Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does it take?

I would like to experience what it's like to live in a buddhist monastery but I wonder if it can just be for a week? Or at all?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    That shouldn't be a problem. All you have to do is ask. Some occasionally do close their gates to the laity during periods of monastic retreat so that the monks in the guest master departments are freed up to join those retreats.
  • I would like to experience what it's like to live in a buddhist monastery but I wonder if it can just be for a week? Or at all?

It would depend on where you live and the Sanghas around your area. A retreat like @how suggested is a good idea as that is kind of like a stepping stone from lay life to an ordained life. Do some researching online in your area and get in touch with a few places, good luck.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Retreats for lay people happen quite often. Look around and you can probably find one.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I would like to experience what it's like to live in a buddhist monastery but I wonder if it can just be for a week? Or at all?

Bhavana Society of West Virginia allows you to visit or become a short term resident. I often setup 4 day weekends and schedule ahead of time(they have to have the room and be free to allow visitors during the time I want to go), and I just go and live the normal schedule of meditation and work. Of course there are also 5 or 7 day retreats as well.

Find places near you, call them up and see what they allow.
    lobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    http://eng.templestay.com/

It's in Korean temples but I'm sure other temples have similar stuff. :)