Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tattooing in place of meditation

I've been tattooing myself in my free time, and that has seemingly replaced my daily meditation. I wasn't aware that I hadn't meditated until about three missed days. I'm not too worried either way, I just thought it was a curious development. I don't usually listen to music or anything and am at it for at least 4 consecutive hours per session.. I am also not using a machine but hand-poking, so it is silent. Very calming. I do want to get back into a meditation routine as I do have time to do both. However, somewhere my ego says I don't need to because I'm doing more "okay" dealing with mental illness and the ilk than usual. Anyway, I did not foresee any benefits to my state of mind or stress level by tattooing myself... so that is a pleasant surprise. I (humorously) wonder if one can make spiritual progress/connect with the true nature of mind through something like that.

sovaInvincible_summer

Comments

• Love the image, @EvenThird...
    As for the tattooing, I would say just to make sure you are putting thought and consideration into where and what you are permanently tattooing onto your body.... make sure your mind- and the intent - is clear when deciding to add more and more.

You know, tattooing can become habit forming, just like 'cutting'... it can become about the pain at hand and the masking of other issues... just sayin'.
    EvenThirdlobsterBarraThailandTom
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @MaryAnne
    Thought and consideration is certainly involved, but given the fact that I am practicing/learning on my own body, mistakes are bound to be made. It does not bother me, as tattoos are (luckily) only as permanent as your body. :)

I understand what you mean by habit forming, but I don't believe I'm using it to 'numb' out certain aspects of my life or anything. Im not too sensitive to pain and the sensation of tattooing pain isn't particularly a powerful or nice one for me.
    Receiving tattoos (no matter who is doing it) is addictive for many people, often due to the endorphin/adrenaline/body high. I admit, that is a nice feeling, but that has never been my goal.

You remind me that I should keep these things in check, and reflect on my motives.. so thank you for that. I will try to be honest with myself in regards to my habits. I certainly wouldn't want this to develop into something problematic.
    -
    I just re-read your post and needed to say thanks, again. It warms my heart when people are concerned about a stranger's well-being via the internet :D
    Davidsova
  • ^^ Now don't go makin' an ol' lady blush! ;)
    EvenThird
  • I (humorously) wonder if one can make spiritual progress/connect with the true nature of mind through something like that.
    Undoubtedly yes. Definitely not likely for most situations and people unless consciously aware of what they are doing.
    For example tattooing, having a sauna, walking can be relaxing. So can sex, drugs and rock and roll.
    It is subtle, this awareness whilst 'in the world'. It is however a big part of zen archery, motorbike maintenance, tea making, flower arranging etc.

Now that my new year resolution to become unenlightened comes into practice I will not be tattooing cats or going to rock and roll concerts mindfully - just not mindful enough yet . . .

What kind of 'progress' did you have in mind?
    EvenThirdDharmaMcBum
    edited January 2014
    lobster said:

What kind of 'progress' did you have in mind?

The beneficial/ordinary kind. Ideally, 'progress' in the most basic form.. Something not stagnant or at least not receding. Then again, I would gladly take one step back for two forward, down the line..
  • Ideally, 'progress' in the most basic form.
    I would recommend basic daily meditation. Maybe walking. :D

EvenThird
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Definitely set aside some time in the early day and some in the evening. Love it and know it is wonderful for you and the people around you. I think you'll start seeing the focus and general beneficial concentration / getting-into-the-zone-ness happen more frequently while you tattoo and stuff too.

Don't forget to smile and laugh. See the world in a grain of sand
    EvenThird
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    EvenThird said:

However, somewhere my ego says I don't need to

My zen teacher once said "Don't believe your own mind, it's a liar!" :lol:
    EvenThirdlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Eventhird
    OK,
    being a tattoo virgin myself, does getting stabbed thousands of times with a needle make a doctors injection, nothing to worry aboutl?
    Like long term sparring in a full contact martial art and eventually becoming so used to receiving physical blows. that you are almost oblivious to them?
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for all the comments everyone :)

@How
    I hadn't had shots in a very long time, but I needed a blood test and a few vaccinations before going to China. I was nervous beforehand, I guess due to conditioning.. but when the needles started I burst out laughing. I think I scared the nurse a little. But to answer your question, I'm so very used to needles that doctor's needles are nothing to worry about.

