Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mahayana, Vajrayana, Theravada - where do you sit with these schools? And why?

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
I am interested to know if and why any of you choose to align yourself with one particular school of Bhuddhism?

Is there any particular insight or practice that one school offers over another that sits with your understanding or being.

I am aligned with the Mahayana tradition, simply because the pranaparamita sutra demonstrates itself to me as that which it is: the perfection of transcendent wisdom.

Gaté,
gaté,
paragaté,
parasamgaté.
Bodhi!
Svaha!

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/heartsutra.html
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/heartstr.htm
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/heart_s2.pdf

And as we all have buddha nature, to become a boddhisattva and achieve enlightenment for each and everyone of us is compassion, virtue and wisdom perfected.

What is it that inspires you to follow a particular tradition and why?
VastmindcvalueInvincible_summer

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Gratitude....for a nice start to my day. :)

Without even 'trying' to think about it....after the first
    line...my mouth began to chant and I could hear the
    drum in the background of my ears....

*ding...ding.....ding*

OM-MA-NI-PAD-ME-HUM
    anatamancvaluelobsterInvincible_summer
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited January 2014
    anataman said:

I am interested to know if and why any of you choose to align yourself with one particular school of Bhuddhism?

Vajrayana. Just kinda how things/karma worked out.

So, no deep, searching, profound reasoning. Just where the path led.

TADYATHA OM BWA HA HA HA HO SOHA

PS: Almost forgot. Theraveda makes be break out in hives.
    anatamancvalueInvincible_summer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
  • Mahayana Pure Land with a touch of Zen. Simply love it. The Mahayana concept is so natural to me. It suits me very well. I have no conflict and no doubt with Mahayana teaching. Note: I was raised in a Catholic convent and only learnt about Buddhism after I grew up. Mahayana Buddhism makes a lot of senses to my mind.
    lobsterInvincible_summerParlaDharmaStraight_Man
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I mix and match, but have been Chinese Chan leaning recently.

The Tibetans got the level of engagement right-- they are hard core.
    The Chinese Mahayana got ethics right, especially with respects behavior towards non-human.
    Zen, Chan got meditation right, but so did Vispisanna in Therevada
    Contemporary Nichiren/SGI got diversity right, and they did this in the context of society generally still not known for being accepting of diversity.
    Nobody got woman's issues right. Mahayana and Vajrayana got it less wrong.
    I used to think that Therevada was less wrong with respect the role of mythology-- now I think they are all have fantastic cosmologies, supernatural elements, syncretism with non-Buddhist/non-Dharmic religions that have to be rationalized, subtracted, ignored, reworked, etc.
    Mahayana vows often are more interesting or pragmatic than the Therevada/Tibettan vinaya as a starting point for lay practice.

anatamanEvenThirdInvincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    anataman said:

I've been involved in most of the schools over the years, but these days mostly use Theravada stuff because I can sort of understand it. ;)
    anataman
  • I never made a conscious decision to select a school, I've just kind of been drawn to certain aspects. I guess I fall into Mahayana Pure Land, being drawn to Amitabha and Avalokitesvara, other bodhisattvas, and my desire to help other beings in this life and in the future. However, I've begun to eschew rituals and mantras, except for namo amitabha buddha, which I don't even do as often as I probably should.
    anatamanInvincible_summer
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    My first introduction to Buddhism was Zen, and this by an American writer/philosopher who was no longer (or maybe never was) a monk. I attended a Mahayana temple for while in the 90's. Even though I've committed myself fully to practice more recently, if I think about it for a while, Zen has more of a resonance with me. There are a list of Teachers I read and listen to all the time, but they are from all traditions. I've been reading an ebook about Chan Buddhism, there's something about it that draws me.

I suppose, unless there is a Buddhist version of a Universalist Church like there is in Christianity, when I commit to study under a teacher, I'll take up much more of a particular tradition. For now, it feels right to absorb as much as I can wherever it's to be found.

By the way, IS there a non-demoninational Buddhist tradition? Or would that function be served by the secular Buddhists?

Gassho :)
    Invincible_summer
  • Hamsaka said:

By the way, IS there a non-demoninational Buddhist tradition? Or would that function be served by the secular Buddhists?

Probably the secular Buddhists would be the closest thing to that.

