Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you agree that enjoying sensual pleasure is akin to licking honey on a sharp blade ?

Do you agree that enjoying sensual pleasure is akin to licking honey on a sharp blade ?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Yes pleasure is precarious. But the Buddha nature is the one who feels pleasure. The craving is the problem rather than the pleasure itself. Pleasure without observer, object, and mind consciousness would just be the nature of mind itself.

But yeah you can get in a drunk driving accident or something so horrible due to pleasure.

I'm glad you asked this question. I was just worried about a loved one and drinking.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I guess so.

If we're mindful, it can be very sweet but if not it can turn out to be a bloody mess.
    sova
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Pleasure in moderation, but not Hedonism, can be ok. Hedonism is addiction or clinging to pleasure for pleasure's sake, which is something to be VERY careful about not doing.

IMHO.

Metta, folks.
  • What is life without some pleasure every so often? Pleasure is the only goal worth pursuing, some would say. Some have even said nibanna is the highest pleasure. If you ask me, I believe craving is the real problem, not pleasure per se.
    Jeffreysova
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Avoiding the "addictive" personality is what some of us can do at best. Perhaps when we overcome some of our weakness we also gain strengths in other areas that can prove helpful towards our goal. Is there anyone willing to shed some light in overcoming weakness?
  • Overcome weakness by turning towards the weakness. So say I have an anger problem. Turn towards that and pay our feelings good attention. Communicate better with those we are angry with. Anger is one of the first things to work on because it is so course that it is actually easier to deal with. There is a lot of energy in anger that can be turned to good use once you reveal the anger.
    wangchueyjae
  • The Sky-Dragon's Profound Roar

Up in the sky’s expanse, true being, unborn, forever pure
    Beautiful is the world below me—how many colors do I see
    But when I look, I can’t find anything that’s born or has a root
    So the time has come to meditate on true reality, of ego-clinging free

All my possessions, all that I enjoy, are like rainbows in the sky
    Even their smallest parts have no essence—they don’t exist at all
    So when I enjoy illusory pleasures, empty-appearing tea and beer
    It’s time to rest in mind’s full moon—empty awareness, radiant clarity

The stages of practice of the Tathagata’s view and meditation
    Are skillful methods that clear away ordinary thoughts
    So I train in appearance and mind being without base or root—
    When sickness and death suddenly strike, I’ll be ready, without regret

In the pattern that this world and life’s appearances weave
    Visions of parents, relatives and friends are like illusions and dreams
    Like morning mist, they are fleeting, and at the time they dissolve
    That’s the time to search for unborn confused mind’s basic reality

In the baseless, rootless and empty confused appearances of life
    We suffer from heat and from cold and from so many other things
    But diligence in Secret Yana’s practices, so powerful
    Makes fox-like cowardice be free all by itself—the time has come!

To what we beautify with hats and clothes, to this heap of elements
    We offer tasty food and many other things—whatever we may find pleasing
    But the carelessness and craziness of this life will end one day
    So be ready to be fearless of the judgment of the mighty Lord of Death

From the country of great snow mountains, a realm of Dharma
    Having crossed many hills and valleys and now flying through the sky
    I purify illusory flesh and blood into empty-appearing deity
    Paths and bhumis’ realizations self-liberated—in this I train

Ha Ha! Dechen Rangdrol’s conduct that’s attachment-free
    A Ho! It’s time to fly in the expanse of sky of spacious Mother
    sova
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2014
    jll said:

No. Enjoying sensual pleasure is simply akin to licking honey. I don't get the sharp blade analogy. Enjoy it while it lasts, and be grateful for it.

JeffreyChazCitta
  • The blade is impermanence. It will chess out whether you are grasping or non-grasping.
  • Jeffrey said:

The blade is impermanence. It will chess out whether you are grasping or non-grasping.

Yes it's impermanent, but you might chess out before the blade does.

• True. I think. Lol
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    jll said:

Yep
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    jll said:

I just tried it and I must say it's kinda good in a refreshing and unexpected way. It helps a little if you don't get blood in the honey. :-/
    lobsterjaeDharmaMcBumReborn
  • Nevermind said:

jll said:

I just tried it and I must say it's kinda good in a refreshing and unexpected way. It helps a little if you don't get blood in the honey. :-/
    Blood in the honey..... hmm, sounds like a hit single, lol.
    JeffreyReborn
  • blood sugar sex magic

~red hot chili peppers

Theswingisyellow
  • Blood sugar sucker fish
    In my dish
    How many pieces
    Do you wish
    Step into a heaven
    Where I keep it on the soulside
    Girl please me
    Be my soul bride
    Every woman
    Has a piece of Aphrodite
    Copulate to create
    A state of sexual light
    Kissing her virginity
    My affinity
    I mingle with the gods
    I mingle with devinity

Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar crazy
    She has it
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik

