Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddhist Way vs Formal Education

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited January 2014 in Buddhism Today
In the west, it is assumed that if you lack formal education and degrees, your opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially when we talk about human motivation and the nature of mind. In the the Buddhist tradition, they seem to have an apprenticeship system where even simple men can strive for enlightenment and the pre-requisite for success is wisdom rather than formal training.

I believe we in the west, have decided to forego the wisdom of people who have lived their lives and the focus is education over wisdom. Of course, the result is thousands of approaches to therapy and everyone has an opinion. In Buddhism, there are different forms of Buddhism, but for the most part, they practice pretty much the same way.

I think it is easy to guess where I am at in the debate due to the previous statements but my question is what approach do you believe holds the most value, and why?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2014
    You're comparing apples to oranges.
    These are not approaches that can be compared.
    lobster
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

In the west, it is assumed that if you lack formal education and degrees, your opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially when we talk about human motivation and the nature of mind. In the the Buddhist tradition, they seem to have an apprenticeship system where even simple men can strive for enlightenment and the pre-requisite for success is wisdom rather than formal training.

I believe we in the west, have decided to forego the wisdom of people who have lived their lives and the focus is education over wisdom. Of course, the result is thousands of approaches to therapy and everyone has an opinion. In Buddhism, there are different forms of Buddhism, but for the most part, they practice pretty much the same way.

I think it is easy to guess where I am at in the debate due to the previous statements but my question is what approach do you believe holds the most value, and why?

Just take an example of Steve Jobs, he didn't had college degree but later University itself asked him to accept him degree with great honor. In west people does great business/Industry without degree.

Mind is very basic thing to Human being, we all experiences and comes to certain conclusion. Therefore colleges or formal degrees have nothing to do about spirituality.
    lobster
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited January 2014
    federica said:

You're comparing apples to oranges.
    These are not approaches that can be compared.

I disagree. I believe our school system is geared to left brain activities such as prognostication, rationalizing, comparing, categorizing and judging. Those are the qualities that are appreciated in Western society and appreciation in the form of recognition and accolades are bestowed upon them.

The Buddhist tradition is much more esoteric and present moment focussed.

This is very well articulated by Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain researcher from Harvard University.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I agree with @federica. Each can support and enrich the other, but pitting the one against the other goes nowhere.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • I think it is easy to guess where I am at in the debate due to the previous statements but my question is what approach do you believe holds the most value, and why?
    I didn't understand what you asked. You posited that you get respect from education? And the mentor system in the East?

Is that what you are asking?
  • I value both. They offer different things that are valuable. :buck:

. . . and now back to the education . . .
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I suggest this is more of a 'personal' dilemma for you than something 'real'. Yes of course, it's true that a majority opinion gives more credence to a 'properly educated mind'. But it's also obvious that the majority opinion means d*ck in the great scheme of things.

No judgment, this isn't a stupid question, most people at a certain age/time of life will ponder it, the dichotomy does exist in a relative sense.

If you are seeking a certain career or job, the relative truth of a 'proper education' is a no-brainer. If you are seeking unconditional positive regard from the majority, better get that PhD, mansion, boat, good looking wife/husband and monthly facials. You'll still fall short but you'll get to feel superior to quite a few people :D

Like Lobster said they both offer valuable things, but in the context of you OP, aren't comparable. That's GOOD NEWS though, right?

If you are wise, mature, compassionate people who get to know you will know this without a doubt. If you achieve all of the above as you seek to do already, you won't care if there is a stuck up, ignorant reality television-mediated majority opinion you don't measure up to.

Gassho :)
    jaeInvincible_summer
  • genkaku said:

I agree with @federica. Each can support and enrich the other, but pitting the one against the other goes nowhere.

I am not pitting one against the other, Western society does that all by itself. I know of well educated (in the west) people who consider the concept of mindfulness and meditation as bunk and airy fairy. Whereas you do not find Buddhists thinking western education is posh.

I work with a couple of psychologists and a psychiatrist who believe it is a scam and that if you teach people self-compassion, you are teaching them to delude themselves. They should feel their shame and carry it always like a pendant. I guess the belief is that they will regulate themselves that way.

More and more people from the west are beginning to see the value of Buddhist concepts but there are many who fight against them vigorously.

I guess the source of my discussing these things is my own defensiveness.

