian Stevenson's conclusion was. Please prove me wrong.

I think I upset you because you're a fan of the guy or his research. If you believe he's a visionary that is misunderstood by the rest of the scientific world, then just count me as one of the skeptics that failed to appreciate his genius. Neither I nor the other skeptics of the world really spend a lot of time debating the scientific evidence for the paranormal.

Dr. Stevenson's final conclusion, based on the interviews I read and in his own words, seemed to be that he had provided "evidence for reincarnation, but not compelling evidence".
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

Very true, Jayantha! The quacks often lead the way. But of course, some quacks are never vindicated, and are -- indeed -- quacks.

There are no limits to quackery for scientific advancement! Quack away i say! Of course since so much of scientific research is based on grants, oh what we may have missed by the limiting of monies to quacks :-P.
  • Some of these spectacular cases have been debunked. But there are still many that are unexplainable, and seem to point towards rebirth. And then there are all those books by Near Death Experiencers, which also tend to point toward rebirth.

The only way we'll know for sure is after we die. And at that point, we won't be able to communicate with anyone here, except the rare bona-fide spirit medium, and hardly anyone believes them, so there's no way to prove anything. So it's up to each person to decide based on their own reasoning and reading of research, testimony, and so forth.
    Actually, "In the 1960s, Stevenson set a combination lock using a secret word or phrase, and placed it in a filing cabinet in the department, telling his colleagues he would try to pass the code to them after his death. Emily Williams Kelly told The New York Times: "Presumably, if someone had a vivid dream about him, in which there seemed to be a word or a phrase that kept being repeated—I don't quite know how it would work—if it seemed promising enough, we would try to open it using the combination suggested." The Times reported that, as of February 2007, the lock remains unopened." -- Wikipedia
  • Poor little boy! it's not a good thing to be able to remember our past lives and we should not. My teacher said if we remember very well our past lives, we won't be able to live our present life.

@Dakini said: The only way we'll know for sure is after we die.
    Do not wait because it might be too late by then. We must prepare for our present and next journeys right now by practicing meditation to keep our mind free of greediness, anger and ignorance.

@hermitwin, thanks for this very interesting video. Birth and rebirth cycles (or samsara) is the basic belief in Buddhism. I am surprised at some comments that didmissed it. After all, we are in the Buddhist forum. Or are we not?
    Jeffreycarolann
  • cvalue said:

@Dakini said: The only way we'll know for sure is after we die.
    Do not wait because it might be too late by then. We must prepare for our present and next journeys right now by practicing meditation to keep our mind free of greediness, anger and ignorance. I didn't say we shouldn't make the most out of the present life. I only said we'll never know for sure if there's rebirth until after we die.

• Cinorjer said:

The problem is always that we're not doubting people have experiences like NDEs but what that experience means. People generally trust their own memories and eyes and such. We have to. Problem is when we interpret what we experience.

I would not trust myself let alone the invisible friend of a child. Do we theorise in systems of evolution based on 'unintelligent design', 'remirth of consciousness' or 'pureland created by mind over there somewhere'? Maybe when I grow up a little I will believe and prove . . .

Until then one life. Then we die.
    Kind of NT1 but also kind of important to make progress into the Path . . . which I do trust and find working as advertised without the fairy dust and tinsel . . .

and now for a science anthem:
    I believe I can fly
    I believe I can touch the sky
    I think about it every night and day
    Spread my wings and fly away
    I believe I can soar
    I see me running through that open door
    I believe I can fly
    I believe I can fly
    I believe I can fly

• I am not arguing for or against reincarnation.
    I am arguing against unfair criticism of a scientist by people who are not scientists largely because of their own prejudices.
    There is no evidence to suggest that Stevenson was a Buddhist or believer in reincarnation.
    Here was a scientist who investigated what others claimed to be cases of reincarnation.
    He adhered to the scientific rigours of an objective research. He had nothing to gain by being bias for or against proof of reincarnation.
    He investigated the cases and he reported what he found. And he is maligned by people who do not understand how scientific research is conducted.
    poptartJeffrey
    hermitwin said:

I am not arguing for or against reincarnation.
    I am arguing against unfair criticism of a scientist by people who are not scientists largely because of their own prejudices.
    There is no evidence to suggest that Stevenson was a Buddhist or believer in reincarnation.
    Here was a scientist who investigated what others claimed to be cases of reincarnation.
    He adhered to the scientific rigours of an objective research. He had nothing to gain by being bias for or against proof of reincarnation.
    He investigated the cases and he reported what he found. And he is maligned by people who do not understand how scientific research is conducted.

I think you have missed that there were many in the scientific community who were very ambivalent toward his work. In fact, one of the criticisms was that he did not follow strict scientific research protocols.

