Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happiness

Is happiness an emotion felt by the observed, or an assessment, made by the observer?

Comments

• Where is the line separating the two?
    MaryAnne
  • Happiness is felt in the body, right?
  • Happiness is an emotion. Emotions are 'felt' (experienced) in the mind.
  • I read in a chakra yoga book that some people feel emotions in the body and some feel in the mind. I was thinking of meditations I have had where my body glows with pleasure.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Zen smell warning. Good luck in experiencing one without the other.
    Zero
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @Jeffrey, You are right... I need to adjust what I said...
    emotions originate in the mind, but I agree with you- they can be felt in the physical body after that. :-)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    how said:

Zen smell warning. Good luck in experiencing one without the other.

Quite. All the Skandhas, including rupam..form ...arise together and are interdependant.

DavidEvenThirdZero
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I didn't believe it at first but it seems happiness is a choice.

To be honest, I can't rightly make out the question.
    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2014
    To be honest, I can't rightly make out the question.
    The question is:
    Do you feel happy
    or label your feelings as happy/unhappy . . . and then feel them?

Can I add a little emptiness of form?
    When a feeling, the stronger the better, arises during meditation (whatever that is), find out how it is different from its opposite feeling . . .

Did I mention form is emptiness lately? :)
  • It is an illusion.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    The final goal is contentment - not "happiness" of getting something which an emotional(fabricated) state.
    Solitude is happiness for one who is content,
    Who clearly sees and understands this Dhamma.
    Udana 10
    There is the case where a Bhikkhu is quite content with whatever old robe,
    quite content with whatever old alms-food, quite content with whatever hut,
    and quite content with whatever bitter medicine for curing sickness.
    This Dhamma is for one, who is content, not for one who is discontent!
    Thus was it said. And with reference to exactly this salient contentment
    with whatever little one has, was this simple, serene modesty well spoken...
    AN VIII 30
    http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/IV/Cause_of_Contentment.htm

EvenThirdhow
  • jaejae Veteran
    Aren't happiness and contentment the same thing?

hap·pi·ness
    ˈhapēnis/Submit
    noun
    the state of being happy.
    "she struggled to find happiness in her life"
    synonyms: pleasure, contentment, satisfaction, cheerfulness, merriment, gaiety, joy, joyfulness, joviality, jollity, glee, delight, good spirits, lightheartedness, well-being, enjoyment; More
    Translate happiness to
    Use over time for: happiness

con·tent1
    kənˈtent/
    adjective
    in a state of peaceful happiness.
    "he seemed more content, less bitter"
    synonyms: contented, satisfied, pleased, gratified, fulfilled, happy, cheerful, glad; More
    antonyms: discontented, dissatisfied
    satisfied with a certain level of achievement, good fortune, etc., and not wishing for more.
    "he had to be content with third place"
    verb
    verb: content; 3rd person present: contents; past tense: contented; past participle: contented; gerund or present participle: contenting
    satisfy (someone).
    "nothing would content her"
    synonyms: satisfy, please; More
    accept as adequate despite wanting more or better.
    "we contented ourselves with a few small purchases"
    noun
  • Contentment, to me, seems to imply less than happiness. Maybe just semantics, but I think there's a spectrum or continuum, with misery on one end, progressing through unhappiness, discontent, neutral, content, and happy.

I don't really think of happiness so much as an emotion, so much as a state of being. Emotions (anger, joy) come and go. Happiness is here if I decide to live in that part of my mind, and not here if I choose to live in another part.
  • Jae, how are you doing?
  • Make it last.
  • Is happiness an emotion felt by the observed, or an assessment, made by the observer?

With contentment there is no polarity.
    One can be content with what arises, happiness or unhappiness or other arisings.

This is part of why meditation leads to equanimity/stability/contentment.

By observing (yes a duality) the nature of our being, we come to see the waves of agitation, turmoil, disquiet, calm, meanderings, etc.

As we begin to settle in the space/emptiness/focus of our practice, more and more of our being becomes peaceable, at rest, content.

How does that make you feel? Empty? Content? Happy for a moment?

Watch what happens

:banghead:

Content?

:clap:

Happy now?

:wave:
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Steve_B ... Hi Steve, just popped in for a browse, I'm 'contently happy' thanks for asking how are you?.... The wheels came off my wagon boxing day and new years eve but I got out my tool kit and screwed them 'firmly' back on. I've made contact with a Buddhist group in my area so hoping to learn something there, been doing yoga for an hour a day and the exercise is certainly helping......too knackered to get to the fridge!!
    lobsterSteve_Banataman