Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and the 'Sky-like' nature of mind

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
Following on from a previous thread. I would like to discuss further the 'sky-like nature of mind'

It is apparent that 'pure awareness' is not necessarily an 'acceptable view' of our true nature, especially to our self-concept, but for whatever reason or obstruction that comes to mind, there must be something we can truly relate to, and say, 'I am not this but, but I can be this but I am also not this', even though it may be paradoxicall.

The above may even be construed as a 'conceited untruth' or delusion, but regardless of a persons intelligence or ability, they can experience through the practice of meditation this thing that is at the same time nothing but can completely fulfill them with hope, understanding, insight and even, dare I say it a wisdom experience, that is fulfilling and liberating and spur them on, especially when they have completely understood the 3 marks of conditioned being.

I may be completely wrong but I would like to offer this: if one chooses to deny or admit in their meditative experience that they can evoke, or experience that they have buddha nature this should should not be instantly dismissed, but analysed and questioned. It is the buddha's way.

Meditation is bringing the mind home (sometimes kicking and screaming) to its natural state. When you are in a meditative state I merely suggest that you are abiding in the field of awareness where phenomena with its properties that are prescribed by the three marks of existence have profound and significant meaning - annatta (the concept of no self), dukkha (the concept of suffering, or unsatisfactoriness) and anicca (impermanence), and see them for what they are.

You can then listen to the monkey mind, or reside in peace and stillness with the monkey-mind chattering away.

Buddhism, is not about about clinging on to 2500 years of interpretations of what buddhism is, its about what you are and wish to be, for the benefit of you and everyone else.

Sky like nature of mind is being open to everything, and letting it be.

Mettha
xxx

jaelobstercvalueTheswingisyellowsova

Comments

• how long it did take you to have the above understanding?

during that period of time what have you been doing to get this understanding?

without reading or listening to Buddha's Teaching (from whatever tradition) do you think you could come to the above understanding?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    In answer to your questions @upekka

I have had this understanding or misunderstanding for some time but never formally written it down. 20 years I have stated I am a buddhist after I learned what Buddhism was.

I have watched myself and studied everything around me

No I would never have had something to concentrate my mind enough to reach any conclusion unless Buddhism had entered my awareness

sova
  • The Buddha Nurture is very subtle.
    The Buddha Nature as wide as the sky . . .

We nurture people and our environment and we 'let be there spaciousness'. In other words not constricting their nature to the dumber dharma but encouraging their potential, their way and their solution.

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell02.htm

. . . well that is my plan :wave:
    anataman
  • anataman said:

I would never have had something to concentrate my mind enough to reach any conclusion unless Buddhism had entered my awareness

:)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    anataman said:

Do you see this openess and letting be as a practice, or as a result of practice?
  • It either is already the case, or it's not at all.
    How could it be a subject for practise ?
    That isn't a zenny conundrum
    If the nature of mind is skylike how could any practice do anything but cloud it ?
    However maintaining the View of its sky like nature..that takes work and the support of Sangha.
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

It either is already the case, or it's not at all.

As @anataman mentioned in the OP, "Meditation is bringing the mind home (sometimes kicking and screaming) to its natural state", where presumably it's natural state is sky-like.
    Which implies that practice is required to experience the sky-like nature of mind.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    See my avatar. Working on going from that - to this....
    anataman

anataman said:

Do you see this openess and letting be as a practice, or as a result of practice?
    Without doubt it has come as a result of practice. To answer @Citta as well
    Interestingly the more I have learned to let things go and be the easier it is to be 'sky-like'. That is why letting go of the dharma is important as well - it can cloud things a little too much at times wrestling with concepts causes stress. Obviously to see things more clearly will require further practice and study, but perhaps that is for the pure land and not this one. Too much karma to deal with. Lol
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Sky-like nature of mind"
    Why limit it to just the sky? Why not the whole entire universe and beyond that, 10 times? :D
    anataman
  • Citta said:

It either is rd. t t the case, or it's not at all.