I personally take no position on whether his research came to accurate conclusions. I am skeptical that his studies show what you want them to show.

riverflowCinorjerlobster
  • Terrific discussion friends, thank you..
  • These claims " that there were many in the scientific community who were very ambivalent toward his work. " are made freely. Yet not a single authority was cited.

Mind you, if you are familiar with the academic environment. If stevenson’s research was so flawed, it would have been rejected by the university of Virginia. He would have lost all his credibility amongst his peers.

It is too easy to make baseless claims.

vinlyn said:

hermitwin said:

I am not arguing for or against reincarnation.

I think you have missed that there were many in the scientific community who were very ambivalent toward his work. In fact, one of the criticisms was that he did not follow strict scientific research protocols.

I personally take no position on whether his research came to accurate conclusions. I am skeptical that his studies show what you want them to show.

Hermitwin, are we at that point on this forum that everything we say has to references attached to it? If so, then post numerous references about the validity of Stevenson's work. You haven't done that, either.

Besides which, I have taken no position on whether his work is valid or not. I said, "Stevenson's work has been lauded by some, but heavily criticized by many." Is there something untrue about that statement. Or is his work accepted by most scientists? If you believe that, then you are welcome to show me some references...since that is the tack you are taking.

What is untrue about my statement that, "I think you have missed that there were many in the scientific community who were very ambivalent toward his work. In fact, one of the criticisms was that he did not follow strict scientific research protocols." If you've read much about him and his work, then you know that that is a fair statement.

But finally, I go back to something I said previously: "I personally take no position on whether his research came to accurate conclusions." As to reincarnation or rebirth, I am open-minded. I neither believe nor disbelieve in the two concepts. I have read nothing to prove it either way.

best way is to read his work and find out for yourself whether you feel it's valid or not.

be prepared though, the books are scholarly... ie pretty damn monotonous and boring for such an interesting subject LOL.
  • By all means investigate crop circles, alien abduction, reincarnation, the Sasquatch, Nessie, virgin births, ghosts etc using the scientific method. Expect peer review . . . for your evidence, methodology, conclusions etc . . .
    http://www.skepdic.com/stevenson.html

. . . and another view that might be of interest . . . before the usual defence/attack mechanism incarnates again . . .
    http://blog.paradigm-sys.com/buddhism-reincarnation-science-parapsychology/

Be kind guys, we are all on the side of dukkha as a scientific truth . . . m m m . . . perhaps . . .

:wave:
    Jeffrey
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2013
    The link @lobster posted is pretty balanced I think.

In my personal opinion Stevenson was not aware enough of confirmation bias. He was looking critically at the cases that he investigated (though some would say it wasn’t critical enough) but he didn’t really have a critical look at his hypothesis at all. All he was looking for was confirmation.
    And he did seriously believe in reincarnation before he started investigating it; he was raised with the idea.

Stevenson couldn’t find -in some rare cases – the alternative explanation for the past-life tales that children “spontaneously” came up with. For those rare cases his explanation was – putting it mildly -insufficient. He had no clue at all how reincarnation could work.

In my own confirmation biased mind this looks a lot simpler. All the stories have an alternative explanation. In many cases this explanation can be found; it is either wishful thinking combined with asking children a lot of leading questions, or it is fraud.
    In a few cases the flaw in the story is difficult to find, but there’s a good explanation for that.
    Never the researcher is actually there when for the first time children express fragments of what later becomes “the memory”. There is always room for contamination of the raw material. The fact that we can’t always put our finger on where and how this contamination took place proves nothing.

vinlyn
  • One of the three central tenets of Buddhism is openness.

People love to say they are skeptics, thinking that means they are not gullible. But to me it means their minds are closed.

If science cannot explain this phenomenon it just means science is lacking, not that the phenomenon doesn't exist.
    Dandelion
  • Cinorjer said:

If we had actual proof that scientists could replicate, or undeniable evidence that reincarnation existed ..

Proof? Skeptics are selective about what needs to be proved.The fact is we humans take most things on trust, or to use an even more unscientific word, faith, every moment of our lives. We have faith the sun will rise tomorrow, and plan our lives around that endless cycle continuing, yet not one scientist can prove it will happen.

We put our faith in science, yet its limitations are the reason most people still seek answers elsewhere. When phenomena occur that defy scientific laws they should stimulate our interest and wonder, not trigger the rejection reflex.
    poptart said:

Cinorjer said:

If we had actual proof that scientists could replicate, or undeniable evidence that reincarnation existed ..

Proof? Skeptics are selective about what needs to be proved.The fact is we humans take most things on trust, or to use an even more unscientific word, faith, every moment of our lives. We have faith the sun will rise tomorrow, and plan our lives around that endless cycle continuing, yet not one scientist can prove it will happen.

