Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compatibility in relationships.

SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
How important do you think compatibility between two people in relationship is? It is important to find someone who shares your values, interests etc, or is something you work out in the course of relationship?

According to this guy, compatibility is overrated, and it is the love that holds people together more than having things in common? Any thoughts?

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I think it is difficult and maybe even pointless to try and generalize every relationship on how it will work out based on if the couple is compatible or not. There are many other factors involved which should be taken into account. Sure having things in common may help to cause a spark and the start of a relationship, but long term relationships require a lot of effort, patience and give and take.

I have very little in common with my current partner of 3 and a bit years, but we get on well enough. Like pretty much any couple we have ups and downs, disagreements, but that is what tests the love and bond you have together, the hard times in your relationship.

So yea I think it is not necessary for a long term relationship but it may have a lot to do with what triggers a relationship in the first place. Then later you may realize that you simply can't be together or live together for whatever reason.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Wonderful post @taiyaki :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I don't think compatibility matters as much as FLEXibility.
    BunksNek777
  • ixnay on sharing tooth brushes hahha
    federicaVastmindKundoanataman
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    federica said:

I'd agree with you there. However, at which point being flexible becomes compromising our own needs?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    When the decision leaves you feeling you've been had....
    Vastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

How important do you think compatibility between two people in relationship is? It is important to find someone who shares your values, interests etc, or is something you work out in the course of relationship?

According to this guy, compatibility is overrated, and it is the love that holds people together more than having things in common? Any thoughts?

I think you can also question whether folks should be held together and
    why the length of time they stay together would be a viable sign of it's success.
    David
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2014

Love does NOT "conquer all", and anyone who thinks so will find themselves in trouble sooner or later. Compatibility is essential! Most importantly, the couple needs to see eye-to-eye on financial issues and goals (one main cause of divorce is when one partner is spendy while the other is frugal or careful), life goals, and have a few interests in common, at least. They need to be emotionally compatible too; if one person is very affectionate, while the other tends to be withdrawn, the relationship won't work.

JeffreyVastmind
  • Dakini said:

Love does NOT "conquer all", and anyone who thinks so will find themselves in trouble sooner or later. Compatibility is essential! Most importantly, the couple needs to see eye-to-eye on financial issues and goals (one main cause of divorce is when one partner is spendy while the other is frugal or careful), life goals, and have a few interests in common, at least. They need to be emotionally compatible too; if one person is very affectionate, while the other tends to be withdrawn, the relationship won't work.

@Dakini, how do you know who is spendy or frugal from just going on dates? Just on a date someone could splurge even if that is not normal for them, right?

What do you mean by goals? My girlfriend and I both have a sad story with mental illness where we don't hold good jobs. In my case I lost my job and am now looking for work at like subway etc. I want to take courses next fall at a community college. So right now we are just living in the moment. We have goals but we are mainly thinking about today rather than tomorrow. She wants a family eventually. I smoke. She doesn't drink coffee. I am Buddhist and she is Christian.

However even granted that we have a lot of things not in common, I wouldn't push her away. If we break up I will cross that bridge tomorrow.

What's the difference between goals and life goals?

We have a liking for music and movies. Festivals and performances. We cook. We hate winter, ha. But, for example, I like arts and crafts and she says she can't make a stick figure. I would be willing to go to a Bible class with her because I am curious. All in all with every woman I have been with it is easier for me to do what they like than have them do what I like. For example I will listen to the others music rather than them appreciating mine. Mind you I enjoy the status quo of refilling my curiosity and learn the things that my sig other likes.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

federica said:

I'd agree with you there. However, at which point being flexible becomes compromising our own needs?
    The first thing I thought when I read Federica's post (though it was a valid point) was that it doesn't need to be EITHER compatibility, it's need to be a mix of both.

Your specific point brings up the need to learn enough about the potential partner IN ADVANCE to determine if compatibility and flexibility can meet the right mix.

I knew one couple who had a rule. One evening a week he did what he wanted...individually. One evening she did what she wanted. One evening they decided on something to do together. A good idea.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    This was the water cooler topic all last week at work......
    Is is compatibility or chemistry? Well...thanks to online
    dating and checking boxes...yes, compatibility can be found....
    but we decided it's the chemistry.....that's why we put up
    with someone else's crap and even TRY to be flexible...hahaha.

But...Ewwww... I still can't use anyone's toothbrush...hahaha....
  • jaejae Veteran
    Trusting someone to be honest is in my opinion is more important than compatibility, flexibility or chemistry, we change all the time, we make mistakes all the time we need to communicate openly without fear....just my thoughts.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Vastmind.... I'm with you there on the toothbrush topic!! :eek2:
    Vastmind
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited January 2014

Compatibility matters more than blind love.
    It seems to me it all comes down to expectations one way or another..
  • How important do you think compatibility between two people in relationship is? It is important to find someone who shares your values, interests etc, or is something you work out in the course of relationship?

Do you mean relationships in general or only romantic relationships?
    I meant romantic.
  • I've had my fair share of romantic encounters.

Keyword is encounter.

The allure is in exploring the body, be it sexually or affectionately. You may have some likes that you can relate to. But really its about the qualities that arise within us and we project that onto the other. She loves me and we get the classic falling in love.

If we can stay in that brutal intimacy and pure arising of our buddhic qualities then that is in a way a gateway towards our liberated state.

But with always with the good arises the bad. So even though its great and we are nicer, open, loving, more alive than ever. The habitual tendencies to want to concretize the relationship also arises. We want to own the other. We want to horde the pleasure for future moments. We start to see aspects in them that we overlooked and we desire for them to change. It becomes no longer about enjoy their presence free from future or past but becomes about abstract, envisioned dreams of idealization. We will get married, I hope she never leaves me.

