Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thailand doing worse?

So the government has now declared a state of emergency, whatever that means. The current leader has called for elections next month but that has been rejected by the opposition? Sounds like things are only going to get worse. Hope our resident posters keep their heads down and stay off the streets!

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree. Although not (yet) as violent as 4 years ago, this seems even more of an entangled situation. The election will not satisfy those who are not satisfied now. I am hoping for a coup.
  • I'm just finishing up a tour of northwest Thailand. Mae Hong Son seemed busier than I've seen it before, and Pai, where I am right now is totally polluted with tourists as usual. Which always mystifies me because it seems like any other small farming town with no real attractions or features that stand it out from the rest.
    In the last two and a half weeks I've stayed in 10 cities or towns and rode over 3000 kilometres, it's been very peaceful everywhere.
    So you have a couple of hundred thousand people out of 66 million causing problems in Bangkok.
    But frankly, if I wasn't here already I would probably give it a pass based on the news media reports.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

I agree. Although not (yet) as violent as 4 years ago, this seems even more of an entangled situation. The election will not satisfy those who are not satisfied now. I am hoping for a coup.

A coup, you want a coup? I would have thought you of all people would see the consequences of that!? Think about all of those red shirts that at the moment for the most part are being peaceful because they know things are in their favor election and poll wise. They will go mad and possibly a civil war will break out. I do not like Yingluck or her brother, that is a given, but I do not like the idea of another huge onslaught of red shirts causing havoc.

@robot yes it is peaceful where I am as well, however the Thai baht is getting weaker and things are getting more expensive because Bangkok is being crippled. If you were to drive around certain places of Bangkok at certain times, then you would not consider it peaceful. It seems that you are leaving at the right time anyway as beyond February 2nd that is when the real test will show itself.
    The latest attack a few days ago where a guy threw a grenade into a crowd of people injuring 29 people is not exactly peaceful is it, and that is one in a series of grenade attacks in the past month on peaceful protesters. Farang have been commenting on how easy it is to get grenades, making jokes like they are obviously being sold at 7/11 etc.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Yes for sure Bangkok sounds pretty dicey right now, Tom. I'm not looking forward to having to go there. I fly out on Feb 20 unless things get ugly for farang, then I'll fly out of Saigon maybe.
    In the meantime I will avoid the place and continue to enjoy the rest of the country.
    Also, the weak baht is ok for tourists.

A coup, you want a coup? I would have thought you of all people would see the consequences of that!? Think about all of those red shirts that at the moment for the most part are being peaceful because they know things are in their favor election and poll wise. They will go mad and possibly a civil war will break out. I do not like Yingluck or her brother, that is a given, but I do not like the idea of another huge onslaught of red shirts causing havoc.

Let me tell you why I want a coup. With the exception of Suchinda (coup) and Abhiset (elected), the cleanest governments in Thailand in recent decades have been coup governments.

There is no value to an elected government when the Thai version of democracy is -- it's democracy only when my side wins.

Coups are like enemas to Thailand. And right now, Thailand needs a really good enema.

• robot said:

Yes for sure Bangkok sounds pretty dicey right now, Tom. I'm not looking forward to having to go there. I fly out on Feb 20 unless things get ugly for farang, then I'll fly out of Saigon maybe.
    In the meantime I will avoid the place and continue to enjoy the rest of the country.
    Also, the weak baht is ok for tourists.

O right, well good luck for the 20th I guess then lol. Yes things are better for money conversion but produce is going up in value as it is harder to move around the country due to protests and Bangkok being shut down. Also I am not a tourist lol..

@Vinlyn you make some good points and I see where you are coming from, but you are not here, if Yingluck is ousted she and her brother will just rally the red shirts to the brink of chaos and that is not something I would like to be around. Like I said as it is things are getting more expensive in stores and markets, if there is a civil war which is a possibility given the hold Thhaksin has on his followers and money to back such a thing, things will get really messy.

@Vinlyn you make some good points and I see where you are coming from, but you are not here, if Yingluck is ousted she and her brother will just rally the red shirts to the brink of chaos and that is not something I would like to be around. Like I said as it is things are getting more expensive in stores and markets, if there is a civil war which is a possibility given the hold Thhaksin has on his followers and money to back such a thing, things will get really messy.

Yes, I know those risks. But is it better for that to simmer for years and years, or get something done about it?

