Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who am I, The Beastmaster?

OK, I have a thing for animals... I've rescued, re-homed, and well, we know about the cat. Maybe it's my lot in life.

Some years ago we had a female raccoon invade the attic to give birth. Dec./Jan. is when they start to den and give birth. The kits are usually weaned by May-July. I used my neighbor's Hav-A-Hart trap to trap them and relocate them... the mother on one day, the two babies (weaned) over the next two days. The mother did extensive damage to my attic. Then I had another raccoon hanging around my house and neighbors' houses. Trapped and relocated that one. I was raccoon-free for about 6 years until now. I think there is another one. I hear something scampering in the attic. I've set the trap and baited it with cat food, they love cat food. No raccoon yet but I hear something up above. So does my cat. The dilemma I think I have is this:

If the mother has already given birth, and I trap and relocate her, the babies will die. Even if I could get into the attic (it's kind of tough to get into) and retrieve the babies, it's too cold to just put them wherever I put the mother. She picks a place because it's safe and warm for the babies. In either case, they'd die. Or I could simply tough it out until late spring/early summer when the babies are weaned and they all go off on their own. I can only hope, taking that approach, she doesn't do damage like the last one did.

I don't want the babies to die, but I don't want freakin' raccoons in my attic! I've contacted animal removal services in the past but they were no help, and I fear they kill the animals. What's the dharmic thing to do here?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    do you also have two ferrets called kodo and podo, a falcon named Sharak and a black tiger named Ruh up in your attic ?:)

as for real advice.. the government setup something like animal control for this reason... why not use it? they will deal with the animal as the law sees fit. It is an animal from nature... it should go back. Animals live and die(same as humans) all of the time. Look at it this way.. if those babies survive then they will live to pass on tough genes to the next generation :).

There may be a local zoo that could take them or animal preserve.. there is the popcorn park zoo near me.
  • @Jayantha I had three ferrets! Alexis, Truffles and Chester. Chester was an inheritance, Alexis and Truffles were rescues who were dying and given away by their owners. I took them for the short time they had left. I had a jenday conure and a cockatiel. I have two Shih tzus (the only two who were chosen, and not rescues) and a black and white cat named Christian (a rescue), who takes this thing of his lion namesake a little too far. I limit his time watching Youtube, but ya know... kids. :lol:

I did some more reading and found I'm somewhat mistaken... the mating season is in Jan.-Mar., with the babies born later. I'm still concerned though because last time it seemed the time frame was 3 months earlier.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Wow you truly are the BeastMaster!, maybe you should invite it to live downstairs with it's babies lol. I also like ferrets.. most likely because I loved the movie growing up. My brother-in-law had some for a few years.

• My dogs would probably love it. They and the cat are completely bonded, having been raised together. The cat and male dog tease and chase each other, the dog humps the cat (both neutered), the cat puts up with it for a while then smacks the dog. The cat teases the dog and ambushes him. They all groom each others' faces and ears. They actually jostle each other and jockey for position in my lap in the recliner. "It's a madhouse! A madhouse!" :lol:

Ferrets are mischief personified. There is nothing they don't find fascinating or can't get into. Every time I moved the sofa I found things I didn't even know went missing. The word ferret actually comes from Latin meaning 'little thief'.

I'm a little less concerned now that if I trap the mother, the chances of the babies having been born are slim to none, but...
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Have an animal control company or yourself ascertain what is in your attic. You do not yet have enough info to decide what is best to do....

but when all is finished, if you do not mechanically prevent future animal incursions, into your attic, then you are responsible for those outcomes.
    Zero
  • Are ferrets edible ? :)
  • how said:

Have an animal control company or yourself ascertain what is in your attic. You do not yet have enough info to decide what is best to do....

Even if I found an animal control company, I have no assurance they won't kill the animals. For some reason the 3 or 4 I contacted were not interested. Business is too good? The local Humane Society Animal Control division has their hands full. The kits would be grandparents by the time the HS came out.
    but when all is finished, if you do not mechanically prevent future animal incursions, into your attic, then you are responsible for those outcomes.
    This is something I can't figure out. There is no damage to the roof or the eaves that I can see. Raccoons are extremely intelligent and agile. I have no crawlspace or basement (slab), but it's possible that there is a gap between the foundation and an outer wall they found.
    Citta said:

Are ferrets edible ? :)

I doubt it. When Chester played in the water in the bathtub, he looked like a pipe cleaner. That's why they can squeeze anywhere... there's nothing to them.
  • But if you have LOTS of them....like a weenie roast...
  • Citta said:

But if you have LOTS of them....like a weenie roast...

True, true... cocktail weenies. :D

• Problem solved..
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I am surprised that they are not prepared to release them, if only as a business guarantee of future business. Perhaps business is too good. A straight catch and kill job must create some pretty hardened individuals.

This still doesn't prevent you from finding out your self what is up there with a bit of quiet patience and a bright flashlight. A black light will also show you their urine trail to and from their entrance, if you need to take it further. (Roof rats can be disuaded from living in an attic with electronic rodent emitters).

