Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NYE 2013! Buddhist blogs, Searching for Sugar Man, and how are you planning to see in 2014?

edited December 2013 in General Banter
Hi guys, was reading a very moving discussion on here the other day about trying to make writing a part of one's daily reflection, so last night gave it a go with a mind to seeing what comes out - like literary version of Zazen ;-)

Here then is my little humble offering - I hope you enjoy a few thoughts on 2013, those we have had to said goodbye to, and why marking time is so important to us...

Here is the link: thedharma-farmer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/nye-2013-searching-for-sugar-man-life.html

It would be lovely to me if others felt the urge to share there experiences on here, or on the blog itself, so if you enjoyed a post, agreed or disagreed with something I've said, or something resonates with you, please feel free to consider posting your thoughts or re-sharing on facebook/twitter etc, lets get back into the habit of passing on something positive to others!

Does anyone know of any other buddhist blogs I may be able to submit my thoughts to, as well as learn from others? We are so lucky to have this one!!

Also, how do most of you plan to spend the night? I'm off to a gig in Manchester (UK) to see a friend play (for more on her band, see blog above), but I wish I was staying indoors or able to get to a retreat centre... I just hate being exposed to challenging behaviours when they are alcohol fuelled at the best of times, but tonight looks set to be a tough one... just focusing on the desire to see others happy, however they think they will find it.

As for resolutions.... Learn to fail better! ;-)

:-) Have a wonderful NYE 2013 all of you, Metta and peace to all beings in 2014!

The Dharma-Farmer xxx

*NYE 2003... No idea!!!???

Comments

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Does anyone know of any other buddhist blogs I may be able to submit my thoughts to, as well as learn from others?
    There are so many... what category? Also, a lot of people who used to blog switched to forums when enough people learned to use forums. The people who *really* like to blog also are slowly being lost to ebooks-- might as well get paid if you're going to write that much.
    Also, how do most of you plan to spend the night?
    I'm still shopping for Buddhist holidays that I like, that I can get other people to celebrate with me, etc. I missed Bodhi day this year because of obligations of everyone around me. ;-(

It looks like in Japan (Shingon maybe?) they write things (symbols of bad Karma?) on paper & set 'em on fire on New Year's. Can't find a good link for the custom.
  • Hi Matthew, thanks so much, really kind of you to take the time for such a considerate response, I appreciate it.

I get what you mean about forums, but I like reading the work of writers who share their journey with you as time goes by and forums just seem to look at specific questions and you can get a lot of tension when people disagree. I've been told to try and get an agent and a publishing deal, but I'd like to keep my motivation for writing and teaching the Dharma as pure as possible. I particularly admire authors such as Brad Warner, people who aren't afraid to rock the boat a bit if it wakes people up a bit ;-)

Yeah, Buddhist holidays are a funny one huh? In the Triratna movement we calibrate Wesak (obv), Dharmachakrapawadana Day (anniversary of the first discourse) and Sangha Day, as well as convening as a sangha at each centre for full moon puja, as per tradition. I'm in the UK, so our more traditional cultural heritage of Easter, Eid, and Hanukka are about as relevant to me as Christmas, but the tradition of a mid-winter solstice feast for family and friends, being about 3,000 years older than Christmas, I like to honour still... Ultimately, given the fundamental emphasis on impermanence and the limitations of sensory pleasures, I wonder why I even still celebrate my birthday, lol!

Have a great New Year's Eve :-D peace be with you x
    matthewmartin
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Hogmanay? I'm going to combine my traditional ways with Buddhism for it. I'm going to take a leaf out of the Kerouac/Chogyam Trungpa school of thought and Meditate over many cans of Hobgoblin strong ale :om:
    You can take a Scotsman to Buddhism, but you can't take the Scotsman out the Buddhist :thumbsup:
    The_Dharma_Farmer
  • Haha, yeah, we all gotta work with our samskaras and conditioning :-) wishing you the very best friend, mmmm... Hobgoblin... Sadhu!!!
    DharmaMcBum
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Good morning to you all in the new year. I need to work on breakfast now though I can barely get out the door to the kitchen as someones dumped a load of empty Hobgoblin ale cans in my front room :banghead:
    how