• It seems to me that having the army running things could be no worse than having the army under the control of an unelected people's council.
  • That depends on the amount of suffering caused IMO, you can look at it from many angles. Suffering from direct brutality and force, suffering from fear, from being hungry and poor etc. It is a highly volatile situation at the moment and to be honest it feels oddly different to how it felt almost 4 years ago even though at that time things were worse in terms of deaths and violence (at the moment).
  • Are people trying to stock up on bags of rice or canned goods, etc? People here in the USA don't usually understand how quickly food and fuel can run out, when trouble hits.
    And meanwhile the King is out inspecting trees.
  • Cinorjer said:

Are people trying to stock up on bags of rice or canned goods, etc? People here in the USA don't usually understand how quickly food and fuel can run out, when trouble hits.

There are news reports about rice stock piles I saw yesterday but I have not seen much in the way of people going crazy and buying mass amounts of stuff. The Thai's normally only fix something when it is broken instead of maintaining it, so I would expect a similar reaction to this situation. But like I said prices are going up and the baht is getting weaker.

What is an odd move by Thaksin is that he has vowed to give 200,000฿ to whoever catches or leads to the capture of the person who threw the grenade at the yellow shirts 2 days ago. I cannot yet understand why he would do that apart from trying to hold some kind of image among the Thai population.

@vinlyn no comment obviously. His daughter does most of the inspecting now though and it is the first thing on any news broadcast, before any major events in Bangkok you will see her going around Thailand and other countries doing her job, and then you get the news.

What is an odd move by Thaksin is that he has vowed to give 200,000฿ to whoever catches or leads to the capture of the person who threw the grenade at the yellow shirts 2 days ago. I cannot yet understand why he would do that apart from trying to hold some kind of image among the Thai population.

Simply trying to buy good graces with the public.

This may be -- may be -- the perfect storm:

1. Demonstrations in Bangkok that have somewhat paralyzed different parts of the city.
    2. Rice farmers furious that their buddy-pals aren't going to pay for their rice crops after all.
    3. Increased separatism in the Deep South.

How many straws to break the camel's back?
  • vinlyn said:

This may be -- may be -- the perfect storm:

1. Demonstrations in Bangkok that have somewhat paralyzed different parts of the city.
    2. Rice farmers furious that their buddy-pals aren't going to pay for their rice crops after all.
    3. Increased separatism in the Deep South.

How many straws to break the camel's back?

Yes like I said there is an odd feeling at the moment. We all know how dangerous the deep South can be, and on top of that if the farmers are furious then well like you said, there is a recipe for disaster here. Next month will be the start of the show down I would imagine. If it does get pretty out of hand I am simply going to ride 3 hours West to Burma of all places.
    edited January 2014
    How about this for raising the stakes, just in. Albeit pretty much ludicrous and impossible, still a bold statement to make!
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698450-nsptr-threatens-to-abduct-yingluck-chalerm-and-adul/
    National karma?
    A Red Shirt leader in Udon Thani has been shot in a hail of machine gun bullets...in critical condition.
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

A Red Shirt leader in Udon Thani has been shot in a hail of machine gun bullets...in critical condition.

wow, well I am surprised that nobody was killed in the grenade attack and also this guy survived (thus far) a machine gun attack. Things are quickly getting out of hand and outside of Bangkok :(
    edited January 2014
    wow it seems things are really escalating fast. All within a few hours - state of emergency put in place - high ranking red shirt icon nearly killed on his doorstep by an assault riffle - people plotting to kidnap the PM - and now this, a total disregard of the state of emergency..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698538-emergency-decree-ignored-police-hq-sign-vandalised/
    I was thinking tonight that what is happening in Thailand is different, yet not unlike a chapter in American history when organized crime and graft in government first crept its way into American life, then grew exponentially, and to rein it is was one of the most difficult chapters of American history.

The constant lying by Thai governments since the 1930s (and if you don't think they lie, just read one day's news and watch how the same politicians will say 2 or 3 different things on one topic in just one day...e.g., within hours of saying there was no need for the emergency decree, they instituted the emergency decree)...whatever suits them at the moment. The graft and bribery that trickles down from the highest levels to everyday life permeates Thai society and is endemic. Who's the most crooked in Thailand? Probably the police. There's no child prostitution in Thailand...wink, wink, wink. There's no sex slavery in Thailand...wink, wink, wink. There's no theft of copyrighted material...wink, wink, wink. "We don't sell pirated software. Here, would you like to buy Windows 8 for $10?" Wink, wink, wink. X is illegal...wink, pay, wink, pay. And the biggest joke of all -- "We're a democracy."

It can't go on forever. Hell, the most Buddhist country in the world trashes the 5 Precepts as much or more than almost any other country in the world. Wink, wink, wink.

Karma. National karma. I'm convinced it's just as logical as personal karma.

Just talking with my ex in Bangkok...government official.

