Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

power of positive affirmations

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
Hi friends :wave:

Today i would like to share with you some wonderful life-changing tips! (like an infomercial but i'm not selling anything)

Positive affirmations ! This is self-explanatory; basically a statement you make that may or may not currently be true, but through the sheer brilliance of reality, comes to fruition based on your positive intent.

So rather than try and pull out that molar of desire in the rear of your mouth full-force, why not transmute your desires into wholesome, light-instilling habits and encumberations, making it easier (and nicer) for future "you" to let go of the unnecessary and unwholesome.

Think of something you really want, something that would improve the quality of your life, and the quality of life of those around you. Something like "a job" or "transportation" or "a perfect spouse" are good ones. These are pretty fundamental, and most lay practitioners, regular ol' peeps, and e'rrbody in general appreciates these things.

First, have no doubts that you can have the perfect dwelling, the perfect companions, the perfect traveling.

And here's what you can do:

Make a brief list of positive affirmations. If it's about a job or career or lifestyle in general, list qualities that you would love to have/see/experience.

"lots of time for reflection"
"travel"
"flexibility"
"allows me to help others"
"wholesome"

whittle down your list of qualities regularly. Keep 'em on the back burners of the jet engines of your mind.

Maybe for your ideal partner (or qualities you'd simply like to see more of in your current partner)

"patient"
"kind"
"understanding"
"spontaneous"
"funny"
"insightful"
"mellow"

and whittle it down. Positive statements, so don't negate or try to avoid things, but just talk about qualities you wish to see.

And, perhaps the most vital part, is to ask your friends, family, and people who have similar needs as you what their ideal Blank would have/be like.

if you need an awesome job, ask someone you know who also needs a job what their dream job would be. And encourage them that they can get it. It's possible! Anything is possible! It's life! Flows all ways!

I have never read that book "the Secret" but I think someone told me that this has similar reverberations. That does not surprise me, because these are really beautiful techniques. In Buddhishy terms, essentially it is aligned with the dharma, cultivating right speech, to be helpful, to be nurturing, to be kind, and to be sincerely interested in the good wayfaring (wellfare) of beings [including yourself].

You are welcome to post lists of the qualities you'd wish to see more of, in your life, in the world, in your spouse, in your perfect career, in whatever. Just, as mentioned, keep the affirmations in the positive tense. We are birds and we are magnets, attracting what we sing. Sing beautifully, and don't fret if someone sings out of tune. It is one grand harmony, and by singing beautiful songs we create our beautiful world.

May this be well received.

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
  • Nothing to do with Dharma..which is the art of seeing what is. Not making a preferred reality
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Citta said:

Nothing to do with Dharma..which is the art of seeing what is. Not making a preferred reality

There are three turnings.

Citta said:

Nothing to do with Dharma..which is the art of seeing what is. Not making a preferred reality

Upon more heartful reflection, I understand what you mean @Citta. I am but a novice.. as far as I comprehend this Dharma it is not only for ultimate investigation of reality but also making and nurturing conditions which are conducive to contemplation and reclining into the lawn chair of Reality.

Thanks for setting me on the right track :) it's true. The goal of the path should be in mind.
    Vastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    My wife is hooking me up with a life coach. Not sure what I can do to help a life coach. Lol

However, back to the point of the thread. Who or what needs positive affirmation?
    @anataman
    the world is shaped and created by our thoughts

"what you think, you become" - Buddha

to answer your question, the beautiful paradise you wish future generations of beings to inherit needs positive affirmations :)
  • I have no such wish . I with for future generations that they realise complete Unexcelled Awakening. Not paradise.
    The Buddha did not say 'what you think you become ' that's from a poster.
    What he said was ' mind is the chief ' the context was in becoming awakened and recognising the nature of things. Not in attempting to manipulate the world.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    sova said:

@anataman
    the world is shaped and created by our thoughts

"what you think, you become" - Buddha

Ugh....
    Sorry to interject, but this is not what the Buddha stated....

This is probably the most mis-quoted and mis-translated Dhammapada phrase of the lot....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    here is the correctly-translated passage:

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

From here.

thanks @frederica

@Citta good

since what i wrote is apparently not found useful by anyone i will just delete this thread

• It may well be useful @sova. It just is not the ruthless radicalism of the Buddha.
    Tosh