These Unitarians welcome Buddhists.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalist_Association

I was thrown out of YinYana Buddhism for starting it, no one is allowed to join.
    http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10289

http://yinyana.tumblr.com/page/4
    anatamancvalueInvincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Sorta like Groucho Marx? "I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."
    lobsteranatamancvalue
    lobster said:

These Unitarians welcome Buddhists.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalist_Association

I was thrown out of YinYana Buddhism for starting it, no one is allowed to join.
    http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10289

http://yinyana.tumblr.com/page/4

I like the way you just make it up as you go along!

Perhaps I might deliberately bump into you one day whilst on my bike opposite the peace pagoda in battersea park. I am sure you will be easy to recognise - the one with the lob-sided attitude!

I'll give you a good ticking off for not watching where you're going, and 'snap' you with my apple. You'll probably mutter something I don't understand and then we'll just cycle off in different directions.
    lobster
    Dakini said:

Hamsaka said:

Probably the secular Buddhists would be the closest thing to that.
    I regard secular Buddhism as a distinct tradition because it has it's own beliefs, assumptions, methods of practice etc.
    Triratna ( ex-FWBO ) might be a candidate for a "non-denominational" tradition, since it draws together teachings and practices from a range of traditions - or maybe "pan-Buddhist" would be a better description?
    anataman
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Hamsaka said:

My first introduction to Buddhism was Zen, and this by an American writer/philosopher who was no longer (or maybe never was) a monk. I attended a Mahayana temple for while in the 90's. Even though I've committed myself fully to practice more recently, if I think about it for a while, Zen has more of a resonance with me. There are a list of Teachers I read and listen to all the time, but they are from all traditions. I've been reading an ebook about Chan Buddhism, there's something about it that draws me.

I suppose, unless there is a Buddhist version of a Universalist Church like there is in Christianity, when I commit to study under a teacher, I'll take up much more of a particular tradition. For now, it feels right to absorb as much as I can wherever it's to be found.

Thich Nhat Hanhs order of inter-being.

He is a Zen monk who many align with Mahayana although he uses mostly Theravada suttas.

It's called being non-sectarian.
    Hamsaka
    Thich Naht Hahn is one of my gurus. I often think of him when doing walking meditation.

The reason for this post is not to ignite the sectarian/non-sectarian debate, it is about finding out what in the 3 main schools people find inspirational.

I think most buddhists these days have so much information to hand that they can work with different teachings from different schools, but may find one school in particular suits their personality and is helpful to bring insight and which enables them to see the wisdom of buddhism.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I wasn't trying to ignite anything, lol... You asked a question and so I answered.

Thich Nhat Hanhs style of Zen suits me best but it is by its nature, non-sectarian. The Dalai Lama also often advises non-sectarianism but I have yet to see Thich Nhat Hanh say something that doesn't feel right and so I feel most at home with his teachings.

Also, the three main schools are many more than that as they each have been split often.
    anataman
    edited January 2014
    Phew!

I agree with you @ourself about Thich Nath Hahn. I read a page or two regularly of his book 'The Long Road Turns To Joy'

This is what I read today - enjoy:

Smile Like a Buddha p.10

As you make the effort to let go of your worries and anxieties, please smile. It may be just the beginning of a smile, but keep it there on your lips. It is very much like the buddha's half smile. As you learn to walk as the buddha walked, you can smile as he smiled. Why wait until you are completely transformed, completely awakened? You can start being a part-time buddha right now!

The half smile is the fruit of your awareness that you are here alive, walking. At the same time, it nurtures more peace and joy within you. Smiling as you practice walking meditation will keep your steps calm and peaceful, and give you a deep sense of ease. A smile refreshes your whole being and strengthens your practice. Don't be afraid to smile.

:)
    JeffreyHamsaka
    Thanks, that's one I have yet to read. Right now I'm in the middle of "A Love Letter to the Earth".
    ourself said:

He is a Zen monk who many align with Mahayana although he uses mostly Theravada suttas.

I think it would be more appropriate to say the TNH uses the Pali Canon as opposed to saying Theraveda Suttas.

All Mahayana traditions use the Pali. It's used in both Hinayana and Mahayana teaching. The influence of those scriptures even extends to Vajrayana.