• edited January 2014
    More effort needs to be done to put them together...
    http://www.edutopia.org/stw-student-stress-meditation-schools-research
    lobsterAllbuddhaBound
  • More effort needs to be done to put them together...
    http://www.edutopia.org/stw-student-stress-meditation-schools-research

Great article.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I am not pitting one against the other, Western society does that all by itself. I know of well educated (in the west) people who consider the concept of mindfulness and meditation as bunk and airy fairy. Whereas you do not find Buddhists thinking western education is posh.

I work with a couple of psychologists and a psychiatrist who believe it is a scam and that if you teach people self-compassion, you are teaching them to delude themselves. They should feel their shame and carry it always like a pendant. I guess the belief is that they will regulate themselves that way.

More and more people from the west are beginning to see the value of Buddhist concepts but there are many who fight against them vigorously.

I guess the source of my discussing these things is my own defensiveness.

As for your last sentence, that's a great insight, not an easy one to grasp. It's one of the main causes of discussion for everyone, everywhere. You sense the lack of truth and the harmfulness of the OPINIONS of the people you work with. Hell, how ironic they are in helping professions, eh? I've been in the 'helping profession' my whole adult life, and have encountered many who have a genuine heart, and quite a few who use the cloak of 'healing' to disguise their hunger for power over others. They are just as confused and lost as the next human being.

The problem with western psychology is that neuroses are believed to be 'real' things, while Buddhism regards them as delusion, with a reality that is only relative, but in essence, empty of thingness.

If neuroses were suddenly known to be nothing but mental proliferations, gaseous clouds of nonsense, those who've spent years of their life to learn about them (and are still paying the student loans) will not enjoy knowing this. But they won't be alone, considering everything else we've fomented and call real.

Gassho :)
    upekkalobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    @AllbuddhaBound ... I like this post, I have no degrees and left school at 16 did a catering course for a couple of years and have had a multitude of crap jobs.

I am not as articulate as most on this site, I get 'lost' in a lot of whats discussed here but still have gained a lot from being here and I don't feel anxious about putting my thoughts and opinions 'out there'.

You know the way I see it is you can be highly educated and have no common sense and vice versa ..... someone told me once 'if you take the time to listen to everyone you meet you will always learn something'.

I think all approaches are equally valid, I'm also very thankful for those that can help me and others understand. I also hope my thoughts or experiences may be helpful too.

Jeffreylobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    In the west, apprenticeship is still seen as the way of learning and accruing knowledge and skills. Unless of course you are an entrepreneur! Which means you 'wing it' as far as you can but like Icarus, The Sun will bring you down.
  • jae said:

'if you take the time to listen to everyone you meet you will always learn something'.

One of the most difficult things to hear is opinions masquerading as truth. Individually we all know our opinions are 'the truth' . . . oh wait I think I may have spotted a flaw . . . :buck:

I would suggest that meditation is a way of listening to our opinions. It can make us far more tolerant of those swamped by opinions . . . That itself is an education but the well educated can learn from meditation too.

I seem to remember some Tibetan monks are getting a Western education so their partial ignorance can be negated and new knowledge stimulated. A good thing surely . . . ah here is the link . . .
    http://www.scienceformonks.org/

:wave:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @AllbuddhaBound -- If I am hearing your concerns correctly, I think your antennae are picking up something that can be very real -- a certain dismissive and sometimes downright disdainful attitude that spiritual adherents can display about intellectual capacity.

This attitude -- assuming as I do that it exists -- is premised in the recognition that relying on the intellectual mind as a means of achieving peace is a fool's errand. Put in simple terms, perhaps it can be stated as a question posed to the intellectually adroit: "If you're so smart, how come you're not happy?"

Anyone who has relied on the intellect for a strong foundation is likely to feel the lash of that question... and those pursuing a spiritual path may be a bit too enthusiastic about applying that lash ... to such a degree, sometimes, that the outcome seems to be, "If you want the benefits of spiritual life, you've got to be dumb as a fence post."

It may be that this direction is understandable: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction and reacting to the recognition that the intellect can really gum up the works is sometimes pretty forceful.

But once things become less exciting and argumentative, once the insistence on one position or another wears thin, then I think individuals may return to Swami Vivekananda's observation that "the mind [he meant intellect] is a good servant and a poor master." The intellect really is a pretty good tool, but relying on it to answer the desire for a peaceful and happy life is a mistake. No big deal -- we all make mistakes and when we do, then we seek to correct them. Just because your dog pees on the living room carpet is not an invitation to evict the dog ... it's an invitation to train the dog, assuming you like/love your animal.

If any of that is relevant....
    lobsterVastmind