Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

January Blues? The true nature of things revealed, or are we just S.A.D?

Hi guys, I really struggle at this time of year and although I try sunbeds etc, nothing seems to quite shift that sense of hollow emptiness that comes from being broke, cold and living in rainy grey Manchester ;-) Just wondering if anybody else shares this experience? Any tips? I've been reflecting on it a few days, trying to put ito words a few thoughts or reminders to myself... If anyone else struggles, please feel free to share your insights and thoughts...

Here are mine, I hope that they may be of use :-) Six Tips for Buddhists (and non-Buddhists alike) to Beat (or better understand) the January Blues xx

thedharma-farmer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/i-think-therefore-i-am-miserable-six.html

Hugs and metta,
D.F xx

May you all be well, happy, and free from suffering...

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    A good friend received a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer yesterday.
    The rain on my face today felt good compared to the specter of lossing the chance to feel such a thing.
    lobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I've always been the reverse of most people.. I love the cold(its been 4 degrees here the last few days! and I've been out in it doing my normal morning meditation) weather and dislike the hot weather. It's all part of our experiences and conditioning. I was a very sickly child who had major asthma and allergies, I needed weekly shots and an inhaler, the summer months were brutal on me, while the winter months were a breath of nice clean crisp air.

I still actually have asthma and allergies, but very minor compared to how I was as a child.

now in recent years through practice I've moved more towards the middle in the hate/like of cold/hot, but im not quite to equanimity regarding weather just yet ahaha.
  • Any tips?
    Yesterday I was digging out a buried 'breeze block' in some stony front garden to plant a holly tree. Turns out, after a conversation with the deaf postman it was a buried mains electricity box. Oops. Good luck the pick was unavailable . . . would have gone straight through it and be dead and even worse cut off the electricity for the whole area. :crazy:

Now that I am still alive, what to do?
    January is it? Manchester is it?
    http://www.manchestercommunitycentral.org/volunteer-centre/volunteering-opportunities

Sorry to hear you are broke

The_Dharma_Farmeranataman
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    Vitamin D helps with winter S.A.D. if you haven't tried that already. Double the intake if you are deficient. My partner has summer S.A.D. which is a whole other animal...
  • Hi guys, I really struggle at this time of year and although I try sunbeds etc, nothing seems to quite shift that sense of hollow emptiness that comes from being broke, cold and living in rainy grey Manchester ;-) Just wondering if anybody else shares this experience? Any tips? I've been reflecting on it a few days, trying to put ito words a few thoughts or reminders to myself... If anyone else struggles, please feel free to share your insights and thoughts...

Here are mine, I hope that they may be of use :-) Six Tips for Buddhists (and non-Buddhists alike) to Beat (or better understand) the January Blues xx

thedharma-farmer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/i-think-therefore-i-am-miserable-six.html

Hugs and metta,
    D.F xx

May you all be well, happy, and free from suffering...

I would have a hollow emptiness too if I am broke. I think it is important for a person to solve the bread and butter issues first. Otherwise, there is no Nirvana to talk of.
    The_Dharma_FarmerDharmaMcBum