Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantras. ?

as a practing Buddhist should i be reciting Mantras... If so which ones do i do? Also what's the difference between ganesha mantra and Buddhist Mantras?

Comments

• It's up to you.

Ganesha mantras are from the perspective of Hindu teachings whereas Buddhist mantras in the perspective of Buddhism.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    the importance of mantras depends on the tradition, but the real importance comes from your own experience and practice. If you feel they are beneficial and want to do them, then do them, if you feel they are not beneficial, then don't.

• Ganesh mantra is perfectly acceptable for some practicing Buddhists.

So his symbols are powerful and his heart is very sweet, and the beauty of Ganesha is that he is also very comical. He is very comical, he is very funny, very joyous, very much laughing, he dances, he is silly and he is also like a great king: he is royal.

Once I told Ganesha: “No matter what happens in my life, I will never forget you. I will make your name famous all over the world, although it already is.” So I could hardly do anything of that. So I decided to make the foundation ‘Ganesh foundation’. He is my foundation. These symbols are the very foundation of the Mahayana teachings.

http://www.jivanjili.org/ganesha_mantra.htm

om gam ganapataye namaha

:wave:
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I read elsewhere that a mantra, especially one that is essentially a name-- is for bringing to mind the qualities of that personage. So you'd chant the Medicine Buddha's chant to bring to mind his vows as sort of a model. Amitbha is all about being thankful for Amitabha's help.

I imagine it's the same idea with Ganesh. Buddhist cosmology is mostly compatible with other religions-- gods just get slotted in as yet another god from the realm of gods. Except Buddhist figure Hindu and Christian and other gods are mortal and none of them created the universe, which other religions might disagree about.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Whatever enables you to meditate.

Here - a little chanting gift, join in or just listen:

it's nice and simple and if you've got 2 hours, you will know if uttering the sacred syllable brings you to the present