It took me a while to get to this point though. I had a great aversion to pain as a child, and was usually white as a sheet in the doctor's office. Dentists still give me the heebies.
    -
    Oh and as a side note, when getting tattooed often, your recovery time shortens and your skin heals completely in a matter of days rather than a couple weeks.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    But don't you think four hours a day is a bit excessive?
    @Barra
    How so? I make sure to take short breaks. I only cover a tiny area in even 4 hours. I do want to make a career out of it, and it is important to me. I'm not working at the moment either so I have a lot of free time. When I painted I often got in the zone and was at it for 6-8hrs or so before even taking a break. I also haven't been at it every day, maybe a bit closer to every other day...

Could you please explain why it seems excessive to you?
  • Like MaryAnne said tattoo can become habit forming, pretty much everyone I know who has had 1 gets another and another and another. I myself have none, I was going to get one on my member in a moment of madness after a bad breakup. but I luckily decided against it.

But yea there is attachment and suffering to be found everywhere, even in things like meditation. You can cause yourself a whole lot of suffering even in meditation. In my opinion you can go about your day and do what the hell you like as long as it is moral, pick it up and drop it when it needs to be dropped, just beware of the attachment involved.
    EvenThird
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I just wanted to make sure you had time for work, meals, relationships etc, but with your explanation it sounds like you have lots of time available for the other basics of living. Which brings us back to the very issue that you raised. You said you're not meditating because you're spending so much time tattooing. So you should be able to find twenty minutes to sit.

Maybe there is another reason.
    ThailandTom
  • Barra said:

I just wanted to make sure you had time for work, meals, relationships etc, but with your explanation it sounds like you have lots of time available for the other basics of living. Which brings us back to the very issue that you raised. You said you're not meditating because you're spending so much time tattooing. So you should be able to find twenty minutes to sit.

Maybe there is another reason.

I am in the same boat though, I have not meditated for, well I don't even know how long exactly but about 2-3 months. I just can't get myself to do it anymore and try to make little changes as I go in my day to day life.
    edited January 2014
    @ThailandTom
    I agree, I can see how anything can become a hinderance. I will be careful about my habits. For me, the first sit after a while is the hardest. If I can manage that, the rest are relatively easier to find the motivation for.

@Barra
    It doesn't interfere with my life in terms of relationships and living basics. However, I seemed to have shrugged off the need to meditate now that I have more things to do with myself/am quite mentally stable. Unless its art-related, I have slothful tendencies... I think lack of meditation is a manifestation of that. So is not doing the laundry. :p

But yes, I have more than enough time to meditate, I just have to push myself to start again. Today is as good a day as any!
  • Also remember @Even
    EvenThird said:

@ThailandTom
    I agree, I can see how anything can become a hinderance. I will be careful about my habits. For me, the first sit after a while is the hardest. If I can manage that, the rest are relatively easier to find the motivation for.

@Barra
    It doesn't interfere with my life in terms of relationships and living basics. However, I seemed to have shrugged off the need to meditate now that I have more things to do with myself/am quite mentally stable. Unless its art-related, I have slothful tendencies... I think lack of meditation is a manifestation of that. So is not doing the laundry. :p

But yes, I have more than enough time to meditate, I just have to push myself to start again. Today is as good a day as any!

Also remember @EvenThird pretty much anything can be used or considered a type of meditation if you have the right amount of concentration or Samadhi, which I have just realized is Thai for 'concentration'
    EvenThird
  • Today is as good a day as any!
    :bowdown:

Nobody becomes a Jedi by accident.

Already know you that which you need
    Master Yoda
    EvenThird
    @ThailandTom
    That is true, but because I don't know if thats something I've developed enough of,(&because I don't know, I probably haven't!) I think I should still supplement it with meditation.... At least until I become a Yogi Dharma Tattooer, and all my actions are meditation :p
    lobster