We say stupid, stupid, impossible things like I will love you forever, never leave me, you are not supposed to look at other guys/girls/etc.

We tell a dying meat machine that we own them. That they cannot die.

This is something we all have gone through. The highs and lows. The promises we tried to keep and the lies we tell.

And there are some that make it past this stage. And you should really ask them what love means to them. Love has a different flavor than the romantic inclinations of the modern culture.

And at the same time reality isn't inherently structured in any way. What we are dealing with is our perceptions and projections. A playing out of state of being towards the world and other. This playful dance need not ever lose the passion found in falling in love. If we can realize the groundlessness of all situation and beings in this very instant then there is only falling in love without the need of others.

Then you can really enjoy the company of others without making insane claims of permanence and ownership.

The dharma is a reflection of the ignorance we affirm continually in our lives. And relationships directly reflect this. The other person is never the problem, nor is it your problem. What we lack is awareness and a willingness to investigate and toss the old.

I love you guys and I know a lot of being desire to fall in love out of their deep loneliness and lack. I'm there with you, but I urge everyone to find a creative solution for this. Sit, open your heart, and let the world tell you her secrets.

With love.

Davidrobot
  • @taiyaki said:

Then you can really enjoy the company of others without making insane claims of permanence and ownership.
    That reminds me of @Federica always saying "he who controls the least loves the most".
    DandelionDavid
  • If we look at control in our lives its simply arises out of fear.

And the basic fear is that we are going to die.

And it is exactly this belief in the entity that needs to protect itself from the inevitability of death, which propels all actions for control and security.

We do this in the broadest sense through attachment and aggression. And the subtlest sense with securing the three thought process of subject, action and object.

Love on the other hand cannot be fabricated into narrow definition arising out of insecurity. We have just believed infatuation and the biological momentum to be love.

Love is the moment we step outside any beliefs.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Jeffrey said:

@Dakini, how do you know who is spendy or frugal from just going on dates? Just on a date someone could splurge even if that is not normal for them, right?

What do you mean by goals?

The point is that if two people are contemplating marriage, by then they should have an idea of each other's money-managing habits. And if they don't, they need to find out. Some churches and pre-marriage counselors offer workshops to couples aimed at posing and discussing crucial questions such as this. If a couple discovers only after tying the knot that one chronically runs up the credit cards (and this usually happens without any discussion on what their shared bank account can afford and who should get to spend on what), then the couple's in for a rocky road.

I can relate to what you're saying about goals. I used to be that way myself. Really couldn't relate to or understand the g-word at all. But a lot of people do have goals, for their careers, their retirement plans, personal growth, education, kids/no kids, all kinds of things. You and your gf sound pretty well matched. But if one person in a couple is very in-the-moment and devil-may-care, while the other is a long-range planner, conflicts can arise, and some couples decide they're not a good match on that basis.

I just think the author of that article is painting an overly-simplified picture.

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey said:

@taiyaki said:

That reminds me of @Federica always saying "he who controls the least loves the most".

Pardon me, but it's actually

"He who cares the least - Controls the most."
    Someone who doesn't care at all - probably doesn't 'love' at all, either.

@taiyaki well said. I was thinking more of compatibility beyond the initial infatuation phase.. Also, I think it's not helpful to dismiss what we label "insecurities" in favour of some higher perception.. The lotus needs the mud, remember.

• You should be in a relationship with someone who is honest, treats you with kindness and you like being around them
    BunksJeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I've been thinking a lot about this, though not in the context of a romantic relationship. After having a discussion with several people in an online group (a quite small one that I've been a part of since the 90s) it seems that our individual needs get in the way the most. We are told, as part of basic human psychology, that we all have needs, and that it's basically ok to insist to a degree that someone else meets those needs for us. That we all have ego, and since we all have it and needs associated with it, that makes us all normal and thus we have an inherent right to our needs and to insist they are met. That doesn't work well for most people and leads to a lot of relationship conflict, whether between kids and parents, friends, romantic partners and so on.

Obviously some people truly have needs others must provide, children, the elderly, the disabled. But beyond our basic needs, a lot of our needs are just things we really need to cultivate for ourselves instead of demanding someone else meet them for us. I never understood that, when my mom would tell me things like "Well what about my needs in our relationship?" and how to consolidate that with the fact that her insistence I meet some of her needs went against my own needs. When, in fact, a lot of those needs were not my responsibility.

I've found, with my husband, my kids, my parents, that when I truly let go of what I think I need from them, and the inevitable disappointment that comes when they fail to meet my need (half the time needs I perceived I had and didn't even share with them yet I faulted them for not meeting them) things go much better.

As far as how important it is, that idea changes when you get rid of the idea that you need a partner to complete you, to fill a void in your life, to meet needs you are not meeting for yourself. My husband comes from a well off republican Catholic family. I come from a family of crazy people ;) He loves baseball and photography and I love reading and hiking. But we've found that we can easily join those things together, yet sometimes it's ok if we don't.

In going through my history with past relationships, I would say to worry more about what needs of yours aren't being met that you believe a relationship will meet...and find ways to meet them yourself. Stop expecting that someone in your life, or someone out there you haven't met yet, should be the one to do that, because they just aren't. When you meet your own needs you can let go of that disappointment and anxiety and sadness that comes when you think your partner failed you.
    Bunks
  • The Buddha said we should have love without expectation for all sentient beings. Relationships are no exception. However, I'd suggest finding someone with things you have in common, even though it won't stay that way.