Glorious euphoria
    Is my must
    Erotic shock
    Is a function of lust
    Temporarily blind
    Dimensions to discover
    In time
    Each into the other
    Uncontrollable notes
    From her snowwhite throat
    Fill a space
    In which two bodies float
    Operatic by voice
    A fanatic by choice
    Aromatic is the flower
    She must be moist

Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar crazy
    She has it
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar crazy
    She has it
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar my girl
    She has it
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar crazy
    She has it
    Sex magik sex magik
    Blood sugar baby
    She's magik
    Sex magik sex magik
  • The album that broke a funk rock group to mainstream when the radio was dominated by grunge..!!
  • You guys xxx

Spoon with your honey.
    Jeffreymfranzdorfhow
  • " I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me,
    but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much.
    My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.
    And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it,
    and then it flows through me like rain,
    and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life"

Lester Burnham
    jaelobsterRebornTheswingisyellow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    jll said:

Not really. I cook a lot. I often lick sharp knives. Bad vice, I know.... but I've never yet cut my tongue on one. Ever.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    jll said:

You certainly have to be careful how you go about it.

;)
    DharmaMcBum
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Yeah, I leave off the razor too.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    federica said:

jll said:

Not really. I cook a lot. I often lick sharp knives. Bad vice, I know.... but I've never yet cut my tongue on one. Ever.

Oowww Is it sharp blade against a sharper tongue
    or sharp blade meeting a timid tongue?
    lobsterfederica
  • Lick the honey. Leave the sharp bits.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Sensual pleasure is sensual pleasure: sex, a good meal a drink........are all well and good, the blades only come out when we cling
    lobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I would advise against licking honey off a sharp blade...........licking honey off your honey may not be so bad.....just sticky :D
    federica
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    wangchuey said:

Avoiding the "addictive" personality is what some of us can do at best. Perhaps when we overcome some of our weakness we also gain strengths in other areas that can prove helpful towards our goal. Is there anyone willing to shed some light in overcoming weakness?

I used to exhibit many addictive behaviors, at the expense of friends, study, and basic sanity... for sake of that fleeting fogginess that seemed like sustainable peace to an utterly deluded mind.

it took me long enough, but there is nothing like weeping and exhibiting real remorse for past faults.

sure, you might still slip due to habit, but once you have hit the iceberg on the head with your heated hammer of vindication, it will crumble, and the tendency will simply erode over time.

also. be real. you are mighty. you have the same potential within you as Shakyamuni.

read some inspiring stories and reflect on them.. "the mind is the chief, the mind is the leader."
    lobsterwangchuey
  • An average person nowadays is living a much more luxurious life than that of kings at the time of the Buddha what with air conditioning, running water, entertainment etc.
    "Now what do you think, Magandiya? Have you ever seen or heard of a king or king's minister — enjoying himself, provided & endowed with the five strings of sensuality, without abandoning sensual craving, without removing sensual fever — who has dwelt or will dwell or is dwelling free from thirst, his mind inwardly at peace?"

"No, master Gotama."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.075x.than.html
  • No I don't agree with that.
    You have my sympathy.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Sensual pleasure is sensual pleasure: sex, a good meal a drink........are all well and good, the blades only come out when we cling

Which is always. Unless you attain elightment of course. :)

• @sova
    also. be real. you are mighty. you have the same potential within you as Shakyamuni.
    :clap:

Well said.
    One day your tongue may be sharp enough to remove knives from the honey . . .
    DairyLama
  • My incorporating honey covered sharp blades into sensual pleasure is none of your business! ;)
  • sova said:

be real. you are mighty. you have the same potential within you as Shakyamuni.

read some inspiring stories and reflect on them.. "the mind is the chief, the mind is the leader."

That's real powerful advice. Thanks @sova
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    pegembara said:

An average person nowadays is living a much more luxurious life than that of kings at the time of the Buddha what with air conditioning, running water, entertainment etc.

"Now what do you think, Magandiya? Have you ever seen or heard of a king or king's minister — enjoying himself, provided & endowed with the five strings of sensuality, without abandoning sensual craving, without removing sensual fever — who has dwelt or will dwell or is dwelling free from thirst, his mind inwardly at peace?"

"No, master Gotama."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.075x.than.html

This post just had me thinking . . . we definitely are living a much more luxurious life nowadays but we still have the same human mind and it's bottomless craving for what we don't have but believe we need.

Our craving is so bottomless that a constant stream of sensual pleasure on all six channels will go flaccid and the 'pleasure' elusive. I don't think it is more difficult to suffer nowadays than it was 2600 years ago, at least it doesn't seem true when you consider the causes of suffering are imbedded in the human mind, no different now than it was back then.

Perhaps 'back then' folks didn't have the luxury of mid-life crises or existential angst, so the suffering might have different qualities or labels. No one expected ALL of their children to survive infancy much less make it to an age where they were useful around the house or could take responsibility for the family inheritance. Our expectations nowadays are different, but we still suffer as badly as ever, and have abundant opportunity, as ever, to suffer, and seek the end of it.

Gassho :)

pegembara