Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Indescribable bliss

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited January 2014 in Meditation
Just 30 minutes of meditation - bliss whenever thoughts were absent and an abundant space came into being. Whenever thoughts entered, the conflict was back, the mundane was back. No specific focus on an object (like breathing etc.), but a general awareness only. No intention other than the intention to NOT let "thought" catch you unawares.

When this was sustained, bliss was possible. Else, it was back to the mundane.

Happy New Year, everyone! :)
JeffreylobsterDakiniInvincible_summer

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

No intention other than the intention to NOT let "thought" catch you unawares. When this was sustained, bliss was possible. Else, it was back to the mundane.

happy new year to you too.

my meditation is a total chaos, so it is not even meditation in the proper sense, so i will be acting as a complete hypocrite by replying with below theoretical information, which i have understood from my theoretical readings and which seems ok to me - so sharing the below information with you.

Your the intention to NOT let "thought" catch you can give you bliss only, and that too not long enough and the sad part is no insight will arise from it - why - the reason is the intention to not let thought catch you - shows an aversion towards thought - so you are doing a not doing of letting thoughts come in - so what you are doing is also a form of doing and meditation is allowing everything to happen and let them cease on their own. meditation is done not to achieve anything, but to let go of everything, which we think we have. this is not to say to give attention to thoughts to give rise to new thoughts, rather this is to say that if thoughts come, acknowledge them and gently go back to the breath. don't try to avoid thoughts, if your objective is to gain insights.

see if the above information makes some sense to you.

metta to you and all sentient beings.
  • Feeling good is letting go and letting go is feeling good. That needs some packing as heroin is not letting go for example. But you have had a glimpse of the bodhi mind.

"glimpse after glimpse after glimpse after glimpse"
    ~ Sogyal Rinpoche

"In two words.... Be spacious. In two words... Be spacious"
    ~ Sogyal Rinpoche

Three lords of materialism (Trungpa). Materials. Beliefs. States. All three of these are materialism.

The physical experience is not important though it is pleausure. The importance is to recognize the significance of your experience to yourself. How does the experience fit into the awareness of your heart and wishes. The wishing place is reliable though those things (states etc) are not reliable. The path leads to the end of prapancha (google it).
    Zenshinbanned_crabsovaanataman
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @Jeffrey, Ajahn Sumedho talks about noticing space when you meditate, I've been mashing this up with some teachings from Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and I can sit for a lot longer mainly due to the fact that when I try this I stop trying to attain anything in meditation.

One thing that occurred was that I realised how insignificant I am on the scale of the universe it made me feel a little humbled.
    Jeffreyanataman
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    When this was sustained, bliss was possible. Else, it was back to the mundane.
    Let me see ... ever-so-blissful ice; ever-so-mundane water ... or is it the other way around? I always get confused. :)
    sovaGuianataman
  • Jeffrey said:

Feeling good is letting go and letting go is feeling good. That needs some packing as heroin is not letting go for example. But you have had a glimpse of the bodhi mind.

"glimpse after glimpse after glimpse after glimpse"
    ~ Sogyal Rinpoche

"In two words.... Be spacious. In two words... Be spacious"
    ~ Sogyal Rinpoche

Three lords of materialism (Trungpa). Materials. Beliefs. States. All three of these are materialism.

The physical experience is not important though it is pleausure. The importance is to recognize the significance of your experience to yourself. How does the experience fit into the awareness of your heart and wishes. The wishing place is reliable though those things (states etc) are not reliable. The path leads to the end of prapancha (google it).

Thank you so much for this post

lately I havent been able to feel anything and it is because I thought that I knew how to feel these feelings. But my problem was that I was trying to force these feelings with methods. In reality all I ever have to do is let go.
    Jeffreysova
  • Learn to let go.
    "For a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue, there is no need for an act of will, 'May freedom from remorse arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that freedom from remorse arises in a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue.

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

"For a joyful person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May rapture arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that rapture arises in a joyful person.

"For a rapturous person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my body be serene.' It is in the nature of things that a rapturous person grows serene in body.

"For a person serene in body, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I experience pleasure.' It is in the nature of things that a person serene in body experiences pleasure.

"For a person experiencing pleasure, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my mind grow concentrated.' It is in the nature of things that the mind of a person experiencing pleasure grows concentrated.

Act of will
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an11/an11.002.than.html
    misecmisc1Hamsakasova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

Just 30 minutes of meditation - bliss whenever thoughts were absent and an abundant space came into being. :)

Sounds like you're on the right track.
    pegembara said:

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

Yes, that's why the precepts are so important.
  • pegembara said:

They are certainly emphasised by some schools of Buddhadharma. Other schools do not use that model at all.
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

pegembara said:

They are certainly emphasised by some schools of Buddhadharma. Other schools do not use that model at all.
    So what model do they use? I though all schools of Buddhism paid attention to skillful behaviour, eg as included in the 6 perfections?
    BTW the quote I was responding to is a Theravada formulation, and Theravada does emphasise the precepts.
  • I am getting a sense of deja vu here.
    I have had four main teachers, three Vajrayana and one Dzogchen. Over a period of some decades I attended many retreats and numerous weekends, study days etc.
    Total number of teachers mentioning the precepts or 6 perfections ?
    Nil, on nil occasions..
    I realise that the Theravada and some vajra groups do emphasise those upaya.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    In my Zen tradition, some schools who talk a lot about the precepts & 6 perfections have had many scandelous exceptions to the manifestation of such teachings.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited January 2014
    While thinking No Thinking,
    I glimpse a blissful emotion
    about what,
    I'm not sure,
    but that it was about what wasn't
    just a moment ago.
    Ho-Hum.
    Ho-Hum.
    Now, where was I?
    anataman
  • By six perceptions are paramitas meant?
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

Total number of teachers mentioning the precepts or 6 perfections ?

Well, OK, this is a pan-Buddhist forum, so please tell us how you approach the question of skillful behaviour, or whatever you call it. What model do you use, and do you have any equivalent to the precepts or paramitas?
    Jeffrey said:

By six perceptions are paramitas meant?

Yes. I thought they were quite common in the Mahayana traditions.
  • @SpinyNorman, I think those are quite common.