No shortages of food or water. Growing feeling that things are moving to the breaking point as it did 3 years ago. More gunshots and explosions than before the riots 4 years ago. Questions if police will control themselves.
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

Just talking with my ex in Bangkok...government official.

No shortages of food or water. Growing feeling that things are moving to the breaking point as it did 3 years ago. More gunshots and explosions than before the riots 4 years ago. Questions if police will control themselves.

Well prices are going up here in Hua Hin on a few things and there was a news report I spoke of about stock piles of rice. I think it had something to do with the farmers as well though.

I think Suthep actually wants a civil war now I think about it. If he fails he will probably be put to death if caught, so he has little escape apart from going all out and to bring the government and country to it's knees. I think a few of the people high up in that movement realize they have gotten in too deep now and that may be the only way out. I saw on the news last night actually where somebody from their movement who was a speaker of sorts declined to carry on with it all and he was cornered in a lift with a few people, cameras and journalists whilst someone was trying to convince him to come back lol. It was quite bizarre to watch actually.

By the way yes the Police are corrupt as hell, they do get quite a poor salary tbh and try to squeeze a penny out of anything they can, if it means taking money from businesses monthly, turning a blind eye to the sex trade or letting people off of crimes in general. They are like a mafia to be honest.
  • "I am shocked, shocked I say that there is gambling going on here!" I always think of that line when I hear about police corruption. Man, leaders openly calling for the kidnapping of government officials? Grenades and machine guns starting to be used? By now in most countries the military would have stepped in and taken over, since the Generals have taken corruption to a new level and chaos threatens their money flow.
  • Ok this is something that may trigger some serious things in this country, this will move things outside of Bangkok and nationwide, and also at the same time poking the fire with a stick

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698887-red-shirt-leader-announces-nationwide-mass-rally-on-jan-29/
    If Thailand gets through this reasonably well, it'll be due to dumb luck, with the emphasis on the word dumb.

Nobody there seems to really know what they are doing, they change their plans hour by hour, and they don't give a shit about their country. All they care about is if their side wins. What a farging mess.

• Tom, be safe I will pray to guru Rimpoche for you and all your countrymen. For whatever that is worth.
  • Thank you @Jeffrey :) I just hope that things do not turn that serious, I cannot recall of a time where Hua Hin of all places in Thailand has been met with violence on any level. Lets hope @robot is going to be ok and able to get in and around Bangkok next month..

@vinlyn it does seem to be all about silly acts of selfishness and taking sides for no other reason apart from taking sides for some people. Others are going to try and save face and I think it is hitting home to Thaksin and Yinluck that in reality, they are pretty screwed. Why any red shirt would start to rally 4 days before a set election where they are probably in a position to win baffles me, it makes no sense apart from wanting to cause trouble and harm physically and to their country.

I have my escape plan if I need to, I am situated where the country is most thin and so Myanmar is only 3-4 hours West of here past the infamous waterfall Pala-U. I have resources like money, gas, transport, weapons (no guns) and things that will come in handy if the worse comes to the worse, but I hope it doesn't. Have you spoken much to your ex in Bangkok about this recently by the way?
  • I'm at Don Mueang airport atm heading for Krabi. I'll likely be doing a road trip around the south next week. Avoiding the troubled areas in the deep south of course. So far as a tourist, I have still had no trouble.
    If anything it's probably easier for tourists right now as taxis in Bangkok with tourists on board are given permission to pass thru any road blocks. Also I'm getting the feeling that authorities are being instructed to treat tourists even more gently than usual. I passed thru a number of the usual check points last week without being stopped.
  • robot said:

I'm at Don Mueang airport atm heading for Krabi. I'll likely be doing a road trip around the south next week. Avoiding the troubled areas in the deep south of course. So far as a tourist, I have still had no trouble.
    If anything it's probably easier for tourists right now as taxis in Bangkok with tourists on board are given permission to pass thru any road blocks. Also I'm getting the feeling that authorities are being instructed to treat tourists even more gently than usual. I passed thru a number of the usual check points last week without being stopped.

It is one thing to think about getting around at the moment as a tourist yes, but they are shooting themselves in the foot. It is going into the high season again soon or it's meant to be, that is why you are being treated so well. I just hope that Bangkok is not a war zone when you try and go back home next month, it won't be so easy to get around then :/ Lets see what happens on and after the 29th.
  • That's the beauty of being a tourist. If it's no fun, go somewhere else.