Theraveda has no exclusive claim to those scriptures. We shouldn't refer to them as Theraveda.
    Invincible_summer
    edited January 2014
    Sorry@Chaz, I meant no offence. I agree with you there and was going by what he has written although I am sure he would agree with you as well.

Theravada likely wasn't.a thing until after there was a split in the Sangha.
  • Theravada is the most authentic.
    Mahayana has strong east asian influences.
    Vajrayana has evolved to cater to tibetan culture.
    'Whether you can observe a thing or not depends on the theory which you use. It is the theory which decides what can be observed.'

Albert Einstein
    hermitwin
  • btw, have you heard of the observer effect in quantum physics?
    anataman said:

'Whether you can observe a thing or not depends on the theory which you use. It is the theory which decides what can be observed.'

Albert Einstein

Yes. Quantum Physics is a
    Hobby of mine.

By observing something you affect it.

Isn't it amazing to think, that a human observer - something so insignificant on the scale of the universe - by observing itself has an effect when it observes itself. Quantum physics gives us free will. Hallelujah we can change ourselves. But we then have to take on board the observer, if they are skillfully observing themselves they can do good; if they are unskillfully doing so they may do bad.

But that is just me using the best current theory and applying it to Buddhism.

Heisenberg fortunately came
    up with the principle of uncertainty which has given rise to this forum
    BTW

Mettha
    ourself said:

I used to be involved in an Interbeing Sangha. If by "non-sectarian" you mean drawing on several traditions, then yes, Thich Nhat Hanh would qualify - though his tradition has a very specific approach to theory and practice.
    anataman
    Chaz said:

All Mahayana traditions use the Pali. It's used in both Hinayana and Mahayana teaching. The influence of those scriptures even extends to Vajrayana.
    Theraveda has no exclusive claim to those scriptures. We shouldn't refer to them as Theravada.

Fair comment, and probably Buddhists in all traditions would benefit from some familiarity with the Pali Canon.
    anatamanDavid

ourself said:

I used to be involved in an Interbeing Sangha. If by "non-sectarian" you mean drawing on several traditions, then yes, Thich Nhat Hanh would qualify - though his tradition has a very specific approach to theory and practice.
    That is what I mean, yes. I am non-sectarian and involved from time to time with a sangha that uses his lineage. I have not been there for a while but I have my fiance interested so as soon as the deep freeze tapers off, we will be going there together.

ourself said:

Sorry@Chaz, I meant no offence. I agree with you there and was going by what he has written although I am sure he would agree with you as well.

No offense taken. It is, however, a common misconception. People refer to the Pali as Theravedin, and that's egregiously incorrect.

All the Theravedins do is teach from the Pali, just like other schools do.

The "split" in the sangha occurred long before Theraveda existed. It's simply the product of cultural evolution in SE Asia. Hardly a "split".

Chaz said:

Theraveda has no exclusive claim to those scriptures. We shouldn't refer to them as Theravada.

Fair comment, and probably Buddhists in all traditions would benefit from some familiarity with the Pali Canon.
    Yep,

My Guru, who's a Kagyu & Nyingma lineage holder, insists that his students be versed in topics such as 4NT, 8FP, Nidanas, etc (all found in the Pali) before they commence Mahayana study and practice.

However, our's is a practice lineage and so we don't place the premium study that the Theravedins seem to.
    ourself said:

Hamsaka said:

Ah! Thanks for this. TNH is one of my 'go to' teachers, but it didn't click in my head about his Interbeing sangha being nondenominational.
    Chaz said:

ourself said:

No offense taken. It is, however, a common misconception. People refer to the Pali as Theravedin, and that's egregiously incorrect.

All the Theravedins do is teach from the Pali, just like other schools do.
    I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it so please forgive me but I thought the difference was that Theraveda doesn't add to the Pali. That to me, seems like why some would call it more "authentic". That's not my view, obviously because I see merit in many different ways.

An approach for every folk.

Dang, that was supposed to rhyme.
    The "split" in the sangha occurred long before Theraveda existed. It's simply the product of cultural evolution in SE Asia. Hardly a "split".
    Well, you're preaching to the choir here... There are a couple of communities or groups I like to meditate or chat with but the universe is my Sangha...

The Sangha couldn't be split if we tried in my honest opinion.

