Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

waking up while awake?

Right- I wonder if there is a word for this - this has happened to me many times - when I suddenly "wake up" while already awake - that is, I suddenly get this clarity, this sense of presence, if you will, like "wow, I'm really here" where as previously you were just cruising along on autopilot

Comments

• Does your vision become clearer?
  • Jeffrey said:

Does your vision become clearer?

not so much vision, as the perception of "being present" - the mental state of going off "auto pilot" and waking up

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    It might be a nyam. Those nyams are related to perceiving reality as open, clear, and sensitive. They are not the true realization, but they appear as experiences. Many nyams are pleasurable or interesting.

I have only twice had one and it didn't come back!!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @yuriythebest
    I think your "waking up" from auto pilot, was a pretty complete description.
    It demonstrates the amount of control that of our own delusive conditioning has over us, that reality visits so infrequently.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I call it bringing the mind home!

As Thich Nhat Hanh put it
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    I just read something very similar from a Facebook friend -- he wrote that his one-year-old son dropped a toy and said "uh-oh" and he was struck, "slammed" is the word he used, by this intense realization of life. He had trouble describing it other than saying it felt like he had suddenly woken up.
  • Right- I wonder if there is a word for this - this has happened to me many times - when I suddenly "wake up" while already awake - that is, I suddenly get this clarity, this sense of presence, if you will, like "wow, I'm really here" where as previously you were just cruising along on autopilot

Read Ouspensky. You will understand it better.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    betaboy said:

Right- I wonder if there is a word for this - this has happened to me many times - when I suddenly "wake up" while already awake - that is, I suddenly get this clarity, this sense of presence, if you will, like "wow, I'm really here" where as previously you were just cruising along on autopilot

Read Ouspensky. You will understand it better.
    Who? And what?