@vinlyn it does seem to be all about silly acts of selfishness and taking sides for no other reason apart from taking sides for some people. Others are going to try and save face and I think it is hitting home to Thaksin and Yinluck that in reality, they are pretty screwed. Why any red shirt would start to rally 4 days before a set election where they are probably in a position to win baffles me, it makes no sense apart from wanting to cause trouble and harm physically and to their country. doesn't. Have you spoken much to your ex in Bangkok about this recently by the way?

I do think you'll probably be all right in Hua Hin.

Yes, my ex and I converse online most evenings about this. 4 years ago he was not worried at all. Now he is VERY worried. He considers the present situation the worst Thailand has faced in his lifetime, and he is in his 50s. He does have to be careful -- he is mid-level government official, so he is careful what he says online to me, and I am careful what I say online to him. Several acts of violence have occurred near his office, and in Nondhaburi where he lives. He has been afraid to travel to and from work on some days. He has finally come to the conclusion that I came to 4 years ago -- that unlike many of the coups and other political shenanigans of the past, this general turbulence, while it may rise and fall from time to time, is going to be a long-term problem.

• robot said:

That's the beauty of being a tourist. If it's no fun, go somewhere else.

I am a tourist of the world, I go wherever I can or want to. If there are issues here then I will just move on, plenty of beautiful places located in South East Asia and I seem to pick up languages quite easily. One thing I am not doing is heading back to live in the West any time soon.

@vinlyn if he seems pretty worried, more so than 4 years ago then that does say a lot about the situation. No offense but you must either be ignorant, brave or stupid to get involved with politics in this country, but I wish him all the best and hope he stays out of any trouble. I think I should be ok in Hua Hin due to its status and, even though it is only 2 hours South of Bangkok, however there is one thing that could make this the ultra perfect storm, the departing of a certain somebody. If that were to happen within the next month or so then I really could not predict what would happen.
    Indeed, it's unpredictable. And that's really the problem. It could call calm down, too. But even with that scenario, the underlying causes have not been solved, hence the the stresses to the culture continue.

In most nations there are defining moments (for wont of a better term) that decide the general path a country takes for some period of time. The rule of Chulalongkorn was such a moment for Thailand; the fall of the absolute monarchy in 1935; the consolidation of power by King Bhumipohl. These defining moments don't last forever, but rather last for a few decades. I think we may be in such a defining moment now (although it isn't some exact date, bur rather a time period).

Of course, they don't know the word, but there seems to be a belief among Thais in excelsior -- ever upwards. They don't seem to understand that nations have cycles -- up cycles, down cycles, stagnation cycles. And so they don't really plan for the future. They just jump from one situation to the next, never laying the foundation for the future. This is especially obvious in the way they are handling -- well, actually not handling -- the problem in the Deep South. They talk a lot, but they don't really do anything about what is a MAJOR issue. And so, no solutions bring an end, or even an improvement to the situation. This is just as true about "pop" ;-) , whose time is very short. They all fear it, but if they don't talk about it, the problem will just go away. But of course, it won't go away. It's all part of "Mai pben rai" -- a nice concept, but one that tends to hide stress, rather than deal with stresses.
    robot
  • vinlyn said:

Indeed, it's unpredictable. And that's really the problem. It could call calm down, too. But even with that scenario, the underlying causes have not been solved, hence the the stresses to the culture continue.

In most nations there are defining moments (for wont of a better term) that decide the general path a country takes for some period of time. The rule of Chulalongkorn was such a moment for Thailand; the fall of the absolute monarchy in 1935; the consolidation of power by King Bhumipohl. These defining moments don't last forever, but rather last for a few decades. I think we may be in such a defining moment now (although it isn't some exact date, bur rather a time period).

Of course, they don't know the word, but there seems to be a belief among Thais in excelsior -- ever upwards. They don't seem to understand that nations have cycles -- up cycles, down cycles, stagnation cycles. And so they don't really plan for the future. They just jump from one situation to the next, never laying the foundation for the future. This is especially obvious in the way they are handling -- well, actually not handling -- the problem in the Deep South. They talk a lot, but they don't really do anything about what is a MAJOR issue. And so, no solutions bring an end, or even an improvement to the situation. This is just as true about "pop" ;-) , whose time is very short. They all fear it, but if they don't talk about it, the problem will just go away. But of course, it won't go away. It's all part of "Mai pben rai" -- a nice concept, but one that tends to hide stress, rather than deal with stresses.

This is what I was saying earlier in this thread, the general notion of Thai's is to fix something when it is broken, or try and fix it when it breaks rather than make plans and adjustments before hand. Hence all the talk throughout many government sectors of things like repairing roads, transportation safety measures, the whole flood incident, the list goes on and on. A lot gets said and next to nothing gets done, mai bpen rai is the phrase of the land of smiles for sure. I do not know what it is going to take to change the general ideologies and actions of the population as a whole, there are so many things to deal with like the above and corruption, as you mentioned a complete flush out of the system would be a good idea, but who or what would replace that and that would still not change the mentality of the people. Another thing, the most Buddhist country in the world is far from spiritual, I am not going to go into this but you know what I mean.