Hamsaka said:

Ah! Thanks for this. TNH is one of my 'go to' teachers, but it didn't click in my head about his Interbeing sangha being nondenominational.

Well, he's still Zen. He may be adopting other influences, but that doesn't make what he's doing non-denominational. It makes complete sense that he relies heavily on the the Pali. All Mahayana sanghas teach from those scriptures, especially to newcomers.

Chogyam Trungpa adapted all sorts of influences to create what we call Shambhala, but it's still firmly rooted in Kagyu and Nyingma - hardly non-denominational. In fact there's a ton of crossover in Tibetan lineages. Just because a Kagyu teacher offers Dzogchen from Nyingma teaching doesn't make what he's doing non-denominational.

Personally I don't think non-denominational Buddhism exists.

edited January 2014
    ourself said:

I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it so please forgive me but I thought the difference was that Theraveda doesn't add to the Pali.

That's essentially correct.

Mahayana doesn't add anything to the Pali, either. Nobody takes Mahayana suttras and try to pass it off as part of the Pali Canon.

Mahayana teaching are distinctly different from the teaching found in the Pali, although the Mahayana is said to build on a foundation set in the Pali Canon.

I guess you could say that Mahayana adds to the corpus of Buddhist teaching by way of the teachings of Nargarjuna and Asanga, but it could be turn back by saying the Theraveda rejects those teaching.

Who's right?

Who's wrong?

It's always a matter of opinion and not fact.

That to me, seems like why some would call it more "authentic".
    That's not my view, obviously because I see merit in many different ways.
    I would ask, more authentic than what?

An approach for every folk.

Dang, that was supposed to rhyme.

Yeah. Nice try, though!
    Oh, but it can be and most of the split you see is on forums like this one.

Out in the real world, most of the mundane issues we argue endlessly simply don't exist in any appreciable degree. People are too busy practicing with and learning from their teachers to concern themselves with what the most "authentic" form of Buddhism is, or what kind of bastards use words like Hinayana, or who eats what for dinner.

Online communities are sharply divided. There's a Dzogchen board that rose out of a sense of bad feelings on a more broad-based Mahayana board which was created as separate from a Theraveda board owned by the same people. You have boards bannin g other traditions like NKT and Soto. People dis groups like SGI. Taken as a whole, much of the online Buddhist community is hopelessly fractured and this bodes ill for real-world sangha because newbie see what's happening on line and think that all Buddhism is like this.
    Jeffrey
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    hermitwin said:

Theravada is the most authentic.

Curious... I wonder what the Japanese Vajrayana practicioners think about that, or the Chinese, Mongol and Indonesia vajrayana practitioners.
  • what do you think about the dalai lama which is in all but name
    a reincarnated god-king?

of course having lost his country to china, he is now a celebrity
    speaker and humanitarian touring the world.

how does that square with buddhist philosophy?

Nek777 said:

hermitwin said:

Theravada is the most authentic.

Curious... I wonder what the Japanese Vajrayana practicioners think about that, or the Chinese, Mongol and Indonesia vajrayana practitioners.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    hermitwin said:

what do you think about the dalai lama which is in all but name
    a reincarnated god-king?

I think that is what is called a red herring. Specifically, an attempted distraction from your misinformed stance on vajrayana evolving to "cater to Tibetan culture."
    JeffreyDavid
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I like Zen/Chan Buddhism for their stripped-down nature. However, I greatly admire Theravadan schools for trying to stay true to the original Pali suttas and vinaya.

I came to Buddhism interested primarily in Mahayana due to the Bodhisattva Vow and Heart Sutra (as well as for the reasons mentioned above re: Zen/Chan), but the more I read suttas and writings by Theravadan teachers, the more I find myself drawn to that tradition.

I've never been interested in Vajrayana or any of the esoteric schools for various reasons.
    cvalue
    Chaz said:

I haven't seen evidence of it either, in the same way the Universalist Unitarian church anyway. What I have seen is a 'welcoming' sentiment extended toward individuals from all traditions coming from within the various traditions, rather than a unified subset of Buddhism that is non-denomenational.
  • Hamsaka said:

Chaz said:

I haven't seen evidence of it either, in the same way the Universalist Unitarian church anyway. What I have seen is a 'welcoming' sentiment extended toward individuals from all traditions coming from within the various traditions, rather than a unified subset of Buddhism that is non-denomenational.
    Yes. I like it when people are non-evangelical to their tradition and I aspire to do the same. Meanwhile I also like to explain and share my tradition. I think most people actually come to a tradition from some human relationship. For example I hope to learn more about Christianity from my new girlfriend. People are more important than religions and I feel that is a Mahayana stance. People are more important than doctrine.
  • Every thing that you write is an opinion. Every thing that I write is an opinion too. So what makes you think your opinion is any better than mine ?

