Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tool for death meditation

fivebellsfivebells Veteran
edited January 2014 in General Banter
... there's a new product called Tikker, a wristwatch that counts down your life, so you can watch on a large, dot-matrix display as the seconds you have left on Earth disappear down a black hole.

Your estimated time of death is, of course, just that — an estimate. Tikker uses an algorithm like the one used by the federal government to figure a person's life expectancy. But the effect is chilling, a sort of incessant grim reaper reminding you that time is running out.
Jeffrey

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Do they do one that counts the total number of future births before I get enlightened? :p
    BhikkhuJayasaraEvenThirdriverflow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

They do, but they couldn't fit the number on the screen.

:p
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In an essay, a Zen teacher once wrote that he wished people in the United States would find a better word than "death" -- a word that often carries with it either the suggestion of completion/loss or inflames the imagination with all sorts of heavenly or hellish or other-worldly scenarios.

The teacher favored, if I remember correctly, the Japanese word "senge" (I think I've got that right but welcome correctives). "Senge" is the word used for a monk's death and means roughly, "to change the place from which the Dharma is spoken." Since the place from which the Dharma is spoken is always changing, the word "senge" seems to carry with it a sense of continuum ... nothing fancy or holy or wise or scary or elevated ... continuum is just continuum. Fearing death and making up stories about what is called the "unknown" is just one expression of fearing life. I guess everyone addresses that issue in his or her own way.
    riverflow
  • I heard someone say the word "transition" instead of 'death'.... I kinda like it.
    As in: "There will come a day when I will be ready to 'transition' both physically and mentally..."

Yeah. No obvious positive expectations, or negative doom involved.
    Just........................ "transitioning".
    EvenThirdDandelion
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    "the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism."

The definition of death has nothing to do with anything that may happen after, only with this current body and mind.

We have such an aversion to death that goes way beyond coloring gray hair and using anti aging cream.. We dont even like the name and seek to change or lessen it.. So we say silly things like "they passed away" instead of they died.
    EvenThird
  • @genkaku, sometimes it's useful to contemplate impending physical aging, illness and death, too, though.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nothing really that new. There have been online calculators for such for many years. According to one I did several times, I have been dead for several years.
    MaryAnneDharmaMcBum
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Nothing really that new. There have been online calculators for such for many years. According to one I did several times, I have been dead for several years.

So this is actually your next incarnation? Technically :thumbsup:
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

vinlyn said:

So this is actually your next incarnation? Technically :thumbsup:
    Whew, that was close. I could have come back "born again".

DharmaMcBum