We put our faith in science, yet its limitations are the reason most people still seek answers elsewhere. When phenomena occur that defy scientific laws they should stimulate our interest and wonder, not trigger the rejection reflex.
    Again, you demonstrate that you don't understand the scientific method.

Yes, on the one hand, we are selective on what needs to be proved. There are many things we just accept. But when things become more controversial, when things are the most significant, then we want some higher level of proof.

But in your example of the sun rising, you put the emphasis on the part of the scientific method that is key to the whole concept. Replication. That particular replication occurred 365 times last year. Approximately 23,360 times in my lifetime. And guess how many times that replication did not occur in my 64 years. Exactly 0 times. In fact, in all of recorded history, 100% replication, 0% failed replication. 100% replication. That's as good as scientific proof gets.

Now, turning to something more nebulous -- prayer. 100% replication of success by praying. No. Absolutely not. Little replication. But the good scientist would not say "Prayer does not work". He would say there is no reliable evidence that prayer works. He doesn't reject. He leaves the door open because, yes, there are things that happen that science is unable to prove.

MaryAnneriverflowCinorjerlobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    zenff said:

The link @lobster posted is pretty balanced I think.

In my personal opinion Stevenson was not aware enough of confirmation bias. He was looking critically at the cases that he investigated (though some would say it wasn’t critical enough) but he didn’t really have a critical look at his hypothesis at all. All he was looking for was confirmation.
    And he did seriously believe in reincarnation before he started investigating it; he was raised with the idea.

Stevenson couldn’t find -in some rare cases – the alternative explanation for the past-life tales that children “spontaneously” came up with. For those rare cases his explanation was – putting it mildly -insufficient. He had no clue at all how reincarnation could work.

In my own confirmation biased mind this looks a lot simpler. All the stories have an alternative explanation. In many cases this explanation can be found; it is either wishful thinking combined with asking children a lot of leading questions, or it is fraud.
    In a few cases the flaw in the story is difficult to find, but there’s a good explanation for that.
    Never the researcher is actually there when for the first time children express fragments of what later becomes “the memory”. There is always room for contamination of the raw material. The fact that we can’t always put our finger on where and how this contamination took place proves nothing.

The person who's continued Stepheson's work does look at each case and examine alternative explanations. Of course, that's still not concrete proof of anything. But I think the likelihood of ALL the cases world-wide that have been found being fraudulent is slim.

I know a psychologist who ran into a client just as the client's 3-year old child was getting exasperated with her father, saying "The LAST time, when I was the mommy and you were the little boy, you had to do what I said!" An overactive imagination? Maybe. But maybe not.

• Dakini said:

I know a psychologist who ran into a client just as the client's 3-year old child was getting exasperated with her father, saying "The LAST time, when I was the mommy and you were the little boy, you had to do what I said!" An overactive imagination? Maybe. But maybe not.

Kids talk a lot of nonsense. If the kid would have given her previous-life’s social security number I would have been impressed.
    vinlynlobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Can they prove prayer or rebirth to the 95% confidence level that it wasn't just chance? From what I imagine, which is a far cry from truth, they wouldn't propose their clame unless it was to the 95% confidence level true.

What do we know about sidhis and tummo? If it exists and we haven't measured it maybe it is because people who practice those things keep it secret for our own good.
  • develop concentration of your own mind and try to see your own past births

you would not need other's evidence to know that there were past births of your own

then

that is 100% confidence
  • Jeffrey said:

What do we know about sidhis and tummo?

Tummo as a learnable verifiable technique we know it works. Ask the ice man
    Yogic flying or 'full lotus hopping' does not seem to be so verifiable, other siddhis . . . develop spontaneously through practice and service.
  • zenff said:

Kids talk a lot of nonsense. If the kid would have given her previous-life’s social security number I would have been impressed.

That's exactly how these things get dismissed, especially in the West. This is why researching the stories is worthwhile.

• Jeffrey said:

What do we know about sidhis and tummo? If it exists and we haven't measured it maybe it is because people who practice those things keep it secret for our own good.

Tummo can be learned. A friend's 11 year-old daughter learned it at a winter weekend retreat run by a Nyingma lama, and was recognized as the best student. Steam-dried a freezing wet towel they put around her shoulders. It's also been documented in India by researchers. The Dalai Lama has been encouraging and facilitating that type of research for quite awhile now, you know.

• zenff said:

Kids talk a lot of nonsense.

So do adults, including "scientists". :p
    federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Cinorjer said:

....And most people manage to believe in reincarnation, ghosts, and heaven at the same time. It's fascinating, isn't it?

I don't believe in any of them......

:scratch:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Neither do I!