You still don't have enough info to make a decision.
  • how said:

I am surprised that they are not prepared to release them, if only as a business guarantee of future business. Perhaps business is too good. A straight catch and kill job must create some pretty hardened individuals.,

The problem is that there are fewer and fewer places to release them to. Farms and fields are being sold to put up townhouses and housing developments. It's awful. I don't blame the animals... we invaded their territory. My house is about 20-25 years old. When I first visited this part of town in the late 80s, there was virtually nothing. Little did I know that I'd be living there some day. Then the townhouses went up. A huge tract of land that was open fields and dirt hills perfect for a mountain bike or dirt bike is now a solar farm.
    This still doesn't prevent you from finding out your self what is up there with a bit of quiet patience and a bright flashlight. A black light will also show you their urine trail to and from their entrance, if you need to take it further. (Roof rats can be disuaded from living in an attic with electronic rodent emitters).

You still don't have enough info to make a decision.
    This is true. I'm going to have to do some leg work on this. Thanks. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I had a client who finally called pest control when a raccoon started walking over him in bed on its way to his kitchen at night.
    Live trap and release was a contracted price of @ $125.00 per raccoon.

Either 5 similar looking raccoons were caught over a period of a week or one raccoon kept coming back when released at the end of the block. The wallet drain only stopped when he fortified his domicile.

• :hair:

When relocating them, it must be at least 1 mile away for a female, and at least 5 miles for a male. That's about the radius of their territories.

I've read that ammonia is offensive to raccoons. It's one of the things to use to repel them, especially around garbage cans and other places they can hide out. Soak rags with it and leave them. I haven't tried it. When there's been a rash of raccoon incursions into the neighborhood we've had to put heavy objects on top of our garbage receptacles. My neighbor opened hers to put garbage in, and out popped a raccoon. She screamed so loud (the woman, not the raccoon :D ) and called the police. Like the raccoon was going to wait to be cuffed? :lol:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    He was actually promised that the raccoon releases were miles away up a deserted back country road. It was only moi who mentioned how deeply a 10 mile round trip might cut into a pest control companies narrow profit margins,
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I have a problem with rats, as I live on a 1/4 raised dry area in a 5 acre swamp. I also told the story about Jiao the fat-assed possum who lived somewhere in my extremely messy and chaotic loft last winter. Almost every year I have a possum baby in the old parakeet cage because they sneak in the house and I'm afraid the cat will get them, so I grow them fast on cat food and left overs and turn them loose when they are larger than the huge rats I have the biggest problem with.

So if you are the Beastmaster, I'm the Beastmistress.

I do dislike raccoons only because they commit mass murder upon my beloved ducks and geese :( when they are around. To be painfully honest, when I see a dead 'coon on the side of the road anywhere near my house, I feel a pang of sorrow at how it died but relief that it won't seek to feast on my feathery kids.

But back to the rats . . . very very destructive, not to mention filthy with all the pee and poop (had a batch of them in the house two winters ago, destroyed insulation and wall board etc etc). My Jetta's wiring was destroyed by rat chewing, costs more to have it fixed than I paid for the darn thing. I won't murder them, but I will repel them. There's this product I found made of fox urine and lots of pepper type stuff that I spray onto my car tires and the wiring every week or so. It smells 'peppery', not chemical, and the only danger is getting some on your finger then sticking it in your eye. I just got some other stuff in the mail to put in the shed where I keep my poultry feed (another fave for the rats) called Fresh Cab by Earthkind, comes in four packet boxes on Amazon, and it has similar stuff to the spray, smelly stuff that smells OK or semi-pleasant to us but repels varmints, including raccoons. I just put a couple packets (like big fat tea bags) in the feed shed yesterday so we'll see how it works.

Gassho :)
  • @Hamsaka, yes raccoons are very destructive. Supposedly they don't go after larger animals, but you have the dead ducks and geese to disprove that. Personally if I lived in a rural and fairly undeveloped area, with a large shed, barn or something like that, I'd probably never notice the raccoons. But I'm in your typical suburban can-see-in-the-neighbors'-living-room type house.

I hate seeing them as roadkill too. In fact when I released them years ago I hoped it was an area far enough off the road that they wouldn't be roadkill. I released two adults in a county and state park (highly illegal, but meh...I didn't get caught). I released the two babies (they were cute fat little balls of fur) into a wooded area near the county reclamation center. The woman at the Humane Society shelter saw them and said they were ready to go off on their own, but they had taken so many relocated animals on their property it was becoming overpopulated. She said they'd become "garbage dump raccoons".

One of them didn't like me, and rushed me when I opened the cage... a 1 lb furball rushing a 200 lb human. That may be because I accidentally pinched his tail putting him in the carrier. I stomped on the ground with my boots, but the little shit still turned around to snarl at me, then turned and slowly sauntered off like his shitlets didn't stink. :D

Many years ago part of Asbury Park was left in the dark because a rat chewed on a power cable. That must have been :hair: for the rat, not to mention the last thing it ever chewed on.