Anyway despite all of this I would STILL rather live here than the UK or the US, personal opinion but seriously I have never felt so grounded and content with life here. Everywhere has pros and cons and the pros here at the moment for me still outweigh the cons. Like @robot said, at the moment things are bad in some respects but they have been bad for years and there are ways around such things. I also can get away with quite a few things that I would not be able to back home, nothing that illegal, just simple things that make life a lot easier.
    Don't get me wrong, Tom. I'm not suggesting you leave. You seem happy there. There are many times when I truly yearn for Thailand, but for me it's the Thailand pre-4 years ago.
  • "Suthep Thaugsuban, who this week threatened to "close every route" to polling stations in an effort to stop the February 2 vote, said his movement was "not conducting an antidemocratic uprising" in a letter to the United States president posted on his official Facebook page on Saturday.

The demonstrators, who have staged a near-two week "shutdown" of Bangkok, want polls to be postponed for a year or more and a "people's council" installed in power to implement reforms they hope would destroy the enduring electoral might of ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Suthep said reforms would ensure Thailand was free of "unjust and corrupt leaders in the future" in his letter to the American leader, which comes amid international concern over political unrest that has left nine dead and hundreds injured."

So blocking elections (not just boycotting them) is somehow supporting democracy? And does this man really think a people's council installed in power for a year is going to turn over that power to a free election? This is some seriously strange stuff.
    Cinorjer, I have said previously that the Thai definition of democracy is:

It's democracy if my side wins.

I was not being facetious.

The Pheu Thai party now in power was elected through widespread vote buying. I know...I personally talked to people in Issan (the Red Shirt stronghold) where people would tell me exactly how much they were paid to vote a certain way. I'm not saying that's anything different than in previous elections, but never before did any candidate have the deep pockets that Taksin Shinawatra had.

Thailand is not a democracy, and even if it was, the corruption is so bad that it's irrelevant to call it a democracy.

• Are the ballots hidden?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

The Pheu Thai party now in power was elected through widespread vote buying. I know...I personally talked to people in Issan (the Red Shirt stronghold) where people would tell me exactly how much they were paid to vote a certain way. I'm not saying that's anything different than in previous elections, but never before did any candidate have the deep pockets that Taksin Shinawatra had.

Thailand is not a democracy, and even if it was, the corruption is so bad that it's irrelevant to call it a democracy.

I doubt though that you'd call your country or mine...democracies!
    Jeffrey said:

Are the ballots hidden?

Yes.

how said:

vinlyn said:

I doubt though that you'd call your country or mine...democracies!
    You're Canadian?

I'd call our two countries viable formats of democracy.

Not all democracies are cut from the same cloth. But Thailand is a democracy in name only. I tried to find one piece of info, but couldn't, but the % of ex-military or ex-police that are in the legislature there is staggering.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@vinlyn
    I suppose the fact that everyone in our two countries gets a vote makes it sound like a democracy,
    right up until I look at how much money anyone needs behind them, to be in the running to get elected .
  • how said:

@vinlyn
    I suppose the fact that everyone in our two countries gets a vote makes it sound like a democracy,
    right up until I look at how much money anyone needs behind them, to be in the running to get elected .

From a personal opinion any country that has a 2 party system I do not consider to be democratic. Most of the time you are simply voting for the lesser of 2 evils which is always a lose lose situation.
    Jeffreyhow
    how said:

@vinlyn

It seems like you want a perfect democracy.

Never been one. Never will be.

From a personal opinion any country that has a 2 party system I do not consider to be democratic. Most of the time you are simply voting for the lesser of 2 evils which is always a lose lose situation.

As opposed to Thailand where multiple parties are evil, and you can choose from a range of "evilness".

:D
  • Yea both systems are failures to be honest. You must admit though, a 2 party system just isn't right and you are left with little choice as a voting citizen.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

how said:

@vinlyn

It seems like you want a perfect democracy.

Never been one. Never will be.
    All of us contribute to how large or small the difference is between the ideal and the actual.
    I would not want to be a doormat in front of that"actual" out of fear that the "ideal" can never be met. What parent would?

I would like a democracy where money didn't rule the roost, or decide which two people they would let me decide on but mostly I'd like what we call a democracy not to actually be the inbred offspring of an Oligarchy/Plutocracy tryst.