Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you have a teacher...

BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
edited January 2014 in Buddhism Today
what did they do or say, or what was the moment where you decided " yes this guy/gal knows what he's talking about, I want to learn from him".

My teacher would technically be Bhante G. I knew he was a wise old monk and wrote many famous books, but the first time I heard him speak, when it came time for questions he said " you can ask any question you like, but I can't guarantee an answer" with a smile that made you laugh. I like a teacher who is not afraid to say they don't know.

The Buddha talks a couple of times about the qualities of a good teacher. Here is an except from one

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.159.than.html

"[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak step-by-step.'

"[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].'

"[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak out of compassion.'

"[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.'

"[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak without hurting myself or others.'[1]
Invincible_summer

Comments

• I found the Lamas materials to be of high insight. It wasn't just the 8, 4, and 5. It was unique and fresh and instilled me with confidence. The 8, 4, and 5 were dealt with, but in a fresh way. The priority was on this mind, my mind. It was not in something that I had to get to it was already here. I was skeptical, but then the citta awakened and I felt that the pointing out of openness, clarity, and sensitivity was accurate. Also my teacher was there for me to answer questions and help to organize my life and so as to better be available for Dharma. In that she helped me through crises I had.
    Hamsaka
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I came to Kyudo Nakagawa Roshi, abbot of Ryutakuji in Japan, from another Zen teacher who was as full of proper Zen pomp as Downton Abbey. Kyudo was plain as a pair of old sandals. He talked straight. He laughed. He had a bass voice that seemed to emanate from his toes. He was short.

If I wanted to talk Buddhism, he would do that, but I don't remember a time when he was the first to inject Buddhism into a conversation. We both smoked. It would be hard to say in exactly what way he 'taught' me, but he taught me according to my needs. When he died, he left no Dharma heirs, something I consider a first-class Buddhist teaching. I loved him.
    HamsakaInvincible_summer
  • It would be hard to say in exactly what way he 'taught' me, but he taught me according to my needs. When he died, he left no Dharma heirs, something I consider a first-class Buddhist teaching. I loved him.
    :clap:
    My teacher was much the same but outside the dharma vehicle. For most of us a teacher is a template, a transfer of the qualities, a preparation. Knowledge transfer is that much of a teacher? . . . books are often more erudite. However we as social animals, like and need the personal touch.

The recognition process for me was knowing what to look for. Reputation? No. Shining appearance? No. What? We don't have words . . .

One day someone turned up for a computing class I was teaching and had certain enlightened qualities . . . Such individuals in their outer form are completely hidden and not recognizable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratyekabuddha

I continued looking for a teacher in the dharma field who had reached enlightenment but that is another story for another time . . .

:wave:
    Hamsaka