Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Concentrated focus, how easy is that?

How much energy can and do you expend on what eases your stress? For many it is a narrowing into their essentially useful qualities, assuming you can find any.

Most of the periphery practices, studies and implementations are narrowing into . . . well where?

For me it is right stuff, right on, right emphasis, right meditation and the odd rite to the powers that bee a buzzin'

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I will come up with a serious response in just a minute, but I have to answer the title 'Concentrated Focus, how easy is that?' first.

If all the scientists say about neuroplasticity is correct, then the part of my brain associated with the tip of my nose must be the size of a golf ball by now.
    lobsterjaefixingjulian
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    lobster said:

How much energy can and do you expend on what eases your stress? For many it is a narrowing into their essentially useful qualities, assuming you can find any.

Most of the periphery practices, studies and implementations are narrowing into . . . well where?

For me it is right stuff, right on, right emphasis, right meditation and the odd rite to the powers that bee a buzzin'

I appreciate how tight this 'map' is. As a relative beginner at serious practice (as opposed to twenty something years 'relating with Buddhism' and admitting 'I guess I'm a Buddhist more than something else) the amount of material is overwhelming! Talk about mental proliferation, something I DO NOT need encouragement in.

This map gives bare bones, taking the 8-fold Path and distilling it into 'three trainings', Morality, Concentration and Wisdom gives me a way to keep "it" simple enough to hold in mind in daily life. Doing that alone is new to me, getting more common thankfully.

I especially relate with how Morality leads to Concentration. As I clean up my life by respecting a moral code, my conscience is clear, I'm not hounded by regrets, fears of what I'm avoiding and the future consequences thereof, anxieties about relationships, all that. Not to say it's even close to perfect; but the 'cleaning up' has had HUGE impact on simple calmness of mind. I even notice that I'm so used to being preoccupied and worried that I sometimes feel preoccupied and worried for no reason, it's been such a constant in my life! Like a habit or something.

I like these kinds of posts!

Gassho! :)
    Jeffreyanatamanjaesova
  • How wide or all encompassing, or varied is our potential?
    http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/buddhist-strategies-for-coping-with-stress

If we talk about emphasis or methods that work for us, how many can we activate? How many of us have the potential, interior resources to focus and implement?

Still waiting for Homer Simpson salvation?
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman.

sova
  • I think the Buddha, dharma, and sangha can help us. But that's not the same as saying they are a cosmic babysitter.
  • Nice
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

The 8-fold path as a virtuous cycle. I like it.
  • The 8-fold path as a virtuous cycle. I like it.
    It is certainly possible to interpret it as an increasing spiral to the mountaintop or as a unicycle, increasing our awareness of the choices that increase our peace.

Most of us, speaking from experience, are armchair Buddhists before practicing the Path. We have to develop confidence that it works from retreats, contact with dharma, sangha and the conflict and resolution of the Buddha (PBUH) . . . :o wrong religion.

The distractions have to be placated, allowed resolution or made the impetus for focus.

Concentrating on the essential is hard when the latest bit of gossip is so yummy . . .
    'Was Hitler a Buddhist?'
    'Will my grandpa come back as a pet cat?'
    'Why am I the only genuine practitioner with insight?'
    'Do I actually have to do anything to become enlightened?'

etc etc

Once we have exhausted the useless behaviours and ideals, what then? Focus on the essential? What might they be? I would suggest everything that allows our awareness and good will to increase . . .

:wave:
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi, i was just looking at your 8fold path and i know a different one, that is more clear.
    1. The four noble truths 2. Right Speech 3. Right handling 4. Right ways of living .
    5. Right efforts 6. Right views 7. Right Insight 8. Deepening.
    These eight one are only the headlines. There is lots of content under the line.
    For example Insicht is The Föour Pillars of Insight- The body- Mind and Feeling- Changes - 7 Awakenings.
    It´s nice seeing these graphics but, even having studied Pali-Kanon for 40 Years, would`nt be able to understand that.
    Pali-Canon ist not the original but the most original we have.

sakko
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I think the Buddha, dharma, and sangha can help us. But that's not the same as saying they are a cosmic babysitter.

"cosmic babysitter" sounds like a good name for a death metal band.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    also i really like that rainbow bodhi inclination in the graphic. cue "i want to break free~!" by queen.

cultivate bodhi mind my friends