Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Having your cake and eating it too

Since Nov. 2012 I have meditated every day. But I think I have a tendancy to just think 'oh that's done' like I am punching in my time clock at work. So is there any way to get rid of that tendency to just think of meditation as a job? I mean when you are making sure you do your meditation?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    So you want to have a cake, but not eat it?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I want to have the daily meditation, but not eat the sense of it as a job.

Or I want to eat the daily meditation, want to have the excitement that I imagine could be there without the routine.
  • trying to use the Mindfulness to each and every work we do make the meditation and the life go together

when the 'trying' will be more frequent it will become a habit

Jeffreylobster

• Good morning, Mr. Hunt.
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves the recovery of a missing element designated "awareness." You may select any team members, but it is essential that the third member of your team be Shakyamuni Buddha, a highly capable professional yogi. You have as much time as required.
    As always, should any member of your team be caught, die or be enlightened, the Sangha will disavow all knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in five seconds.
    Good luck.
    howanatamanJeffreyDharmaMcBum
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I dunno @Jeffrey . . . meditation is often hard work! It sort of IS a 'job', in that it is practicing a discipline that will always need practice.

I have been meditating daily for only a few months, and I've already gone through a couple of periods of time where I found myself putting off meditation, as if it were an unpleasant task. I'd think "just get it over with already!"

MOST of the time, when my time to meditate approaches, I get a little anxiety. Turning off the lights, shutting down the audiobook or closing the real book, or just stopping whatever I'm doing in order to prepare, I feel some resistance. Once I set my timer and begin, I'm totally fine. But I can't really forget that for the first couple of months, meditation was extremely emotionally painful, often, so that's got to be the reason I feel a little twinge of anticipation. I've been in therapy dealing with post traumatic stuff, and of course it came to visit a LOT at first.

Meditation feels to me like such an important task, in the same way showing up for work or carrying out daily necessities. It is a thing to respect and never just blow off if I don't feel like it. So in a way, to me at least, it IS a kind of 'job' to be done whether pleasant or unpleasant, looked forward to or not.

Gassho :)
    maartenJeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

But I think I have a tendancy to just think 'oh that's done' like I am punching in my time clock at work.

Just carry on.
    lobsterJeffrey
  • Sometimes it IS a job. Sometimes when things feel most mechanical looking back you see that it was actually productive. Its not a good idea to have feelings ,positive or negative as a guide, which is one reason to have the guidance of a teacher.

person
  • Jeffrey said:

So is there any way to get rid of that tendency to just think of meditation as a job? I mean when you are making sure you do your meditation?

You mean you have not been initiated into the 'tantric tea cake' visualisation? Rinpoche Kipling will be notified. ;)

Basically:
    You visualise all your favourite cakes and puddings in front of you and dedicate them to the Buddhas, your teachers and all sentient fruit cakes. One by one you imagine eating the deliciousness (it is a hard job but someone has to do it) as slowly and savouringly as possible.

Meditation.
    OM mani PEME Yum!
    MaryAnneJeffreyDharmaMcBum
    And meditating every day is a significant achievement for a lay-Buddhist, there are plenty who don't manage this.
    lobsterDharmaMcBum
  • And meditating every day is a significant achievement for a lay-Buddhist, there are plenty who don't manage this.

True. I think it was a famous pianist who said ' if I don't practice everyday I notice the difference. If I don't practice for two days my family notices the difference. If I don't practice for three days the public notices the difference '..it has certainly been my experience with meditation.

howHamsaka
    Citta said:

And meditating every day is a significant achievement for a lay-Buddhist, there are plenty who don't manage this.

True. I think it was a famous pianist who said ' if I don't practice everyday I notice the difference. If I don't practice for two days my family notices the difference. If I don't practice for three days the public notices the difference '..it has certainly been my experience with meditation.
    Yes, it's like that old joke: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" ;)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I'll only eat the cake if its ice cream cake.
  • Are you as diligent as your greed, hate, and delusions? If not, then it is definitely a job.
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    Bake two cakes. Eat one, have the other.

I'd say keep up with the daily meditating, because that's important and it's awesome that you've been doing it. But then maybe meditate whenever else you can, just on a whim. Like, if you see a pleasant spot and think, "it would be nice to meditate there," then drop what you're doing and meditate there, even if it can only be for five minute. Or maybe you think, "I could go for some meditation right about now," then do it! Not because you feel like you should, but because you want to.
    Jeffrey
  • @Jeffrey, yes, do Jhana. It is cake for the mind.
    Jeffrey
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran

Yep. I think of myself as lay buddhist of sorts. When I meditate I do it when I feel I need to or want to and also around work. Sometimes I park my bus up and feel like sitting and meditating, so I do. Other times I feel like goin for a coffee and chatting to the folks in the coffee places in the market square, so I do. I do what I feel I need to do without any of it being a chore. I apply "Going with the flow" @Jeffrey

Jeffrey