Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was Walt Disney a Buddha? ;-)

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
Okay, my title here is facetious, poking fun at a few threads a couple of weeks ago. But this does relate to Walt Disney and Buddhism.

I just got home from seeing "Saving Mr. Banks", the story about what Disney went through to gets the rights to make "Mary Poppins".

When we first see the authoress' London home, there's a statue of Buddha, which she takes with her when she travels to LA to meet with Disney. And there are a few subtle references to living a spartan life (though her London flat is hardly spartan).

Unfortunately, the woman is a cold bitch virtually no one would like...but of course, Disney ultimately melts her.

It's really quite a good movie, and hardly what I expected. Just thought you'd like to know of another flick with passing references to Buddhism.

Comments

• Never heard of the movie and I don't really go to the cinema anymore, sounds kind of interesting though.

Going back to your attempt at being factious, if Walt was a Buddha, he has created some negative karma if you read through this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disneyland_Resort
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Gee, is it really fair to assess bad karma to Disney for incidents almost all of which occurred 30-40 years after his death? ;)
  • vinlyn said:

Gee, is it really fair to assess bad karma to Disney for incidents almost all of which occurred 30-40 years after his death? ;)

Of course, karma can carry on through many lives as I'm sure you are aware of. Yes he was no directly responsible for those events, but think about the ripples of karma and the people involved, they would not have died or suffered if it were not for his actions. Anyway, off topic just a fun thought to play with.
    Tom, you may appreciate this -- the first time I ever visited Wat Phra Keow in Bangkok, I remember actually thinking, "My goodness, this is like a Buddhist Disneyland!"
    ThailandTom
  • I wonder how much bad karma Disney incurred for Dick Van Dyke's appalling cockney accent.
    vinlynlobsterThailandTomfederica
  • P. L. Travers who wrote the Poppins books briefly studied Zen in Japan. Though she was probably more influenced by Gurdjieff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gurdjieff

:wave:
    poptartVastmind
    Thanks for the info, lobster.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Seems like Gurdjieff and Buddhism appear together in many spiritual resume's. I tried to understand Gurdjieff back in my 20's. It went right over my head, well most of it, and the rest of it didn't appear useful.
  • . . . As for the caste and gender based Walt Buddha . . .
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/16/abigail-disney-meryl-streep-racism-sexism

Apparently a recent biography (that I hope to read soon) counteracts those charges.
  • Hamsaka said:

Seems like Gurdjieff and Buddhism appear together in many spiritual resume's. I tried to understand Gurdjieff back in my 20's. It went right over my head, well most of it, and the rest of it didn't appear useful.

It was all bogus.
    The Sufi teacher Idris Shah says that Gurdjieff pinched enough from the Sufis to impress westerners, but decontextualised and incomplete..he saw part of his mission as providing a service to damaged followers of Gurdjieff.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    lobster said:

. . . As for the caste and gender based Walt Buddha . . .
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/16/abigail-disney-meryl-streep-racism-sexism

Everyone here knows my favorite movie is Mary Poppins....that being said....
    I made a choice not to see the recent movie out of protest...and I told the kids
    so, hahaha. I got tired of explaining why 'most' princesses looked the same and
    how all that crap is make-believe...I liked how the niece explained her position
    about her uncle....well said, I thought.