Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Punx: Dhamma shining in a most unlikely place

Just watched this video below about this gentleman Noah Levine who grew up as a "punk" (as in the scene) and turned his life around to being a bald tatted up dhamma teacher. I love his first line " Buddhism isn't just for hippies" ahaha, as I do feel that Buddhism suffers from that stereotype and is thrown in with new age and hippie stuff a lot. It's good to see the dhamma spread to those who want to rebel from society, after all was not Buddha the ultimate rebel?

Comments

• Yes, Dharma Punx is doing a great job of keeping Buddhism relevant for younger generations, adapting to the times, as it were. Also what I love about them is that they have a charitable component, a community action program. They run soup kitchens. It's so important to demonstrate to practitioners that Buddhism isn't just about meditation, it's about putting compassion into action to benefit others.
    Yik_Yis_Yii
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Dakini said:

Yes, Dharma Punx is doing a great job of keeping Buddhism relevant for younger generations, adapting to the times, as it were. Also what I love about them is that they have a charitable component, a community action program. They run soup kitchens. It's so important to demonstrate to practitioners that Buddhism isn't just about meditation, it's about putting compassion into action to benefit others.

I've been listening to him in some other videos and I have to say I'm impressed. I have not heard anything from his teachings that threw up any red flags for me and I've agreed/had the same view more then once. He knows what he's talking about for a lay teacher.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    His father is Stephen Levine, who hung out with Ram Dass, Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg, etc.

In Noah's book Dharma Punx, he talks about how he was more or less around meditation since he was a kid, but never really got into it until he hit a really low point in his life. Nice to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    What an inspirational guy! Thanks @Jayantha
  • His father is Stephen Levine, who hung out with Ram Dass, Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg, etc.

Stephen Levine is with Jack Kornfield now, at his Spirit Rock meditation center in the north Bay Area.

BunksInvincible_summer
  • I belong to Noah's sangha here in Los Angeles, Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society. It is one of the most welcoming and authentic places I have ever been. All the teachers are great, and they bring in various teachers from different disciplines. I've learned more than I have elsewhere, and my meditation practice has improved tremendously.
    BunksInvincible_summer