As @anataman mentioned in the OP, "Meditation is bringing the mind home (sometimes kicking and screaming) to its natural state", where presumably it's natural state is sky-like.
    Which implies that practice is required to experience the sky-like nature of mind.
    Which would require a second mind in addition to the one that is sky like. And a third to bring the second one home to the first.tHow many minds have we got ?
    edited January 2014
    Well @Citta there is the big mind Rigpa as Sogyal would say and then all these billions of little minds running around over the planet all sharing the same big mind. Lol

Fleas have smaller fleas to irritate and bite em. Smaller fleas have even smaller fleas and so ad infintum.
    Zenshinlobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    No anatman, there is not two. All duality is falsely imagined as some Zen bloke said.
    Big fleas and little fleas alike arise in Great Emptiness and return to Great Emptiness.
    Zenshin
    edited January 2014
    I do not disagree with you @Citta as you are not really there to argue with. But as you are subjectively arguing with my subjective self the sky like nature of mind justs lets us get on with it. Rigpa! Big mind. Self little mind. Form is emptiness and emptiness is form.

Mettha
    Zenshinsova
  • ' Form is emptiness, we can just get our heads round that. But emptiness is form ? That takes a lifetime. '

C.T.R.
    anatamanVastmindsova
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ Quote of the week...
    sova
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

Citta said:

Which would require a second mind in addition to the one that is sky like. And a third to bring the second one home to the first.tHow many minds have we got ?
    No, it's just awareness of our state of mind. I'm suggesting that without practice we don't experience a sky-like state of mind.
    anataman said:

Without doubt it has come as a result of practice.
    Interestingly the more I have learned to let things go and be the easier it is to be 'sky-like'.
    I remember Sogyal Rinpoche often talked about developing "spaciousness" in meditation.
    seeker242 said:

"Sky-like nature of mind"
    Why limit it to just the sky? Why not the whole entire universe and beyond that, 10 times? :D

Yes, let's go for infinite space!
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014

Citta said:

Citta said:

No, it's just awareness of our state of mind. I'm suggesting that without practice we don't experience a sky-like state of mind.
    If 'we' experience , or if sky like mind is an experience, it would not be sky like would it.
    Who or what experiences our state of mind ? If there is an experiencer it would be an infinite regression.
    Sky like mind is always the case. It is a priori.
    ' Experience ' happens in the absence of that View.
  • I think that there are inherent problems in interpreting a Vajrayana metaphor from a Sutrayana perspective.
    ZenshinJeffrey
  • @Citta, thinking about this blows my mind.

sky like awareness must be within our awareness or we wouldn't be able to talk about it. How can something outside our awarenesss be noticed by us?
    Did I say it was beyond? I thought I was saying it as it is. We are that nature. Nothing going beyond that is there?
  • anataman said:

Did I say it was beyond? I thought I was saying it as it is. We are that nature. Nothing going beyond that is there?

I wasn't contradicting you anataman. I was merely expressing that my mind was blown by the question of 'where is skylike awareness' and 'who sees it'?
    anataman
    I will have to read my op again to see where I over complicated my awareness..

No it is still there calmly abiding and settled whilst I get distracted again and again.
  • anataman said:

it is still there calmly abiding and settled whilst I get distracted again and again.

True

anataman
    Jeffrey said:

anataman said:

I wasn't contradicting you anataman. I was merely expressing that my mind was blown by the question of 'where is skylike awareness' and 'who sees it'?
    Apologies if there have been some misunderstandings along the thread, but I have been using the smartphone a little over tha last few days and it seems that 3g has a lot to answer for in terms of data transfer. So there may have been a few cross-wires along the way in this thread - but thats life.
    Citta said:

I still don't get it. You seem to be saying that when there is no experience there is the sky-like nature of mind?
    But isn't there always experience of some sort, however subtle?
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

I think that there are inherent problems in interpreting a Vajrayana metaphor from a Sutrayana perspective.

Only if you are unable to clearly explain the metaphor without excessive use of jargon.

• I do believe you have missed my point. I don't interpret Vajrayana metaphors from a Sutrayana viewpoint. I am saying that those that do have problems.
    The idea of the 'skylike' nature mind is not found in the Theravada.
    I don't see the point of dragging it in through the back door.
  • Citta said:

I still don't get it. You seem to be saying that when there is no experience there is the sky-like nature of mind?
    I am saying that the View does not result from experience. If it did it would simply be another conditioned phenomenon.
    Citta said:

The idea of the 'skylike' nature mind is not found in the Theravada.
    I don't see the point of dragging it in through the back door.

