Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

beyond thought and deliberation

oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
edited December 2013 in Philosophy
XRAY56

SAMDHINIRMOCANA
Trans.CLEARY

I have always found these passages interesting. Especially the end of this first section which speaks of someone who has never tasted anything but bitterness and who can have no thought or belief in something sweet. I think that this applies to us all in a sense.

The enlightenment being 'Offspring of the Teaching' said, 'The appearance of a Buddha in the world is most wonderful; because of the Buddha's appearance in the world, it is possible to understand and realize the ultimate truth that is beyond the scope of all thought and deliberation.' "

The Buddha said, "It is so. It is as you say. I have awakened to the ultimate truth, which is beyond all thought and reflection.

And I explain it to others, revealing and analyzing it, defining and elucidating it.
Why?
The ultimate truth of which I speak is that which is inwardly realized by sages, while the scope thought and deliberation is what unenlightened people testify to among themselves.

Therefore, you should know that ultimate truth transcends all objects of thought and deliberation.

"The ultimate truth of which I speak has no form to which to relate, whereas thought and deliberation operate only in the sphere of form.
Based on this principle, you should know that ultimate truth transcends all objects of thought and deliberation.

"The ultimate truth of which I speak cannot be expressed in words, whereas thought and deliberation operate only in the realm of words.
Based on this principle, you should know that ultimate truth transcends all objects of thought and deliberation.

"The ultimate truth of which I speak has no representation, whereas thought and deliberation operate only in the realm of representation.
For this reason, you should know that ultimate truth transcends all objects of thought and deliberation.

"The ultimate truth of which I speak puts an end to all controversy, whereas thought and deliberation operate only in the realm of controversy.
For this reason, you should know that ultimate truth transcends all objects of thought and deliberation.

A man accustomed to pungent and bitter flavors all his life cannot think of, or assess, or believe in the sweet taste of honey and sugar.”
lobsterRodrigomisecmisc1anataman

Comments