Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New: Ranks

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited January 2014 in NewBuddhist.com
I've added "Ranks" which will give you status as "New" (0-19 posts), "Explorer" (20-99 posts), or "Veteran" (100+ posts). This isn't an exercise in forum vanity. It's a practical way of managing spam and reducing the amount of false-positives that put legitimate member comments into the spam queue.

Folks with the "Explorer" rank will bypass the spam filter, and "Veterans" will additionally get the "Title" and "Location" fields next to their names. It's a simple metric to say "you're not a spammer or you couldn't have made this many comments" before granting you some extra features that could be abused.

You will get a little popup announcing your new Rank when it triggers, probably the next time you sign in.
anatamancvalueKundo

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    What are the "levels" for, do we get experience points to put towards skills in fighting evil? :-P
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I got a mssg saying I'd been promoted to Level 3. wassup?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ('Snapperhead'. Love it.....)
    Vastmind
    Chaz said:

I got a mssg saying I'd been promoted to Level 3. wassup?

Im level 3 as well, lets go kill some more rats to make level 4. Then i can get a new spell :-P
    EvenThird
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    You've now been given a better office in virtual space.
    Sure, but do you get a window? It's the window that counts, right?
    Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    and is it window98?
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    A window?..... Do I get a plant too?....... :)
    Spathyphillum Wallisii... very good atmospheric anti-pollutant. Same as Chlorophytum Comosum.
    Vastmind
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    "Level 1-3" was me forgetting to change the default names. They are now named as described in the original post.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • At last some respect.
    I'm glad to see my my constant drivel has finally earned me a badge of honour. :clap:
    VastmindNevermind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    New/ explorer/ veteran?????

New -Anyone open eyed and bushy tailed
    Explorer -Navigating ones koans challenging waters.
    Veteran -Sitting is a smoky legion by yourself staring into a pint of life's bitters.

Hmmm Perhaps new terms to reflect the gravitis of our new positions.
    .....dibs on God Emperor
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I'm a veteran! Yeah! Do I get pension benefits and health insurance?
    VastmindKundo
    no but you get lots of pretty 'medals' to pin across your chest.....
    matthewmartinVastmind
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2014
    how said:

New/ explorer/ veteran?????

New -Anyone open eyed and bushy tailed
    Explorer -Navigating ones koans challenging waters.
    Veteran -Sitting is a smoky legion by yourself staring into a pint of life's bitters.

Hmmm Perhaps new terms to reflect the gravitis of our new positions.
    .....dibs on God Emperor

Pfft. That's what you think. I've been God Emperor of NewBuddhist since 2006.
    Linc
    And I gave The Great One, his Avatar.... fitting, don't you think?
    WonderingSeeker
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    :D
  • Lincoln said:

I've added "Ranks" which will give you status as "New" (0-19 posts), "Explorer" (20-99 posts), or "Veteran" (100+ posts). This isn't an exercise in forum vanity. It's a practical way of managing spam and reducing the amount of false-positives that put legitimate member comments into the spam queue.

Oh, well, as long as it's not an exercise in egoic attachment, then OK! :thumbsup:

;)

Linc
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    You can't tell @Jayantha has played mmorpgs can you?

You can't tell @Jayantha has played mmorpgs can you?

Played Rpgs since rpgs existed. ;-)
  • Baldrur's Gate?
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Baldur's Gate was a great game @Jeffrey, but I began playing RPGs with pencils, paper and dice in the 1980s.
    edited January 2014
    "New/Explorer/Veteran" were less carefully considered than "uh I need 3 ranks right now... this will do." :D I'm open to suggestions if you have a reasoned idea that fits.

Not interested in "Enlightened" or other spiritual ones :p Methinks your forum posts have no bearing on that.
    DharmaMcBumEvenThirdWonderingSeeker
  • I played DnD in the 80s also. I got up to 4th level with one group and with just me and my friend (me DMing and also playing) I got to 10th level (I remember because I had a stronghold).

On topic I think whatever helps versus spam is good. We already get badges for number of posts so it is just a anti-spam tactic and not a carrot or stick.
    Jeffrey said:

Baldrur's Gate?

Baldur's Gate was a great game @Jeffrey, but I began playing RPGs with pencils, paper and dice in the 1980s.

Same.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Lincoln said:

"New/Explorer/Veteran" were less carefully
    considered than "uh I need 3 ranks right now... this will do." :D I'm open to suggestions if you have a reasoned idea that fits.

Not interested in "Enlightened" or other spiritual ones :p Methinks your forum posts have no bearing on that.