I'm not asking you to, I'm asking you to explain it clearly.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I don't think that you are disposed to listen.
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

Citta said:

I am saying that the View does not result from experience. If it did it would simply be another conditioned phenomenon.
    Please say what the "View" actually is, and how it relates to sky-like mind.

Citta said:

I don't think that you are disposed to listen.

If I wasn't disposed to listen I wouldn't be asking these questions. Again, can you please clearly explain the metaphor of sky-like mind?
    edited January 2014
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_(Buddhism)

Afraid this might set @Citta off when he realises that the view is conditioned. SO he has had an erroneous view all the time :-)
    anataman said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_(Buddhism)

Afraid this might set @Citta off when he realises that the view is conditioned. SO he has had an erroneous view all the time :-)

In Dzogchen the "View" has a specific meaning - I can't remember what it is but hopefully Citta or somebody else can explain what it in a clear and non-jargony way.
    I tell you what I'm going to get my Dzogchen manual down and find out for you. It's 'The Practice of Dzogchen' by Longchen Rabjam translated by Tulku Throndup - quite a read but it gets a bit heavy, so I may be some time getting back on this.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I am quite happy to read your opinions...please continue .
    Personally I have said all I want to say on the subject.
    If anyone wants to pursue the matter of the Dzogchen View then I would recommend w.w.w.vajracakra.com.

-
    _/\_
    Ha Ha Ha

It's really good because it all depends on your view?

What does

-
    _/\_

mean - are we playing hangman Holmes?
    Citta said:

I don't see why you can't give a basic definition of the View, having introduced it into the discussion. :-/
    edited January 2014
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman ....no offence but it looks like something out of the kama sutra :o

(have I missed something?)
    anataman
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman... just joined Fifth Precept Meditation Group on face book and read this I thought you may like it....

"Imagine your ordinary thought ridden emotional self as a block of ice left out in the sun. Allow the ice of confusion to melt away in the sunlight of your meditation. Let the peace of 'calm abiding' work on you by gathering your scattered mind through mindfulness and awaken in you the wisdom of 'clear seeing'. And you will find all your negativity disarmed and your confusion will evaporate like mist into the vast and stainless sky of your true nature."

~ Sogyal Rinpoche
    anataman
    @jae if I could exist in this depicted state forever I will have achieved my goal and sit in the primordial Buddha state!

Look up kama - god of love and opposite of Mara

What is the meaning of a sutra - something to be understood by the general public or laity.

Mettha
    jae said:

@anataman... just joined Fifth Precept Meditation Group on face book and read this I thought you may like it....

"Imagine your ordinary thought ridden emotional self as a block of ice left out in the sun. Allow the ice of confusion to melt away in the sunlight of your meditation. Let the peace of 'calm abiding' work on you by gathering your scattered mind through mindfulness and awaken in you the wisdom of 'clear seeing'. And you will find all your negativity disarmed and your confusion will evaporate like mist into the vast and stainless sky of your true nature."

~ Sogyal Rinpoche

'Slow down girl, you move to fast, you got to make the moments last'

Sounds like you are sticking your head out of the car window on a hot summers day with the wind blowing through your curly locks and with the stereo blaring out. Just grateful to be alive sometimes!
    jae

Citta said:

I don't see why you can't give a basic definition of the View, having introduced it into the discussion. :-/
    Vastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Yup, that's me. Constipated and proud. Which is why my views would be of no help.
    However there are those on www.vajracakra.com who are neither constipated nor proud.
    Why not put your questions to them Norman ?
    As I have said, I have opinions of my own worth considering.
    And I was wrong to introduce the topic into the thread.
    anataman
    Don't fret @Citta, I'm just having fun. Apologies if I have offended you in any way.

But this really is the artistic impression of my view of the ultimate being of human awareness:

but maybe I just like sexing it up a bit too much.
    jae
This discussion has been closed.