Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha

Hello again friends.
Was Buddha avatar of Vishnu? That's how Hinduist see it. But what about Buddhist ? How Buddhist see it?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2013
    I suppose it all depends on the particular Buddhist. Some who adopt elements of Hinduism into their practice may very well see the Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu, i.e., a physical manifestation of a higher being who manifested to act as a reformer of the Vedic religions. Some traditions see the Buddha as an emanation of the supramundane or primordial Buddha, being a manifestation of a transcendent being in his own right. Still others see the Buddha as simply a being who rediscovered the path to awakening that had, over time, became lost to the world, and who made it known once more.
    Faustrim
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Some individual Buddhists may but Buddhist traditions in general, no. Otherwise what @Jason said, different sects have different views on the nature of Buddha.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    from a Theravada perspective the Buddha was a regular man who saw birth, old age, suffering, and death, and wanted to find a way out of that cycle, thats all. Now he had some of what they call "super-mundane" qualities, but this was related to his dhamma practice over many lifetimes, not inherent in him because he is a special class of being other then human.
    Jason said:

Still others see the Buddha as simply a being who rediscovered the path to awakening that had, over time, became lost to the world, and who made it known once more.

this
    Faustrim
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "Buddha" just means "awake."
  • Okay, so Siddhartha
  • I haven't ever heard Vishnu as a Bodhisattva or Buddha. Buddha did believe in beings in the heaven realm, but those beings are not liberated from craving.
    cvalue
  • Vishnu has no obvious relationship to Buddhism. Could you make your question a little more precise?
  • @samahita recommended me book Jataky, that's the stories about Siddhartha afterlifes. :clap:
  • fivebells said:

Vishnu has no obvious relationship to Buddhism. Could you make your question a little more precise?

Most lists and depictions of the Daśāvatāra have Buddha listed or shown as the 9th incarnation. This is also in the Bhagavata Purana, Bhavishya Purana, and Narasimha Purana. Other lists and depictions of the Daśāvatāra have Balarama listed or shown as the 9th avatar. In the Hindu temple I used to go to, Balarama was shown on one sanctum of Vishnu, Dhanvantari was on another sanctum of Vishnu, but the Buddha was nowhere to be found in the temple, which is south Indian style. So I presume it depends on the geography and subsect of Vaishnavism.
    Faustrimcvalue
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    No.

According to the evangelical Christians, he's an avatar of Satan. According to atheists, he's a myth, fully fictional. According to Marx, he's a fairy tale to dupe the workers into being complacent and easily exploited. According to Scientologists, he's probably a past incarnation of L Ron Hubbard. According to the Pastifarians, .... the Pastifarians didn't really say much about the Buddha, but if they did, I'd certainly want to study it and incorporate it into my practice because they're, like, experts.
    FaustrimJainarayanpersonTheswingisyellow
  • No.

According to the evangelical Christians, he's an avatar of Satan. According to atheists, he's a myth, fully fictional. According to Marx, he's a fairy tale to dupe the workers into being complacent and easily exploited. According to Scientologists, he's probably a past incarnation of L Ron Hubbard. According to the Pastifarians, .... the Pastifarians didn't really say much about the Buddha, but if they did, I'd certainly want to study it and incorporate it into my practice because they're, like, experts.

Isn't it amazing how religious figures take up so much room in some people's minds, like the above mentioned? It's like "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" when people try so hard to disprove religious figures or religion.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'd guess that if Buddha was/is an avatar of Vishnu then we all are.
  • ourself said:

I'd guess that if Buddha was/is an avatar of Vishnu then we all are.

Vishnu does mean 'all-pervading', and Vaishnava Hindus believe Vishnu to be Brahman, and everything is a manifestation of Brahman, so ... ;)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    He was just a man but a man who had a keen insight into the human mind and the human condition
    vinlynbetaboy