# paper trained

# potty trained

# depends dependent?

Yah yah..I won't give up my day job.
  • Lincoln said:

"New/Explorer/Veteran" were less carefully considered than "uh I need 3 ranks right now... this will do." :D I'm open to suggestions if you have a reasoned idea that fits.

My first thought was Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. But that's a bit offensive.

How about

Clueless Novice

Karma Chameleon

Dharma Lama

lobster
    poptart said:

Lincoln said:

My first thought was Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. But that's a bit offensive.

How about

Clueless Novice

Karma Chameleon

Dharma Lama

Dharma lama or drama lama? For this place lol.

More dhamma, less drama.
    DharmaMcBumWonderingSeekerlobster
  • Jayantha said:

Dharma lama or drama lama? For this place lol.

Drama lama was my first thought, funnily enough. :)
    Really? This place is pretty drama free compare to most of
    my environments IRL...workplace is total political drama....then
    the house is teen-age drama...hahaha..the house is something
    needs fixing always drama......this place is chill for
    me.....hahaha
    how
  • Dang... I been here since Oct 2012 and still a newbie, I better get post in'...
  • know what I mean ;)
    Vastmindanatamanpoptartmaarten
    I sure do! Hi.... :) See you around ;)
    ThaiLotus
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Let's see how I rank...

Apparently I'm a veteran. I Gus's that means I'm seasoned in war.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I think that if our ranking system doesn't adopt ever increasingly offensive labels , then this forum will become a verbal twerking site by those wishing to attain veteran
    status.
    I actually made the thresholds that low specifically so people didn't feel like they need to post a ton. :p
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @Lincoln - What exactly is a "snapperhead"?

@how - you might need to explain what a "smoky legion" is. In Canada, veterans of the Armed Forces have social clubs that they call "The Legion". They are not allowed to smoke there anymore, thank goodness! (not that I spend any time there....)

@Lincoln - I was wondering how some people got to have their location added. For me you could put -soto zennie wandering in a the fog in Bucolic Victoria British Columbia - on the far left coast of Canada.
  • Quite like the suggestions so far . . . maybe they could be randomised
    I am still trying to work out if this is in order:
    Beginners Mind
    Mined out
    Mindless

or we could have seasonal ones so for example Easter:
    bunny
    funny
    honey

or Tantric:
    Bhumi
    Baby Boomer
    Bummer

or Theravadin:
    Pleb
    Sangha
    Terminator

or Zen:
    mounting
    know mounting
    mountain

:o
    Vastmindpoptart
    lobster said:

Quite like the suggestions so far . . . maybe they could be randomised
    I am still trying to work out if this is in order:
    Beginners Mind
    Mined out
    Mindless

or we could have seasonal ones so for example Easter:
    bunny
    funny
    honey

or Tantric:
    Bhumi
    Baby Boomer
    Bummer

or Theravadin:
    Pleb
    Sangha
    Terminator

or Zen:
    mounting
    know mounting
    mountain

:o

I can go from a pleb to a terminator!? dang no wonder I like Theravada.

"I'll be back" holds new meaning.
    Davidlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Barra said:

I was wondering how some people got to have their location added. For me you could put -soto zennie wandering in a the fog in Bucolic Victoria British Columbia - on the far left coast of Canada.

Click your own name, then click edit profile near top right. :)

p.s. I'm going to BC in two days! :)

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    @seeker242 - where in BC are you going? What city? What hotel will you be staying in?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Going skiing at Whistler. :) Staying in Whistler village. Market place lodge I think it's called. :)
    Barra said:

@seeker242 - where in BC are you going? What city? What hotel will you be staying in?

"seeker242 - you`ll love it! Its a long way from Florida, and way snowier!
    (there is no snow where I live)
    seeker242
    Barra said:

@Lincoln - What exactly is a "snapperhead"?

An idiot, a dolt, a fool, a man who speaks rubbish.

Someone, in brief, who is actually about as far removed from what Lincoln actually is, as you could ever hope to get.

edited January 2014
    federica said:

Someone, in brief, who is actually about as far removed from what Lincoln actually is, as you could ever hope to get.

Funny you should say that. I actually got the title nearly a decade ago from another moderator on Icrontic. :lol:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Hey, I thought it was just the moderators who could state their title and location - just realised how to do it by editing profile - gosh this site is getting more fun each day!
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    woohoo! level 3! time to slay the Cthulu!!!!!!
    Lincoln said:

federica said:

Funny you should say that. I actually got the title nearly a decade ago from another moderator on Icrontic. :lol:
    If it's who I think it might be, I wouldn't take him too seriously.... You know what he's like.....:p