Nek777 said:

hermitwin said:

what do you think about the dalai lama which is in all but name
    a reincarnated god-king?

I think that is what is called a red herring. Specifically, an attempted distraction from your misinformed stance on vajrayana evolving to "cater to Tibetan culture."
    You can build opinions based on facts but you may not build facts based on opinion.
    anataman
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    hermitwin said:

Every thing that you write is an opinion. Every thing that I write is an opinion too. So what makes you think your opinion is any better than mine ?

If some one tells you that 2+2=5, would you allow that error as opinion?

Your mistake is assuming Vajrayana evolved for "Tibetan culture."
    Hamsaka said:

Chaz said:

I don't think it even makes sense to have a unified subset of Buddhism and also call it non-denominational.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I tend to have a Theravada leaning. I find the core teachings 4 NT's, 8FP and the three marks dukkha, annata, and annica, to be utterly truthful and profound in their insight. They are my main frame of study and contemplation. I love the beauty of Tibetan Buddhism and the simplicity found in Zen. I can study teachings from any of these lineages and find a treasure of insight and understanding. The Dharma comes in many forms, what suits your inclination? I love simplicity and being able to test and to scrutinize ideas and concepts, so my current practice resonates well with me.
    anataman
    edited January 2014
    Chaz said:

That's essentially correct.

Mahayana doesn't add anything to the Pali, either. Nobody takes Mahayana suttras and try to pass it off as part of the Pali Canon.

Mahayana teaching are distinctly different from the teaching found in the Pali, although the Mahayana is said to build on a foundation set in the Pali Canon.

I guess you could say that Mahayana adds to the corpus of Buddhist teaching by way of the teachings of Nargarjuna and Asanga, but it could be turn back by saying the Theraveda rejects those teaching.

Who's right?

Who's wrong?

It's always a matter of opinion and not fact.

Yes, the Pali was expounded on... Nagarjuna and the middle way between two truths is a good example. This is why I am non-sectarian.

It would be a logical mistake to say there is a sect that is non-sectarian. It is more like a movement or practice that anyone in any sect/lineage can claim.yes, TNH was ordained in Veitnamese Zen but he is non-sectarian by his definition.
    That to me, seems like why some would call it more "authentic".
    That's not my view, obviously because I see merit in many different ways.
    I would ask, more authentic than what?
    The other schools obviously. Like I said, it isn't my view but it has been raised in this thread by another poster.
    Oh, but it can be and most of the split you see is on forums like this one.

Out in the real world, most of the mundane issues we argue endlessly simply don't exist in any appreciable degree. People are too busy practicing with and learning from their teachers to concern themselves with what the most "authentic" form of Buddhism is, or what kind of bastards use words like Hinayana, or who eats what for dinner.

Online communities are sharply divided. There's a Dzogchen board that rose out of a sense of bad feelings on a more broad-based Mahayana board which was created as separate from a Theraveda board owned by the same people. You have boards bannin g other traditions like NKT and Soto. People dis groups like SGI. Taken as a whole, much of the online Buddhist community is hopelessly fractured and this bodes ill for real-world sangha because newbie see what's happening on line and think that all Buddhism is like this.
    In reality there is only one group and in Buddhism there can only be one Sangha. Nobody shares the exact same view as anyone else so in effect, there could be as many splits in the Sangha as there are Buddhists.

Because we see things differently, some will gravitate to some teachings more than others. That's just the nature of being unique.

There may be many schools of Buddhist thought but there is only one Sangha.

The quarrels between certain members of certain sects is irrelevant and only goes to show the disease of us and "them" is alive and well even within some Buddhists.

It may confuse some but the wise will take the lesson well.
    anatamancvalue
    Chaz said:

However, our's is a practice lineage and so we don't place the premium study that the Theravedins seem to.

Theravadans practice too. :p