Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What did I experience?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited January 2014 in Meditation
In my meditation today, I experienced something, but I am unable to describe it.

I was fully aware, awake. There was no pain or anxiety or any negative emotion. No boredom. No sensual pleasure. I wasn't asleep but fully awake.

What did I experience, then?

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    a thought .....
    betaboysova
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    This is what you experienced @betaboy:

'I was fully aware, awake. There was no pain or anxiety or any negative emotion. No boredom. No sensual pleasure. I wasn't asleep but fully awake.'

does that answer your question?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Was the monkey mind active or silent?
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    anataman said:

This is what you experienced @betaboy:

'I was fully aware, awake. There was no pain or anxiety or any negative emotion. No boredom. No sensual pleasure. I wasn't asleep but fully awake.'

does that answer your question?

No, but thanks for trying.

Next!
    Can't help you then?

Next!
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    would you call it clarity?

but if it's beyond words, what labels could one satisfactorily append? sometimes talk is just extra. no excess! :)

your time might be better spent reading a mahayana sutra. Vimalakirti ..
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

A good meditation? :p
  • no-thing
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    just posted this in another thread but it is very relevant to this as well

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/jhananumbers.html

particularly:

""So as a teacher, he tried to instill in his students these qualities of self-reliance, ingenuity, and a willingness to take risks and test things for themselves. He did that not only by talking about these qualities, but also by forcing you into situations where you'd have to develop them. Had he always been there to confirm for you that, "Yes, you've reached the third jhana," or, "No, that's only the second jhana," he would have short-circuited the qualities he was trying to instill. He, rather than your own powers of observation, would have been the authority on what was going on in your mind; and you would have been absolved of any responsibility for correctly evaluating what you had experienced. At the same time, he would have been feeding your childish desire to please or impress him, and undermining your ability to deal with the task at hand, which was how to develop your own powers of sensitivity to put an end to suffering and stress. As he once told me, "If I have to explain everything, you'll get used to having things handed to you on a platter. And then what will you do when problems come up in your meditation and you don't have any experience in figuring things out on your own?"

So, studying with him, I had to learn to take risks in the midst of uncertainties. If something interesting came up in the practice, I'd have to stick with it, observing it over time, before reaching any conclusions about it. Even then, I learned, the labels I applied to my experiences couldn't be chiseled in rock. They had to be more like post-it notes: convenient markers for my own reference that I might have to peel off and stick elsewhere as I became more familiar with the territory of my mind. This proved to be a valuable lesson that applied to all areas of my practice.

Still, Ajaan Fuang didn't leave me to reinvent the dharma wheel totally on my own. Experience had shown him that some approaches to concentration worked better than others for putting the mind in a position where it could exercise its ingenuity and accurately judge the results of its experiments, and he was very explicit in recommending those approaches. Among the points he emphasized were these:

Strong concentration is absolutely necessary for liberating insight. "Without a firm basis in concentration," he often said, "insight is just concepts." To see clearly the connections between stress and its causes, the mind has to be very steady and still. And to stay still, it requires the strong sense of well being that only strong concentration can provide.

To gain insight into a state of concentration, you have to stick with it for a long time. If you push impatiently from one level of concentration to the next, or if you try to analyze a new state of concentration too quickly after you've attained it, you never give it the chance to show its full potential and you don't give yourself the chance to familiarize yourself with it. So you have to keep working at it as a skill, something you can tap into in all situations. This enables you to see it from a variety of perspectives and to test it over time, to see if it really is as totally blissful, empty, and effortless as it may have seemed on first sight.""

read more at the link above
    Jeffrey
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    betaboy said:

In my meditation today, I experienced something, but I am unable to describe it.

I was fully aware, awake. There was no pain or anxiety or any negative emotion. No boredom. No sensual pleasure. I wasn't asleep but fully awake.

Why do you seek to describe it and how can you hope that someone else will tell you what you experienced?
  • betaboy said:

It's called "calm abiding".

• Do you think it was jhana?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Could be a good session, could be some kind of jhana or it could have been a projection of what you think should happen.

Was it a catalyst-free happiness?
    It was a meditation experience

Or SHOULD WE SAY YOU ATTAINED ENLIGHTENMENT. Great we need a western Buddha - now would be great!
    sova
  • Maybe there actually WERE negative emotions, boredom, anxiety, whatever but by dropping these "problems" you let them go and saw what was underneath with a broader perspective? Seems like what I experience when I basically stop caring and go into it with the attitude of "i'll see what happens next"
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Maybe it was gas.
    poptartEvenThirdChaz
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Access Concentration / Upacara Samadhi.
    Or Khanika Samadhi, if it lasted less than an hour or so.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

whatever it is, you still have questions to ask
    that means you do not know

so forget that experience now

never try to get 'that experience' again

if it will come again, let it come
    if it will not come again, let it not come

continue whatever meditation you have been doing
    you are 'on the way'

:)
    seeker242
  • Try to make it last, but dont grasp. It can be many things. We'll only know over time.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

In my meditation today, I experienced something, but I am unable to describe it

No improvement in description will allow you to contain it, for it has past and that which wishes to claim it only limits the greater worth of this present unfolding moment.